Wireless - What to do with a card

Hi,

I wanted to know how does one set about accessing the Internet wirelessly
after having purchased a Sierra Wireless card on eBay. The original account
(of the seller) was cancelled. AFAIK Verizon sells a new card itself along
with a new account. Nowhere did I come across any FAQs of setting up an
account using one's own card, on VZW or any other provider, for that matter.

Or, am I missing something here?

Thanks for any information.

- Jyanendra

You have an aircard, and I guess you have an account. Put the aircard (esn)
onto your account, and activate it. Then do a *22890 or run the activation
wizard, and it will be on-line. If you bought the card, you surly didn't
buy it without the install disk? Instructions? Express Network setup?
ooops

You should be able to get any drivers from the Sierra web site. But you may
have to work harder to get the venturi client that is also part of it.

--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you. Worred about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.
"Jyanendra" <info2knospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know how does one set about accessing the Internet wirelessly
> after having purchased a Sierra Wireless card on eBay. The original
account
> (of the seller) was cancelled. AFAIK Verizon sells a new card itself along
> with a new account. Nowhere did I come across any FAQs of setting up an
> account using one's own card, on VZW or any other provider, for that
matter.

> Or, am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks for any information.
>
> - Jyanendra

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I apologize for not having been clearer in my posting.

The buyer of the AC555 card on eBay does not have an "account" with Verizon
or any other wireless Internet provider (as yet). I had no problem with the
drivers, Access Manager or Venturi Client - the device itself installed
perfectly on her laptop.

The purchase was probably made in haste - under the assumption perhaps (and
I don't blame her) that all one has to do was install the PC Card and one
was set to go. But that would mean one can get online wirelessly for free!!

I have my own Unlimited account with VZW ($79/m) and I had to purchase my
PC5220 card from them, alongwith the plan!

Hence the original query - I thought it is better to ask around before going
ahead with anything. Does she call VZW to get and account and be assigned an
account before activating the device? I cannot put my finger on it but
cannot help having a nagging feeling aound this matter!

Regards and thanks.

Jyanendra

PS: There are a number of Wireless Internet PC Cards offered on eBay - but
they are for the card only (with drivers/software). I did not see any
calling plans included.

"dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
> You have an aircard, and I guess you have an account. Put the aircard
> (esn)
> onto your account, and activate it. Then do a *22890 or run the
> activation
> wizard, and it will be on-line. If you bought the card, you surly didn't
> buy it without the install disk? Instructions? Express Network setup?
> ooops
>
> You should be able to get any drivers from the Sierra web site. But you
> may
> have to work harder to get the venturi client that is also part of it.
>
> --
> dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
> Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
> Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
> computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.
>
> If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
> you. Worred about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.
> "Jyanendra" <info2knospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to know how does one set about accessing the Internet wirelessly
>> after having purchased a Sierra Wireless card on eBay. The original
> account
>> (of the seller) was cancelled. AFAIK Verizon sells a new card itself
>> along
>> with a new account. Nowhere did I come across any FAQs of setting up an
>> account using one's own card, on VZW or any other provider, for that
> matter.
>>
>> Or, am I missing something here?
>>
>> Thanks for any information.
>>
>> - Jyanendra

When I got one for my notebook, I got the account, and gave em the ESN of
the card I already had to activate on it.

<sarcasm on> Can't say it was easy.. I had to stand (broken leg cast and
crutches) in that awful line, with no special handicap line, and with no
chair to sit on, for about a whole 5 minutes at the verizon place, to get a
plan (took 5 more after that, but I got to sit at a desk), and then, after
all that hassle to take time off of work/drive to a verizon place/stand in
line etc, they told me I just could have done it over the phone! :)
<sarcasm off>

Jyanendra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I apologize for not having been clearer in my posting.
>
> The buyer of the AC555 card on eBay does not have an "account" with
> Verizon or any other wireless Internet provider (as yet). I had no
> problem with the drivers, Access Manager or Venturi Client - the
> device itself installed perfectly on her laptop.
>
> The purchase was probably made in haste - under the assumption
> perhaps (and I don't blame her) that all one has to do was install
> the PC Card and one was set to go. But that would mean one can get
> online wirelessly for free!!
> I have my own Unlimited account with VZW ($79/m) and I had to
> purchase my PC5220 card from them, alongwith the plan!
>
> Hence the original query - I thought it is better to ask around
> before going ahead with anything. Does she call VZW to get and
> account and be assigned an account before activating the device? I
> cannot put my finger on it but cannot help having a nagging feeling
> aound this matter!
> Regards and thanks.
>
> Jyanendra
>
> PS: There are a number of Wireless Internet PC Cards offered on eBay
> - but they are for the card only (with drivers/software). I did not
> see any calling plans included.
>

> "dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in
> message news:m4eSd.10611$hU7.1468@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
>> You have an aircard, and I guess you have an account. Put the
>> aircard (esn)
>> onto your account, and activate it. Then do a *22890 or run the
>> activation
>> wizard, and it will be on-line. If you bought the card, you surly
>> didn't buy it without the install disk? Instructions? Express
>> Network setup? ooops
>>
>> You should be able to get any drivers from the Sierra web site. But
>> you may
>> have to work harder to get the venturi client that is also part of
>> it. --
>> dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
>> Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
>> Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
>> computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.
>>
>> If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to
>> contact you. Worred about leaving your email address..... yup, me
>> too. "Jyanendra" <info2knospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to know how does one set about accessing the Internet
>>> wirelessly after having purchased a Sierra Wireless card on eBay.
>>> The original account (of the seller) was cancelled. AFAIK Verizon
>>> sells a new card itself along
>>> with a new account. Nowhere did I come across any FAQs of setting
>>> up an account using one's own card, on VZW or any other provider,
>>> for that matter. Or, am I missing something here?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any information.
>>>
>>> - Jyanendra

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the responses.

We will visit a Verizon store shortly and/or then call CS.

Regards.

Jyanendra

> [...]
>> Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
>> Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
>> computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.
>>
>> If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to
>> contact
>> you. Worred about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.
>> "Jyanendra" <info2knospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to know how does one set about accessing the Internet
>>> wirelessly
>>> after having purchased a Sierra Wireless card on eBay. The original
>> account
>>> (of the seller) was cancelled. AFAIK Verizon sells a new card itself
>>> along
>>> with a new account. Nowhere did I come across any FAQs of setting up an
>>> account using one's own card, on VZW or any other provider, for that

She'll need a plan like you have... a wireless data plan for $50 - $70 per
month. She can call CS to sign up, since she only needs activated.