My Printers Folder is Empty

I have a new Dell computer with Windows XP professional. Yesterday toward the end of the day, I was all of a sudden unable to print. Upon investigation, I discovered my printers and faxes folder was totally empty. If I click on "Add a printer," I get an error message stating "Operation could not be completed." I tried to re-install the software for the printer (Brother HL-1850) via the cd, but don't get very far before I get this message: "Installshield Engine has encountered a problem and needs to close," after which I'm back to where I started....

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Printers and Faxes need the "Print Spooler Service" to be running. Check if
the spooler service is running. ( Run services.msc and check the status of
'Print Service'). Give us more details on the problem if the issue still
persists even after spooler service is started.

--
Naresh Chandrasekaran,

purposes only.

"Kris Schmucker" <Kris Schmucker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a new Dell computer with Windows XP professional. Yesterday toward
the end of the day, I was all of a sudden unable to print. Upon
investigation, I discovered my printers and faxes folder was totally empty.
If I click on "Add a printer," I get an error message stating "Operation
could not be completed." I tried to re-install the software for the printer
(Brother HL-1850) via the cd, but don't get very far before I get this
message: "Installshield Engine has encountered a problem and needs to
close," after which I'm back to where I started....

> Any input would be appreciated.
> Thanks,

I tried that. This was on a new Dell computer that came with Windows XP already installed. This was, in fact, the second time this happened. I had returned my first order because of a very similar problem and Dell sent me a replacement. This second new computer worked ok for a couple weeks, but then it started giving me these same issues. We had to end up totally reinstalling Windows XP. So far, it is working great after the fresh reinstallation. My IT person thinks it is a Windows XP issue.