Thermo Electric Cooling Modules

G

I just bought an AMD 1.33ghz. I have a Vantec Cooler on the chip, a case fan, and a slot fan that blows the air out the back of the system. My CPU temp is still upwards of 160 degrees Fahrenheit (75 celsius?). I just bought one of those thermoelectric cooling modules to try and cool down my system. I would like to know:

1. Has anyone ever used one of these?
2. How did you install it? My directions are a bit "fuzzy"
3. Will this kind of cooling harm the cpu in anyway?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Rabidfire

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Ok first off, which Vantec heatsink do you have? If it is one designed for socket A processors, you have the thing installed wrong if it's reaching 75C. I have a Vantec cooler and my temps never go above 52, even with a case temp of 35. Did you use thermal paste like Artic silver or the thermal pad stuff? As for the TEC, there is alot that has to go in to installing a TEC setup. Almost always you will need an aditional power supply to power the TEC. On top of that, you need to do alot of silicon gel work to prevent condensation from forming. Then last, you're gonna need some way to cool the hot side of the TEC. Generally, air cooling does not work well for this task. Most the time when people use TECs, they use them in conjunction with a water cooling setup. TECs are a rather extreme cooling solution, so I would evaluate your setup and try to find what the problem is with your HSF before jumping into something like TEC cooling.

That oughta void your warrenty!

G

Ok...Ive been building systems for years now. Im curious as to how you can install an AMD Heatsink/fan incorrectly. One side loops on one end, the other side loops on the other. Whats so incorrect about that?

Rabidfire
"Chance favors the prepared mind."

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
There are lots of things you can do wrong. Not removing the tape that covers the thermal pad on a HSF is on. Applying too much thermal paste can also make temps soar. If you have the Vantec heatsink I think you have, you shouldn't see your temps get much above 15C over case temp ever. Check your Vcore too. It might be set way high or something. Also, I suppose it's possible you just got a heatsink with a really uneven bottom so it's not making good contact with the CPU core. In this case, you might consider lapping the bottom with some fine grit sandpaper and wd-40. use like a 600 grit and apply a small about of wd-40 to help lubricate things. If you aren't using artic silver, you probably should. Just be careful to apply only a small very thin layer on the core. And no last thing. I didn't see if you said you were using a shim or not. If you are, it is possible that the shim was poorly made and is preventing your CPU from making good contact with the heatsink.

That oughta void your warrenty!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
most heatsinks also have a front and a back - the indent/channel on the heatsink should be over the shoulder of the socket.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details