simple A7V flashing!

G

I have never flashed before, VERY SCARED! but MUST flash my A7V, I have a manual and i have been to asus website but it is VERy hard for me to uderstand how to flash (mobo BIOS), they says do that and that and that, can anybody write me simple EASY steps what to do (in order), like:
1. ****
2. ****
3. ****
... and so on until the end! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank You!(try to be as simple as possible)

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
1. create bootable floppy
2. transfew the bios flash utility and the new bios file to it
3 reboot from the floppy
4 run the bios flash utility
5 follow the instructions

Im not sure what bios you board has, if its award, then the bios flash util is calld awardflash.exe , not sure about amibios, i've used it in the past but cant remember offhand. When you run the flash util, it will probably ask you toi back up your current bios, call this something like "oldbios.bin", it will then ask you for the name of the file you wish to flash- this is the name of the bios update that you downloaded. if you have probs with the new bios, reboot from the floppy, and reflash with oldbios.bin

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

if I will make a bootable floppy then it will have Autoexec files and stuff but it says that I SHOULD NOT PUT THEM THERE! the only flash utility I have is AFLASH.EXE and zipped 1007 update file, I have AWARD BIOS but it doesn't say anything about AWARDFLASH....advice?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
aflash.exe is the file I meant, sorry
By "bootable disk" I didnt mean a windows boot disk. if you are running win98, this is easy to create, on ME, its not....
on 98, put in a blank floppy, open my computer, right click the floppy and choose FORMAT, then on the format screen, put a tick in where it says "copyt system files", you can then copy awdflsh.exe and the .bin fil to it, and boot from it. I THINK now that the later bios flashes from award come with a batchfile called "runme" or something like that, these auotomatically run the flash util and flash the bios, but they dont give the option to backup the old bios., im not sure if its ALL the flashes that have this, or just some, either way, all you relaly need are the boot files, the awflash.exe and the .bin file

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I run WinME...:-( *sigh*
Make your bootdisk by WinME, then delete all files except <b><font color=blue>Command.com, IO.sys and Msdos.sys</b></font color=blue>. It will boot into <b>DOS</b>.
I did that for my friend few months ago to flash his Abit BIOS.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

was it OK? I also have a question about zipped files. I think update is zipped, should I unzip on a floppy or what? Thank for helping so far.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes. You need to extract file *.awd and put it in floppy as well as Award utility aflash.exe.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

and also, can there any problems and sudden, unexpected questions? Like if I won't be able to know what does it mean? what should I do? I can't turn off the power! (it says in the manual)? It takes about 10 seconds to flash it, right?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Basically, it wouldn't have any serious problem except loosing power in the middle of flashing. It could render your comp unbootable. When you flash it, AFlash will give you the choice to save your current BIOS, and you should save it. Just in case the new BIOS causes trouble, then you'd be able to flash back.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you night have to put the Aflash.exe on a different disk because it might not fit.
Yes, it fits in floppy disk. Aflash (94K) and file *.awd (256K). System files around 300K. You still have ~700K free.