FOP38 is still the greatest?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Fastest? I don't know. I'll drop several different HSF's from the top of my house and post the results in a couple of hours.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=red>I am pretty sure than newton proved they would all be the same speed Burger.... :tongue:

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, it was a joke. Originally his post said fastest in the subject, not greatest. The little punk edited it to try and make me looke stupid ;)

And most people in the world still think heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Umm...hello. It's called a joke. Tilt your head to the left, you'll see the little smiley at the end. You've been helped with a LOT of questions on this board in the past week (by myself as well). Do try to be a bit more tolerant about jokes.

FatBurger

Illustrious
But I realized I never answered your original question. I'm assuming you mean the best heatsink, not the fastest fan?

There will probably never be one heatsink that everybody on earth agrees is the absolute best, so there's not a firm answer on that one. However, many people swear by the FOP38, and it has done very, very well in many reviews. I personally have been more than happy with my ThermoEngine, as have lots of others.

If you're looking for a new heatsink, just read reviews. There's a good Zalman cooler around (sorry, no links. Can't remember where I saw the review), as well as some good Swiftech ones and a couple of other good Globalwin.

G

no, I ment FASTEST, BTW when I put FOP38 to my GF2MX I could clock memory up to 265Mhz - WORLD RECORD! I like FOP38, but I don't know how to make my Mom stop telling that it is way too loud and it will work bad on my nervous system(it acctaully does...) and that my cat is scared and that she is able to hear it far a way in the kitchen and she said it is a lie that people use it, cuz she was in many places with many PCs and none of them were so loud and then she got so mad and told if I want to use I can, but I can use my PC only 2 hours a day!!!! NO WAY! I better stick with an old fan but will use my PC as long and I want..lucky ya all that don't hae parents complaining about your nervous system. I need to find the way to make quiet!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'm inclined to agree with your mother - you are really jumpy. Ligten up on the caffine man.

Anyway - the FOP38 is a little loud - but not the loudest. If you want something really quiet you are going to have to save your pocket money or whatever and get a watercooling setup.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

what IS watercooling? I'd have to buy it secretely cuz she forbid to spend my money on things like CPUs, videocards, RAm and games,...I don't even know what to do with the money, burn them or what? Does this watercooling cool enough? I don't expect ya give me full info, but at least where can I read about it(watercooling?)?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
okay - basic principals of watercooling.

You have a 'block' clamped to your cpu, instead of your heatsink. The 'block' has an inlet and an oultlet.

Pipes attached to the block bring water in, then carry it away. If you can imagine a circuit diagram or flowchart you have in total:

cpu water block -> pump -> radiator -> cpu block

there are options for for a reservoir too, which can hold water to give your system greater volume capacity.

The general pricipal is this, water passes through the water block, and becomes heated by your cpu, which is in contact with the block, in the same way your heatsink is right now. The hotter water is carried away by the pump into the radiator, this being equivalent to the radiator in a car. It carries the water through a series of pipes to cool down again - usually with the help of fans (but larger, slower ones than your FOP38 that sound a lot quieter) this now cooler water returns to your cpu block to repeat the process.

It is generally easier/better to have the radiator located outside the case, that way your cpu temp does not contribute to your system temp and you avoid the need for multiple large fans in your case too.

Check out this section and other forums for watercooling advice in more detail.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"It is generally easier/better to have the radiator located outside the case, that way your cpu temp does not contribute to your system temp and you avoid the need for multiple large fans in your case too."

Or you can just run an open-system like Griz. Straight from the faucet to the block, then back to the sink. No pump. Nothing.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
well - that is an option, but I discounted it in this case as he is attempting to do 'stealth' modifications without his mom finding out.

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Or you could do a fan mod get an 80or92mm fan and use something (whatever you have) to make a fan adapter and unless you get the delta 68cfm 80mm (loud) fan you will be quieter and have just as much or more airflow

SANDMAN
LEAN MEAN KILLIN MACHINE

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
A little Loud? Ive got 3 80s,1 40...Think that is loud? Got 1 120...Sounds like my vacume cleaner...Also have a fob 38..forget about hearing that thing...Athlon users need all the cooling thay can get...If you dont over clock? Still do the cooling thing.............

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hey - I know load - but the Fop38 is still loud if you are not used to it.

I've got a case with 4 x 80, 80mm delta on swiftech462, 120mm internal, 2 x drive bay coolers, chipset and vid cooler fans. Not to mention the 92 and 80 in the psu.