Problem Printing from DOS in Win XP

Hi all

The problem is that I have a dot matrix printer (STAR LC 2415) installed in a print server. I then share the printer from the server and all clients can print with no problem at all, except one Windows XP client which refuses to print. The app is an old DOS app we have in Greece. I have mapped the printer to the correct port using "net use lpt4..." and when I type net use the results show the status of the port as OK. There's no problem with rights and stuff because I can print from Windows apps, such as Notepad. I tried to change the port but the problem remains.

Anyone having any suggestions at all ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about problem printing

    XP OS only supports mapping LPT1:, LPT2:, and LPT3:.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Agelos" <Agelos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > The problem is that I have a dot matrix printer (STAR LC 2415) installed
    in a print server. I then share the printer from the server and all clients
    can print with no problem at all, except one Windows XP client which refuses
    to print. The app is an old DOS app we have in Greece. I have mapped the
    printer to the correct port using "net use lpt4..." and when I type net use
    the results show the status of the port as OK. There's no problem with
    rights and stuff because I can print from Windows apps, such as Notepad. I
    tried to change the port but the problem remains.

    > Anyone having any suggestions at all ? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    OH MY GOD !!!! And I thought I was good with Windows XP :-)

    I am going to try this first thing Monday morning...

    Thank you very much

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > XP OS only supports mapping LPT1:, LPT2:, and LPT3:.
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "Agelos" <Agelos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > The problem is that I have a dot matrix printer (STAR LC 2415) installed
    > in a print server. I then share the printer from the server and all clients
    > can print with no problem at all, except one Windows XP client which refuses
    > to print. The app is an old DOS app we have in Greece. I have mapped the
    > printer to the correct port using "net use lpt4..." and when I type net use
    > the results show the status of the port as OK. There's no problem with
    > rights and stuff because I can print from Windows apps, such as Notepad. I
    > tried to change the port but the problem remains.
    > >
    > > Anyone having any suggestions at all ? Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.

Windows XP Printers