swiftech

G

ive heard that the swiftech is the best hs/fan for cooling, and i dont care about the noise. Is this correct? Also, about how much does it cost and what would be the best website (or store) to get it from?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by keithqw on 06/26/01 04:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Swiftech makes heatsinks, not fans. A black label Delta 7000rpm 38cfm fan is the best 60mm cooling fan on earth. In my limited opinion at this moment, based on reading reviews and hearing testimonials, the current price/performance champions are either a Thermosonic Thermoengine with the Delta fan, for about $30. Or the $12 Thermaltake Volcano II with a Delta fan strapped to it.

I myself use the Alpha Pal-6035, with Delta fan, and run very cool. I have a gig Athlon @ 1314mhz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com" target="_new">http://www.nexfan.com</A> has all these things the other guy mentioned, including the VolcanoII for $9, the VocanoII with Delta fan for $17, and the Swiftech for $49. I am ordering an ND8 for $12 and will let everyone know how well it works-the VocanoII is my current favorite. Oh, and the ND8 with Delta cost $18.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

The Swiftech 462-A which is the best of the swiftys and is the copper one cost usually around $80
The Swiftech 370 (all aluminium) is around $47.
Volcano2 for $13 and Delta fan $11
Thermoengine w/Delta $35

www.sidewindercomputers.com
www.crazypc.com

Good places to get them.

Oh yea and I believe the Swiftech heatsinks actually use an 80mm fan not a 60.

"Sorry Sir we can't replace your Toshiba cup holder....Toshiba does not make cup holders."

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have the ThermoEngine with a Delta fan and I get idle temps of about 28C. I also have a slot fan and an intake fan.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Yeah I got my Alpha Pal from Nexfan, nice store. I get idle temps of around 30C with my Alpha and Delta (of which I wanna ditch, way too loud... thinking of watercooling though) and about 40 under load. Might just get a quieter YS tech fan, or a Sunon.

G

guys, Idle temps don't matter. Most heatsinks have the cpu idle temps around the same as they can only bring it as close to room temp as possible since that is the temp of the air you are blowing on it. What really matter is full load temps (where you cpu is running at 100% for a long time) this is where you would run into problems with games crashing and overall system unstability. As it stands, the swiftech 462 is the best heatsink although it costs quite a lot. Some other heatsinks that perform quite close to the swiftech 462 and cost much less are:
OCZ Gladiator
Thermalright SK6
Glaciator

Oh, and swiftech doesn't make the heatsinks. They have a sub contractor (which I can't remember who right now) who actually makes the heatsinks, swiftech bundles them with fans, mounting screws, thermal paste and adds a lot to the price.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by m_kelder on 06/26/01 11:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Honestly, I'd have to say the Swiftech 462 is way overpriced. If I was to buy a new cooler at this moment (I'm waitng for the new Alphas to come out) I'd buy a stock Thermoengine, one for it's noise (my delta is going in the parts bin soon as I find a decent replacement) and it's cooling power (black anodized aluminum works great).