Fax Console - Missing sent items

I'm using The fax Console built into win XP and have a problem with the sent
items folder.

Although it lists 14 items in the status bar at the bottom, all are
invisible! If I hover the mouse in the right pane where they should be
listed a flag appears showing date and time sent. If I double click, the
item opens for viewing. But its just not listed. It's almost like white text
on a white background..... :-s

Inbox and Out box are fine, it's only the sent folder.

I've tried removing Fax via add/remove programmes twice now to no avail.
First time I removed, rebooted and then added back. Second time I left it
over night between. No joy.

I feel sure the problem is down to an errant registry key, if only I knew
where to look!

Steve
10 answers Last reply
More about console missing items

    I've seen a handful of similar reports but no one has been able to reproduce
    this problem. Did the items in your Sent Items Folder ever display
    correctly? If so, what changed before they stopped displaying? How many
    items would you expect there to be in that Folder? Does 14 sound accurate to
    you?

    For starters, I'd suggest checking whether the setting for archiving your
    sent Faxes refers to the correct folder, then opening that folder in Windows
    Explorer to see what appears there.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Steve Mitchell" <spam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using The fax Console built into win XP and have a problem with the
    sent
    > items folder.
    >
    > Although it lists 14 items in the status bar at the bottom, all are
    > invisible! If I hover the mouse in the right pane where they should be
    > listed a flag appears showing date and time sent. If I double click, the
    > item opens for viewing. But its just not listed. It's almost like white
    text
    > on a white background..... :-s
    >
    > Inbox and Out box are fine, it's only the sent folder.
    >
    > I've tried removing Fax via add/remove programmes twice now to no avail.
    > First time I removed, rebooted and then added back. Second time I left it
    > over night between. No joy.
    >
    > I feel sure the problem is down to an errant registry key, if only I knew
    > where to look!
    >

    > Steve

    The sent folder is the default.

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\MSFax\SentItems

    Just wondering if the fact that it is the ''All Users'' folder is relevant?

    Mine used to display properly until about 5-6 weeks ago. Not sure of exactly
    when it stopped working as I only use the program about once a week. the
    number of items and dates suggest that all are there, so we aren't losing
    data, just unable to see.

    The fact that hovering the mouse brings up the description flag and that you
    can double click and open the item is most bizzarre. I've placed a
    screenshot at
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve-mitchell/tutorial/fax-screenshot.jpg if
    you want to see excactly what I mean.

    I download the windows updates as soon as they are available so perhaps
    there's a link there? Can't think of anything else I've added to my machine
    recently.

    I'm stumped as to why removing and re-installing doesn't solve the problem.

    Steve

    > I've seen a handful of similar reports but no one has been able to
    reproduce
    > this problem. Did the items in your Sent Items Folder ever display
    > correctly? If so, what changed before they stopped displaying? How many
    > items would you expect there to be in that Folder? Does 14 sound accurate
    > you?
    >
    > For starters, I'd suggest checking whether the setting for archiving your
    > sent Faxes refers to the correct folder, then opening that folder in
    Windows
    > Explorer to see what appears there.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Steve Mitchell" <spam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm using The fax Console built into win XP and have a problem with the
    > sent
    > > items folder.
    > >
    > > Although it lists 14 items in the status bar at the bottom, all are
    > > invisible! If I hover the mouse in the right pane where they should be
    > > listed a flag appears showing date and time sent. If I double click, the
    > > item opens for viewing. But its just not listed. It's almost like white
    > text
    > > on a white background..... :-s
    > >
    > > Inbox and Out box are fine, it's only the sent folder.
    > >
    > > I've tried removing Fax via add/remove programmes twice now to no avail.
    > > First time I removed, rebooted and then added back. Second time I left
    it
    > > over night between. No joy.
    > >
    > > I feel sure the problem is down to an errant registry key, if only I
    knew
    > > where to look!
    > >

    > > Steve

    Removing and reinstalling rarely solves anything.
    How many items are in your SentItems folder when you look in Windows
    Explorer? Do they all appear as TIF files and can you open and view them
    there? If so, what application launches?
    --
> [...]
    > > > items folder.
    > > >
    > > > Although it lists 14 items in the status bar at the bottom, all are
    > > > invisible! If I hover the mouse in the right pane where they should
    be
    > > > listed a flag appears showing date and time sent. If I double click,
    the
    > > > item opens for viewing. But its just not listed. It's almost like
    white
    > > text
    > > > on a white background..... :-s
    > > >
    > > > Inbox and Out box are fine, it's only the sent folder.
    > > >
    > > > I've tried removing Fax via add/remove programmes twice now to no
    avail.
    > > > First time I removed, rebooted and then added back. Second time I left
    > it
    > > > over night between. No joy.
    > > >
    > > > I feel sure the problem is down to an errant registry key, if only I

    In windows explorer there are 15 items (one is the thumbs db file)

    By default, double clicking there launches the windows picture and fax
    viewer. Right clicking also allows me to use any of the other programs I
    have.

