Fax device doesn't work since last automatic XP Update

July 17, 2004 12:32:34 PM

Fax printer device has worked fine up until the last XP
Home automatic update was installed. Depending on the
application I try to print to the FAX now, I get all
sorts of bizarre message, like "resource currently
unavailable" or "insufficient memory..." or many other
strange CAN'T DO type messages. I deleted the fax
device, then let XP add it back in, and rebooted. Same
problems persist.
Device manager (before and after the remove/add) shows
device enabled and working properly. Diagnostics get
right results when modem is queried.
I CAN print to my HP DJ 5550 and to Adobe Acrobat writer
with no problems.
What I have noticed is in SOME applications, the FAX
device now shows up as "FAX on SHRFAX", which does not
look right at all. The device cannot be shared, and is
not shared according to device manager properties for the
fax device.
Anybody else out there having similar problems?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 6:04:05 PM

Haven't seen any reports like it.
Which update caused it?
List the steps you use to fax and the exact error message you get when you
try.
What does Event viewer tell you?
Is your fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Stan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Fax printer device has worked fine up until the last XP
> Home automatic update was installed. Depending on the
> application I try to print to the FAX now, I get all
> sorts of bizarre message, like "resource currently
> unavailable" or "insufficient memory..." or many other
> strange CAN'T DO type messages. I deleted the fax
> device, then let XP add it back in, and rebooted. Same
> problems persist.
> Device manager (before and after the remove/add) shows
> device enabled and working properly. Diagnostics get
> right results when modem is queried.
> I CAN print to my HP DJ 5550 and to Adobe Acrobat writer
> with no problems.
> What I have noticed is in SOME applications, the FAX
> device now shows up as "FAX on SHRFAX", which does not
> look right at all. The device cannot be shared, and is
> not shared according to device manager properties for the
> fax device.
> Anybody else out there having similar problems?
July 17, 2004 6:04:06 PM

This is a 1.5 year old HP Pavilion, with all original
hardware, including Lucent modem card. Worked
beautifully till now, with NO hardware/software changes
on my part in the last year. This is sort of a casual
use (email, surfing) PC.
I deleted the local Fax printer (again) and added it
back. All properties look A-OK, like original. Modem is
responding to query commands. On MS Office products,
when try to print to Fax, get an error "Windows cannot
print due to problem with the current printer setup...
reinstall the driver"... Which I have three times now.
On HP's MyPhotoCenter application, when I try to Fax an
image, it tells me "Please install printer". It is
installed!
On MS Outlook, printing to Fax gives "There was an error
when printing started. To check printer setup... go to
control panel.."
On Adobe Acrobat, printing to Fax gives "A required
resource cannot be loaded". The Print window shows the
Fax status as Ready, Type is MS shared Fax Driver, Where
is "SHRFAX". That definitely does not look right to me,
as I recall!
On the subject of events logs, the only thing Fax related
is info entries related to starting of the Fax service.
Like I say, this has worked A-OK since day one, till now,
and I remember a MS auto-update a two or three days ago,
which may or may not have anything to do with my
inability to Fax now. I don't fax on a daily basis.
Thanks.
message you get when you
>try.
>What does Event viewer tell you?
>Is your fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
>--
>Russ Valentine
>[MVP-Outlook]
>"Stan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Fax printer device has worked fine up until the last XP
>> Home automatic update was installed. Depending on the
>> application I try to print to the FAX now, I get all
>> sorts of bizarre message, like "resource currently
>> unavailable" or "insufficient memory..." or many other
>> strange CAN'T DO type messages. I deleted the fax
>> device, then let XP add it back in, and rebooted. Same
>> problems persist.
>> Device manager (before and after the remove/add) shows
>> device enabled and working properly. Diagnostics get
>> right results when modem is queried.
>> I CAN print to my HP DJ 5550 and to Adobe Acrobat
writer
>> with no problems.
>> What I have noticed is in SOME applications, the FAX
>> device now shows up as "FAX on SHRFAX", which does not
>> look right at all. The device cannot be shared, and is
>> not shared according to device manager properties for
the
>> fax device.
>> Anybody else out there having similar problems?
>

>.

