AMD K6-2 450

G

g'day
The other day the tooth fairy left me a nice present, an AGP Voodoo 5 5500. The only trouble is I have an AMD K6-2 450 on an asus pfS-B BABY AT with only PCI slots. Apart from getting a new-old mobo (maybe an ASUS P5A , Can I put my socket 7 chip on another type of board. I get lost after slot 1 and slot 370. Are their converteres or something?
Wol

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
There are loads of socket 7 boards with AGP slots that will take a k6-2 450, gigabyte 5aa (at) and 5ax (atx) are decent socket 7 boards amongst others, be careful when buying though, a lot of older ones wont support higher speeds.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
if i read you right your thinking athlon/duron mobos
then NO NO NO it wont fit (unless you hammer it in)
pins/voltages totaly wrong

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Crash - I thought that FIC tended to be a "cheap board"... I am not saying that I know this specifically about this board, just in general. That the case - if he is replaceing the mobo with something inexpensive - couldn't he find an old KT133 borad + Duron for roughly what he would probably pay for that FIC anyway? (80+14 for an ECS K7VZA & 700 Duron at <A HREF="http://pricewatch.com" target="_new">pricewatch</A>).

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said, as weird as it sounds, the FIC VA503+ was considered the king of Socket 7 motherboards. It was actually the best MVP3 chipset AT style motherboard you could buy. and the MVP3 chipset was the one where VIA established their record for incompatability and instability. But with extreme luck or skill, one could make them work.
In order to upgrade to a moron, er, Duron, he would have have to get a new motherboard, processor, case, and power supply. That would be an extremely costly solution over the simple replacement of the motherboard, but one I would consider.

Video killed my Radio Card!

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
"he would have have to get a new motherboard, processor, case, and power supply"
<font color=blue>
duhhh... late at night.... not thinking clearly....

I feel pretty stupid in that this is a situation I was all to familiar with a few months ago. I saw no good way to upgrad my system (K62-400) b/c of the whole ps & case deal. I ended up yanking the Plextor and DVD drive and selling the rest for 300 in the Classifieds. :smile: I just couldn't bring myself to spend much money on a dead horse.

G

Crashman, You've got it right. In fact, I'm not overly skilled, and have enjoyed an FIC 503+ 1.2A for the last year. Just be sure to get 1.2A revision with E0037 sticker, with a manual. You don't have to go far to for the best recommendation, just go to Tom's Hardware Socket 7 motherboard tips, and this MB comes out on top. Other reviewers have put it at/near the top of their list. Take a look at CPU benchmarks list, and you'll find an abundance of these boards leading the pack. Good luck with your choice!

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Why would he have to get all those new components? I just updrades from a Gigabyte GA-5AX w/ K6-2 550 to an Abit KT7A-Raid w/ T-Bird 1.13. All I had to do was swap out the motherboard a processor, and I was done. He doesn't need all that stuff to make it work. unless he doesn't have an ATX case already, but a decent ATX case can cost like $40. No big deal.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He already said he is using an AT case. He would need a cheap ATX case, but because they have such crappy power supplies, he'd probably need a better power supply on top of that.

Video killed my Radio Card!

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>njeske - that is *exactly* what I said <i>earlier</i>, and Crash's response <i>earlier</i> was *exactly* right, which is *exactly* why i felt stupid <i>earlier</i> and responded how I experienced the same problem. It is very difficult to upgrade the main guts (case, ps, mobo, ram, and proc) of an old AT k62 system with out replacing almost everything. The FIC VA503 would be a perfect solution for Colhut b/c it allows him to use his new v card - which was all he wanted to do.

I have learned so far that if I disagree with crash... I am probably still wrong :redface: