[EQ1] I said a bad word

I was chatting in the tradeskill channel last night, and discovered
two things:

1) Unlike most cases where you see your own chatter (/say, /gsay,
or even ";tell <yourself>"), when you see your own text in a named
chat channel it's subject to the "bad word" filter.

2) The bad word filter objects to the word "nerfage".

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 49 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

"Don Woods" <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in message

> 2) The bad word filter objects to the word "nerfage".

Dont we all? ;p

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message

> "Don Woods" <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in message
>
>> 2) The bad word filter objects to the word "nerfage".
>>

> Dont we all? ;p

Is the word 'dearest comrade' blocked by the bad word filter? If so, that could be
why...it just saw 'f', 'a', and 'g' together and disregarded the letters
before and after...maybe. *shrug* Otherwise, SOE just has gotten tired of
the word 'nerfage' and has begun blocking it. :p

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Firian, 19th level Night Elf Hunter, Ner'zhul

In article <275c31tfucsq6nkrkatluu4r74t6knvg7k@4ax.com>, Red Baron
wrote:
> in Knight Online , the sequence of letters "t i t" are replaced by
> asterisks, even if they are seperated by spaces eg
> "but i told you so"
> becomes
> "bu* * *old you so"

In a filter I did for a chat server, I avoided that problem by having
two word lists: the list of bad words, and a list of known good words.
All the known good words in a /tell where marked as protected by the
filter, and bad words were only flagged if they did not overlap anything
that was protected.

So, in your example, my filters would see that "but", "I", and "told"
are in the known good words, and so would mark those letters as all
protected, and so the "tit" in there would not be filtered.

--
--Tim Smith

"Tim Smith" <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
> In article <275c31tfucsq6nkrkatluu4r74t6knvg7k@4ax.com>, Red Baron
> wrote:
> > in Knight Online , the sequence of letters "t i t" are replaced by
> > asterisks, even if they are seperated by spaces eg
> > "but i told you so"
> > becomes
> > "bu* * *old you so"
>
> In a filter I did for a chat server, I avoided that problem by having
> two word lists: the list of bad words, and a list of known good words.
> All the known good words in a /tell where marked as protected by the
> filter, and bad words were only flagged if they did not overlap anything
> that was protected.
>
> So, in your example, my filters would see that "but", "I", and "told"
> are in the known good words, and so would mark those letters as all
> protected, and so the "tit" in there would not be filtered.

If only AOL had done that for their filters....
---------------------
In a famously embarrassing incident in 1996, America Online's errant dirty-word
filter prevented residents of the British town Scunthorpe from signing up as new
customers. Google's SafeSearch makes the same mistake, blocking local news sites
like ThisIsScunthorpe.co.uk and ScunthorpeDistrictCatsProtection.co.uk, a
housecat-adoption site.
--------------------

I'll have to try out Scunthorpe in EQ2 and see what happens!

Rich

"Firian" <G.Booth@usm.edu> writes:
> >> 2) The bad word filter objects to the word "nerfage".
> >
> > Dont we all? ;p
>
> Is the word 'dearest comrade' blocked by the bad word filter? If so, that could be
> why...it just saw 'f', 'a', and 'g' together and disregarded the letters
> before and after...maybe. *shrug* Otherwise, SOE just has gotten tired of
> the word 'nerfage' and has begun blocking it. :p

Ah, indeed, that's it. Any word with 'dearest comrade' in it gets blocked.
Not that there are very many such words (and how often do we talk
about roofage in-game? :).

Substring filtering probably accounts for a lot of the unexpected
gibberish I've seen. (It's obviously the cause of the well-known
garbling of 'cockatrice'.)

Shucks, I was sort of hoping it was due to a developer with a
twisted sense of humor deliberately adding 'nerfage' to the list. :)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 50 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

stevo

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002

The filter at my work really doesn't like the place "Scunthorpe".