    Steve

    > Removing and reinstalling rarely solves anything.
    > How many items are in your SentItems folder when you look in Windows
    > Explorer? Do they all appear as TIF files and can you open and view them
    > there? If so, what application launches?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Steve Mitchell" <spam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > The sent folder is the default.
    > >
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
    > > NT\MSFax\SentItems
    > >
    > > Just wondering if the fact that it is the ''All Users'' folder is
    > relevant?
    > >
    > > Mine used to display properly until about 5-6 weeks ago. Not sure of
    > exactly
    > > when it stopped working as I only use the program about once a week. the
    > > number of items and dates suggest that all are there, so we aren't
    losing
    > > data, just unable to see.
    > >
    > > The fact that hovering the mouse brings up the description flag and that
    > you
    > > can double click and open the item is most bizzarre. I've placed a
    > > screenshot at
    > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve-mitchell/tutorial/fax-screenshot.jpg
    if
    > > you want to see excactly what I mean.
    > >
    > > I download the windows updates as soon as they are available so perhaps
    > > there's a link there? Can't think of anything else I've added to my
    > machine
    > > recently.
    > >
    > > I'm stumped as to why removing and re-installing doesn't solve the
    > problem.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > I've seen a handful of similar reports but no one has been able to
    > > reproduce
    > > > this problem. Did the items in your Sent Items Folder ever display
    > > > correctly? If so, what changed before they stopped displaying? How
    many
    > > > items would you expect there to be in that Folder? Does 14 sound
    > accurate
    > > > you?
    > > >
    > > > For starters, I'd suggest checking whether the setting for archiving
    > your
    > > > sent Faxes refers to the correct folder, then opening that folder in
    > > Windows
    > > > Explorer to see what appears there.
    > > > --
    > > > Russ Valentine
    > > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > > "Steve Mitchell" <spam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > the
    > > > sent

    > be
    > the
    > white
    > > > text

    > avail.
    > > it

    > > knew

    This afternoon I needed to send a fax.

    Before doing so I changed the archive folder to point to a different
    location. Hey Presto! After sending the fax it was now visible in the sent
    folder.

    I copied the files over from the old folder and they immediately became
    invisible again.

    By trial and error I eventually established that just one file was causing
    the problem. Presumably it had become corrupt in such a way that it was
    still a valid Tiff file, but Fax Console no longer liked it.

    Anyway problem solved.

    Perhaps if the above makes any sense to you Russ you can offer an
    explanation, otherwise might be useful for anyone else suffering the same
    symptoms.

    Steve

    > In windows explorer there are 15 items (one is the thumbs db file)
    >
    > By default, double clicking there launches the windows picture and fax
    > viewer. Right clicking also allows me to use any of the other programs I
    > have.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Removing and reinstalling rarely solves anything.
    > > How many items are in your SentItems folder when you look in Windows
    > > Explorer? Do they all appear as TIF files and can you open and view them
    > > there? If so, what application launches?
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]

    How did you establish that "just one file was causing the problem?"
    --
    > This afternoon I needed to send a fax.
    >
    > Before doing so I changed the archive folder to point to a different
    > location. Hey Presto! After sending the fax it was now visible in the sent
    > folder.
    >
    > I copied the files over from the old folder and they immediately became
    > invisible again.
    >
    > By trial and error I eventually established that just one file was causing
    > the problem. Presumably it had become corrupt in such a way that it was
    > still a valid Tiff file, but Fax Console no longer liked it.
    >
    > Anyway problem solved.
    >
    > Perhaps if the above makes any sense to you Russ you can offer an
    > explanation, otherwise might be useful for anyone else suffering the same
    > symptoms.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > "Steve Mitchell" <spam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > In windows explorer there are 15 items (one is the thumbs db file)
    > >
    > > By default, double clicking there launches the windows picture and fax
    > > viewer. Right clicking also allows me to use any of the other programs I
    > > have.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Removing and reinstalling rarely solves anything.
    > > > How many items are in your SentItems folder when you look in Windows
    > > > Explorer? Do they all appear as TIF files and can you open and view
    them
    > > > there? If so, what application launches?
    > > > --
    > > > Russ Valentine
    > > > [MVP-Outlook]

    By changing the file before sending the new fax I ended up with just one
    file in the sent folder which appeared perfectly.