July 17, 2004 8:14:22 PM

What is the startup type for the Fax Service?
--
> This is a 1.5 year old HP Pavilion, with all original
> hardware, including Lucent modem card. Worked
> beautifully till now, with NO hardware/software changes
> on my part in the last year. This is sort of a casual
> use (email, surfing) PC.
> I deleted the local Fax printer (again) and added it
> back. All properties look A-OK, like original. Modem is
> responding to query commands. On MS Office products,
> when try to print to Fax, get an error "Windows cannot
> print due to problem with the current printer setup...
> reinstall the driver"... Which I have three times now.
> On HP's MyPhotoCenter application, when I try to Fax an
> image, it tells me "Please install printer". It is
> installed!
> On MS Outlook, printing to Fax gives "There was an error
> when printing started. To check printer setup... go to
> control panel.."
> On Adobe Acrobat, printing to Fax gives "A required
> resource cannot be loaded". The Print window shows the
> Fax status as Ready, Type is MS shared Fax Driver, Where
> is "SHRFAX". That definitely does not look right to me,
> as I recall!
> On the subject of events logs, the only thing Fax related
> is info entries related to starting of the Fax service.
> Like I say, this has worked A-OK since day one, till now,
> and I remember a MS auto-update a two or three days ago,
> which may or may not have anything to do with my
> inability to Fax now. I don't fax on a daily basis.
> Thanks.

July 17, 2004 8:14:23 PM

Fax service showed Status (empty), Startup Type Automatic
and Local Service logon. I cleared all three system logs.
I started the Fax service manually through the services
window, tried to print to the Fax device and this time
got no appl. errors, no error event log entries, as well
as *nothing* happening where I would normally expect to
see the send fax dialogue pop up.
I then stopped the Fax service manually, tried to print
again to the Fax device and got the same screwy error
messages about the Fax device. NO error or warning
entries in the event logs.
The only things showing up in the event logs are my
manual starts and stops of the Fax service, and resulting
ack's that the OS did what I asked and started and
stopped the Fax service.
This is really bizarre!!

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 1:00:44 AM

Not a known issue. Provide as many steps to repro as accurately as possible
and I'll send it on.
--
> Fax service showed Status (empty), Startup Type Automatic
> and Local Service logon. I cleared all three system logs.
> I started the Fax service manually through the services
> window, tried to print to the Fax device and this time
> got no appl. errors, no error event log entries, as well
> as *nothing* happening where I would normally expect to
> see the send fax dialogue pop up.
> I then stopped the Fax service manually, tried to print
> again to the Fax device and got the same screwy error
> messages about the Fax device. NO error or warning
> entries in the event logs.
> The only things showing up in the event logs are my
> manual starts and stops of the Fax service, and resulting
> ack's that the OS did what I asked and started and
> stopped the Fax service.
> This is really bizarre!!

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 10:26:52 AM

OK, new day, try more things.
1. Clear all three event logs.
2. Deleted Fax device and modem card.
3. Added modem card and Fax device.
4. Right click on Fax device, Properties, General tab
shows Model: MicroSoft Shared Fax Driver (SHARED????)
5. Right click on Fax device, System Information tab
shows only HP DJ 5550 and Acrobat Distiller, NOT the Fax
device.
6. Try to print to Fax from Excel. Get error window:
"Your file could not be printed due to an error on Fax on
Ne02. ... try reinstalling driver, etc.". This SOUNDS
like it thinks the Fax device is somehow networked!
7. Event logs show Fax service started along with other
automatic services, as it should. No errors or warnings
at OS level.
Maybe this helps.
Thanks,
Stan Smith

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 2:30:44 PM

No, the Fax Driver should be listed as "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver" as the
Model. That's normal.
Explain point 5.
When you go to Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status, what do you see?
We won't be able to troubleshoot much if you don't know what changes caused
this problem. What were these updates? Might one of them have been a driver
update for your modem? Is your modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> OK, new day, try more things.
> 1. Clear all three event logs.
> 2. Deleted Fax device and modem card.
> 3. Added modem card and Fax device.
> 4. Right click on Fax device, Properties, General tab
> shows Model: MicroSoft Shared Fax Driver (SHARED????)
> 5. Right click on Fax device, System Information tab
> shows only HP DJ 5550 and Acrobat Distiller, NOT the Fax
> device.
> 6. Try to print to Fax from Excel. Get error window:
> "Your file could not be printed due to an error on Fax on
> Ne02. ... try reinstalling driver, etc.". This SOUNDS
> like it thinks the Fax device is somehow networked!
> 7. Event logs show Fax service started along with other
> automatic services, as it should. No errors or warnings
> at OS level.
> Maybe this helps.
> Thanks,
> Stan Smith

