92 - 60 mm fan converter worth it?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was going to buy a shim for my CPU when I was offered a 92 - 60 mm fan adapter cheaper than normal. Right now I have a swiftech mc370 heat sink with a delta 38 CFM fan that is louder than my refrigerator. using this adaptor would lower the noise my case makes considerably.
To get to my point, is this worth it? would the 92mm fan giving more CFM actually cool better with this heat sink?
or should I spend the $13 for the adaptor and have a quieter case

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Well that Delta is notoriously loud. Many 92's are famously quiet (Sanyo Denki 92x25 43.8 CFM 3 pin, Sunon 92x25 44CFM 3 pin). The 92, depending on model, is likely rated ~44 cfm versus the 38 you get with the delta. The 92 may appear to have a little better performance with better acoustics but realize that once you put the reducer duct on the fan you will see a major drop in actual cfm pushed. But it would still likely be a helluva lot quieter.

I would go with the 92 if you have the room.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I agree, going with the 92 will cut down on noise a lot. The design of the adpater makes a big difference too. A linear cone shape will get a little better results, than a 'middle of the pvc reducer'. Not all fans are made the same, either. You want a 'thick' fan (i.e. steep blade pitch, lots-o-torque) to use with the converter. 92mmx30mm+ is what you're lookin fer.....

G

my experience is with the 80 to 60 adaptor. I use the Taisol heatsink and it has the screw holes to hold the adaptor. My personal experience was that my CPU temps were 51 idle and 56 or 57 load with the Stock sanyo denki 60mm fan. After putting the adaptor with a Sunon 80mm 3200rpm 43cfm 32dbm fan on top I got temps down to 46/51. So for me it was worth it. But I had to pay $38 for the japanese adaptor at Plycon.com. It is really a quality unit but sure is pricey. My rig is the A7M266 with Athlon C 1333 at 1450.

Can't we all just overclock?

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I just bought an aluminum 92 to 60 adapter from www.cpufx.com for under $20. I'm going to put a Sunon fan with close to 50 CFM at about 35 dba.

One question about these adapters. I know the general consensus is to have fans blow into the HS, but I'm thinking that with an adapter, you'd get more air flow by pointing the fan outward so that the air is not confined by the narrowing adapter.

Also, I currently have a vantec copper HSF which weighs in at about 350 grams (AMD specs say the max weight should be 300). With the aluminum adapter and bigger fan, I'm going to be exceeding 400 grams easily. Anyone think this would cause any long term problems.

thanks for your opinions

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
The weight issue is mostly a problem when you first install the heatsink. Provided that you don't crush the core on instalation, and provided that you don't move this computer around alot, you will be fine. For extera security I would recommend a shim if you are going over the recommended wieght allowance.

As for the inflow/outflow question, the direction of the airflow shouldn't make a difference, since the bottleneck is still the same size no matter which direction the air is flowing. It's usually better to have the air blow down. If it blows upwards then you are sucking in the air from just above the mobo, which is usually a few deg hotter due to all the other electrical components on the mobo producing heat.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.