FAX

I had my fax functioning fine while plugged into an extra
phone line that had no phone attached. But I no longer
wanted to pay for that extra line, so I have now plugged
the fax/phone wire from the computer into my home phone
jack instead...But now when the telephone rings the fax
rings as well...and it interferes with the phone call.
Is there a way to keep them separated? I don't want the
phone to automatically begin a fax.
thank you. Judith
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Turn off automatic reception. There is no way for Fax software to
    distinguish fax from voice calls.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Judith B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had my fax functioning fine while plugged into an extra
    > phone line that had no phone attached. But I no longer
    > wanted to pay for that extra line, so I have now plugged
    > the fax/phone wire from the computer into my home phone
    > jack instead...But now when the telephone rings the fax
    > rings as well...and it interferes with the phone call.
    > Is there a way to keep them separated? I don't want the
    > phone to automatically begin a fax.
    > thank you. Judith

    Thank you. I had done that. But still when the phone
    rings the fax starts to receive, and is on when I answer
    the phone.....

    ok...I have that. Thanks. But now the only way I know if
    it's a fax or a phone call is by answering the phone. And
    the only way I can receive a fax is if I am at my
    computer. Not if I'm out. Not very convenient.

    Distinctive Ring is not supported by Windows XP. Therefore, Windows XP Fax
    will answer every incoming call it receives. The alternative is to install
    an external switching device to your phone line. You can find some here:

    http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
    Emerson Switchboard
    http://www.command-comm.com/products.html

    ComSwitch®

    --
    > ok...I have that. Thanks. But now the only way I know if
    > it's a fax or a phone call is by answering the phone. And
    > the only way I can receive a fax is if I am at my
    > computer. Not if I'm out. Not very convenient.

Phones Fax Windows XP