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 2:30:45 PM

Thanks for the help!
The Fax status show Local Online.
If you right click on any of the three printers (HP
DJ550, Acrobat Distiller or Fax) in the show printers
Control Panel screen, it pulls up a System Info. multi-
tab window.
For the Printers tab, there is a pull-down to select
printer. The ONLY printers shown are the HP DJ5550 and
Acrobat Distiller. It's like the Fax is there, but not
there, depending on what you use to look at it.
The ONLY updates to XP Home OS have been automatically
sent to me by MS and installed as/when recommended. I
have not updated nor added any other applications on the
PC. I have not changed any hardware in any way.
The PCI modem card came in the PC and has worked A-OK on
XP Home since Day 1 and never been touched. I can delete
and add it all day long in the control panel. It's a
Lucent Technologies internal and uses a MS certified
driver. I use the modem ONLY for Faxes as I have a cable
modem supplying the internet to me.
Thanks

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 5:16:32 PM

Please check to see if your modem is on the Windows XP HCL list.
See if there are newer drivers available for it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Thanks for the help!
> The Fax status show Local Online.
> If you right click on any of the three printers (HP
> DJ550, Acrobat Distiller or Fax) in the show printers
> Control Panel screen, it pulls up a System Info. multi-
> tab window.
> For the Printers tab, there is a pull-down to select
> printer. The ONLY printers shown are the HP DJ5550 and
> Acrobat Distiller. It's like the Fax is there, but not
> there, depending on what you use to look at it.
> The ONLY updates to XP Home OS have been automatically
> sent to me by MS and installed as/when recommended. I
> have not updated nor added any other applications on the
> PC. I have not changed any hardware in any way.
> The PCI modem card came in the PC and has worked A-OK on
> XP Home since Day 1 and never been touched. I can delete
> and add it all day long in the control panel. It's a
> Lucent Technologies internal and uses a MS certified
> driver. I use the modem ONLY for Faxes as I have a cable
> modem supplying the internet to me.
> Thanks

July 29, 2004 12:11:03 PM

OK, here's the repeatable current situation...
1. Deleted Fax and Modem through Control Panel.
2. Cleared all system logs.
3. Cleared all Norton AV and FW logs.
4. Insured a clean registry, no viruses, worms, etc. via a Norton AV & WinDoctor clean run.
5. Rebooted PC.
6. Through Control Panel, both Modem and Fax printer look fine after auto-configuration and appear operational.
7. Opened Fax Console through Start Programs-Accessories-Communications-Fax Console.
a. Fax Printer Status: Local Online
b. "Send A Fax" yields "The Fax printer cannot be accessed. Make sure it is properly setup."
c. "Receive a Fax Now" yields the correct Fax Monitor communications screen and there is sound coming from the modem card!
8. Printing applications, when directed to the fax printer, either give a variety of failure message windows indicating improperly setup fax printe, resource not availabler, or fax printer not installed when print to Fax is selected, OR there is NO failure window that pops up at all and the fax print goes into the "bit bucket". Also, there is nothing relevant in system logs, other than startup of fax service.

I do not think I have a hardware problem, since I can manually RECEIVE a fax through the fax console. I think it may to be some problem with the fax print spooler subsystem, but I have yet to see any error message/event yet that would point me in any specific corrective direction. The spooler for my local HP DJ5550 printer is working perfectly, as always. I can also print to the Acrobat Distiller with no problem.

On 7/29, I removed ALL three printer devices and Control Panel Add/Remove Programs printer-related applications from my PC, along with all print drivers (HPDJ) using the "File, Server Properties, Properties" on the Printers and Faxes Control Panel window. I then used XP Resource Toolkit command "cleanspl" and cleared out everything except the Standard TCP/IP Port and the BJ Language Monitor. I rebooted the system, with the HP DJ5550 USB disconnected.
I then went into Control Panel-Printers and Faxes and no printers show up, as expected. I then tried to "Install a local Fax printer", but *nothing* happens at all. Maybe this is indicative of my underlying problem. I have reinstalled my HP DJ5550 software so I can print again locally, but I now cannot even setup a local Fax printer.
The only anomalies on this PC I can think of are a couple of times the UPS failed (bad battery) during power outages over the past few weeks. which has been remedied with a new UPS. I still think I should be seeing some errors, warning, etc. in the system event files, error windows, etc., though if something were corrupt or missing. Instead, I see nothing other than the startup of the fax service when it was installed.
Any ideas out there??? Fortunately I don't use XP Fax that much, but when I do, I really need it.

!