Paste from Radio Shack

G

I need some paste that would stick well small heatsinks to my memory chips of GF2MX card, can I get some in Radio Shack? How is it called? I have $30 left in my pocket! any suggestions? I also need this paste to tranfer heat well enough

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Well, if you're looking to do it fast, grab two of those blister pacs from Radio Smack and a tube of liquid (not gel) superglue from Wally World.

Take some aluminium foil and squeeze both blister pacs in a big lump. Add about 8 drops of superglue, mix it with a toothpick, and apply it to either the bottom of the heatsinks or the chip itself (it won't really matter either way like this). Smooth it out with a razor blade so it has a uniform depth (probably less than .5mm). Put it on the chip, twist it slightly (about 25 degrees or so), and then line it back up, and place something small but heavy on the heatsink. I use my really large sockets (in a craftsman socket set) for this purpose.
It'll take at least 30minutes for it to set up. Carefully put it back in the slot, and power up the computer. Don't overclock it for the first day, just so the superglue can dry completely, but playing any games will produce the heat needed to speed the drying process. You just don't want anything to 'boil'.

G

ah...I don't have time to do all that..isn't there just a sticky paste I can buy like Arctic Silver2 expoxy thrmal compound?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
THE BEST STUFF I'VE EVER USED IS JB WELD, SERIOUSLY! JB weld conducts heat VERY WELL, is supposed to be non-conductive (I'm carefull anyway), hold permanently, is avialable at you favorite discount or automotive store, and I've used it on several video cards. It only takes a thin film of the stuff BTW, you do not want to make a mess with it!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

macodi

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
My components arrived yesterday, but they were out of Artic Silver paste. I found some at Radio Shack. I have a Volcano II and a AMD 1.2 Ghz proc. The proc. has the four spongy feet on each corner. Do I need a shim or spacer? Also, how much paste and do I put it right on the core, which looks to be the highest point on the proc.? Should I ditch the Radio Shack stuff for JB weld?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
JB weld is permanent, making it good for memory and video chip heatsinks, but I really don't think you want to permanently attach your CPU heatsink. Radio shack paste is good for that, because it works well and is removable. The spongy feet are there to help prevent you from rocking your heatsink during installation, and even though they are not really needed are still a good idea to prevent you from doing so. You don't need a shim, just the heatsink and clip. The sticky stuff on the Volcano works very good, I tested it against other stuff with no real improvement.
For me to test other paste, I had to remove the sticky stuff from the bottom of the heatsink, and once you do, you can't go back to using the sticky stuff.
After I had tried both Radio Shack Silicon and Artic Silver II, comparing them to the original stuff, I tried buffing the scratches from the heatsink where it contacts the CPU die. I used a houshold Scotchbrite pad. This, in combinataion with paste, did yield an improvement. So if your going to remove the sticky stuff, you might as well buff the thing while your at it.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Just so you know...superglue doesn't conduct heat and it actually breaks down under heat.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

G

I can't find JB weld anywhere, where exactly did you fidn it? and what for did you use it? I mean I can o'clock my MX card to 250/225 but need 250/250 and I need to know if adding a heatsink will help, I also need to know really bad WHERE CAN I GET ARCTIC SILVER ADHESIVE??? (I live in USA) I tried one Radio Shack and they didn't have anything, but I think the guy pointed that THEY (maybe other Radio Shacks Do have it) didn't have it. an advice? How much do all those things cost?

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Look at Wal-Mart in the Automotive section.
Go to an Auto parts store,NAPA Pep Boys,Auto Zone,ect. ect.
and ask them for JB Weld you will find it at most if not all the places I have listed.
Go to<A HREF="http:// www.sidewindercomputers.com" target="_new">http:// www.sidewindercomputers.com</A> they have Arctic Silver and Arctic Silver Adhesive and they are very reasonable on cost and shipping.

Rock out with your AMD out

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
JBWELD works great and cost much less than Artic Silver Adhesive. It is a GENERAL PURPOSE REPAIR material used mainly to fix cracked castings for automotive use. So hardware stores, Wal-Mart hardware dept, and auto parts stores cary it.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>JB Weld huh.... cool I am going to have to do that to mine......

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I've used it a few times. It is a little messy, so be carefull with it. Use only a thin coat. Apply pressure to the heatink to ensure uniform coating. Heat can be used to decrease setting time, I use an oven set to "warm" (around 150F)

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Luv these posts. So varied...articulate and single minded of purpose. Imagine..to bake at 150 degrees! Not taking issue at all. Looking at problems in different ways is how we learn best. Thanx!

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

macodi

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
What was I thinking asking questions about proc heatsinks in the video card section?!? 1000 apologies. I did use jb weld between the 1.2ghz tbird and the volcano 2. Cool as a cucumber just above 40c. Not that I ever intended to remove it...and I mean ever! :)