    As soon as I copied over the other saved files from the other folder the
    problem re-appeared. So I then tried them one at a time, starting with the
    newest thinking it was a particular date point causing the problem. When the
    problem re-occurred I removed the file and the problem corrected itself
    after I'd closed and re-started fax console. Adding files after the 'corrupt
    one' worked ok to. Hence isolating it down to just one file.

    Closing and re-starting Fax Console after each change is necessary to.
    Presumably that list is built at start up, so no changes are visible until
    after you close and re-open it.

    Steve

    > How did you establish that "just one file was causing the problem?"
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    So there was nothing that indicated the file as corrupt, like an invalid
    extension? Could you open this corrupt file from the SentItems folder?
    This will be a rather laborious solution, but it's nice to know what caused
    it.
    --
    > By changing the file before sending the new fax I ended up with just one
    > file in the sent folder which appeared perfectly.
    >
    > As soon as I copied over the other saved files from the other folder the
    > problem re-appeared. So I then tried them one at a time, starting with the
    > newest thinking it was a particular date point causing the problem. When
    the
    > problem re-occurred I removed the file and the problem corrected itself
    > after I'd closed and re-started fax console. Adding files after the
    'corrupt
    > one' worked ok to. Hence isolating it down to just one file.
    >
    > Closing and re-starting Fax Console after each change is necessary to.
    > Presumably that list is built at start up, so no changes are visible until
    > after you close and re-open it.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > How did you establish that "just one file was causing the problem?"
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    As far as I can see the file looks entirely normal.

    It previews in the 'windows picture and fax viewer' in exactly the same way
    as the other files.

    However, I'm totally certain this file is the cause as the symptoms reappear
    ever time it's added back to the folder and disappear as soon as it's
    removed.

    If it would help I can send you the file and a few of the others as they
    don't contain anything confidential.

    Steve

    > So there was nothing that indicated the file as corrupt, like an invalid
    > extension? Could you open this corrupt file from the SentItems folder?
    > This will be a rather laborious solution, but it's nice to know what
    caused
    > it.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Steve Mitchell" <spam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > By changing the file before sending the new fax I ended up with just one
    > > file in the sent folder which appeared perfectly.
    > >
    > > As soon as I copied over the other saved files from the other folder the
    > > problem re-appeared. So I then tried them one at a time, starting with
    the
    > > newest thinking it was a particular date point causing the problem. When
    > the
    > > problem re-occurred I removed the file and the problem corrected itself
    > > after I'd closed and re-started fax console. Adding files after the
    > 'corrupt
    > > one' worked ok to. Hence isolating it down to just one file.
    > >
    > > Closing and re-starting Fax Console after each change is necessary to.
    > > Presumably that list is built at start up, so no changes are visible
    until
    > > after you close and re-open it.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > How did you establish that "just one file was causing the problem?"
    > > > --
    > > > Russ Valentine
    > > > [MVP-Outlook]

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Please do. This is the closest we've come to nailing this down. And thanks
    for the good troubleshooting.
    --
    > As far as I can see the file looks entirely normal.
    >
    > It previews in the 'windows picture and fax viewer' in exactly the same
    way
    > as the other files.
    >
    > However, I'm totally certain this file is the cause as the symptoms
    reappear
    > ever time it's added back to the folder and disappear as soon as it's
    > removed.
    >
    > If it would help I can send you the file and a few of the others as they
    > don't contain anything confidential.
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > So there was nothing that indicated the file as corrupt, like an invalid
    > > extension? Could you open this corrupt file from the SentItems folder?
    > > This will be a rather laborious solution, but it's nice to know what
    > caused
    > > it.
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "Steve Mitchell" <spam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > By changing the file before sending the new fax I ended up with just
    one
    > > > file in the sent folder which appeared perfectly.
    > > >
    > > > As soon as I copied over the other saved files from the other folder
    the
    > > > problem re-appeared. So I then tried them one at a time, starting with
    > the
    > > > newest thinking it was a particular date point causing the problem.
    When
    > > the
    > > > problem re-occurred I removed the file and the problem corrected
    itself
    > > > after I'd closed and re-started fax console. Adding files after the
    > > 'corrupt
    > > > one' worked ok to. Hence isolating it down to just one file.
    > > >
    > > > Closing and re-starting Fax Console after each change is necessary to.
    > > > Presumably that list is built at start up, so no changes are visible
    > until
    > > > after you close and re-open it.
    > > >
    > > > Steve
    > > >
    > > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message