Printing DOS in Windows XP

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am unable to print from a DOS program under Windows XP
onto a home network shared printer. I seem to remember
that DOS can only print to a printer with a fixed number
of characters in the printer's description. On the
network, my printer name is "HP Laser 4L on XXXXXXX",
where the X's are my network numbers. I have tried to
rename the printer with a shorter name on the host
computer, but I cannot seem to get the numbers out of the
description. The DOS program prints fine from the host
computer, and the numbers do not appear in the printer
name on the host computer.
Thanks.

This page might help:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
Printing from DOS with Windows 2000 or XP

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am unable to print from a DOS program under Windows XP
> onto a home network shared printer. I seem to remember
> that DOS can only print to a printer with a fixed number
> of characters in the printer's description. On the
> network, my printer name is "HP Laser 4L on XXXXXXX",
> where the X's are my network numbers. I have tried to
> rename the printer with a shorter name on the host
> computer, but I cannot seem to get the numbers out of the
> description. The DOS program prints fine from the host
> computer, and the numbers do not appear in the printer
> name on the host computer.
> Thanks.

Gary,

> I am unable to print from a DOS program under Windows XP

have a look at Printfil. I think you can find it rather interesting.

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all