Why would I change to the new AC plan?

For that matter, why would anyone want to change AC plans?

Sure, they boast "no roaming", but if you look at the comparison maps
of AC plans on the "Coverage Locator" prior to 2/21 and plans as of
2/21 and later, the difference is that areas that were roaming are now
"no coverage". I'd rather roam than get NO signal at all!

For example, there are large parts of eastern Oregon where on existing
AC plans you would incur roaming charges. On the new plans, your phone
would simply not work! A good portion of West Virginia is the same
way. And say goodbye for using your phone in most of Montana!

So why would I switch? Yeah, for the same rate I'm paying now I would
get an extra 50 peak minutes per month. Where I live in Virginia there
would be no problem, but I plan on going to eastern Washington and
easstern Oregon in May. I'd rather be able to use my phone and pay 69
cents/min than not being able to use it at all.

And I was hoping they'd do something like Cingular where they would
have better roaming agreements and/or eat some of the roaming charges.

This is one of the few times I think Verizon has taken a step
BACKWARDS!

For those of you on NSR, DO NOT SWITCH! Stay with NSR!

Dave
38 answers Last reply
More about change plan

    Diamond Dave wrote:
    > Why would I change to the new AC plan?
    >
    > For that matter, why would anyone want to change AC plans?

    For some people it is more important to them to know that whenever they
    use their phone they will not have to pay roaming charges without
    havinvg to check the indicator. It is more a move to counteract the
    plans from T-Mobile and Cingular who have similar no roaming plans.

    Rich

    In article <iv1k11pfmnc2o0jj6dcom2hkl0acf6tpt4@4ax.com>,
    Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >For example, there are large parts of eastern Oregon where on existing
    >AC plans you would incur roaming charges. On the new plans, your phone
    >would simply not work! A good portion of West Virginia is the same
    >way. And say goodbye for using your phone in most of Montana!

    It seems that if you want coverage in Eastern WA/OR, you'd be better off
    with Cingular than one of the new AC plans.

    "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why would I change to the new AC plan?
    >
    > For that matter, why would anyone want to change AC plans?
    >
    > Sure, they boast "no roaming", but if you look at the comparison maps
    > of AC plans on the "Coverage Locator" prior to 2/21 and plans as of
    > 2/21 and later, the difference is that areas that were roaming are now
    > "no coverage". I'd rather roam than get NO signal at all!
    >
    > For example, there are large parts of eastern Oregon where on existing
    > AC plans you would incur roaming charges. On the new plans, your phone
    > would simply not work! A good portion of West Virginia is the same
    > way. And say goodbye for using your phone in most of Montana!
    >
    > So why would I switch? Yeah, for the same rate I'm paying now I would
    > get an extra 50 peak minutes per month. Where I live in Virginia there
    > would be no problem, but I plan on going to eastern Washington and
    > easstern Oregon in May. I'd rather be able to use my phone and pay 69
    > cents/min than not being able to use it at all.
    >
    > And I was hoping they'd do something like Cingular where they would
    > have better roaming agreements and/or eat some of the roaming charges.
    >
    > This is one of the few times I think Verizon has taken a step
    > BACKWARDS!
    >
    > For those of you on NSR, DO NOT SWITCH! Stay with NSR!
    >
    > Dave

    I guess if you're a Sasquatch, the eastern Oregon coverage might be a
    problem. But no one is West Virginia is smart enough to use a cell phone and
    there's nothing in Montana but steers and queers.............so who cares;-)

    The new plan rocks!

    Ike

    Is it true that all recent contracts are automatically switched to the new
    no roaming plan? I too would rather have service and pay a roaming fee.

    BTW - I don't suppose we can mix and match roam-no roam between phones on
    the plans? I wouldn't mind disabling roam on my kids phones since they are
    less likely to check the roam indicator when making or taking calls but I
    want my phone to roam.

    [[ignoring the highly offensive and discriminatory comments]]

    "Rich" <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org> wrote in message
    > Diamond Dave wrote:
    >> Why would I change to the new AC plan?
    >>
    >> For that matter, why would anyone want to change AC plans?
    >>

    > For some people it is more important to them to know that whenever they
    > use their phone they will not have to pay roaming charges without havinvg
    > to check the indicator. It is more a move to counteract the plans from
    > T-Mobile and Cingular who have similar no roaming plans.
    >
    > Rich

    From what I understand, all new AC plans activated from today on will
    be on the new No-Roam AC, but if you have a previous Roaming Capable AC
    plan, you can stay on that, but most likely a contract renewal will
    require you to switch. This is just my thought. I'm sure you can't
    mix-and-match the 2 plans on a family share plan, since in reality it is
    only one plan.

    Hope this helps.

    Rich

    Rich wrote:
    > From what I understand, all new AC plans activated from today on will
    > be on the new No-Roam AC,

    So what do you do if you want no roaming anywhere? Are you then forced to pay
    for North America's Choice?

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >
    >> From what I understand, all new AC plans activated from today on will
    >> be on the new No-Roam AC,
    >

    > So what do you do if you want no roaming anywhere? Are you then forced
    > to pay for North America's Choice?

    I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about having
    the ability to roam internationally (Canada, Mexico, etc.) while having
    the AC No Roam plan? If so, that can be addressed once we can see the
    PRL to see what is listed for those entries.

    Rich

    Rich wrote:
    > Steve Sobol wrote:
    >
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>
    >>> From what I understand, all new AC plans activated from today on
    >>> will be on the new No-Roam AC,
    >>

    >> So what do you do if you want no roaming anywhere? Are you then forced
    >> to pay for North America's Choice?
    >>

    > I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about having
    > the ability to roam internationally (Canada, Mexico, etc.) while having
    > the AC No Roam plan?

    No, I'm talking about what happens if you want a plan like NSR. There is no way
    I'd use AC now if they're getting rid of roaming completely in certain areas.

    In article <cvdhro$nvc$1@ratbert.glorb.com>,
    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
    >No, I'm talking about what happens if you want a plan like NSR. There is no way
    >I'd use AC now if they're getting rid of roaming completely in certain areas.

    I suspect you can still get NSR. The coverage locator has maps for NSR and
    says:

    National SingleRate offers coverage even beyond the America's Choice
    network. Domestic roaming and long distance included.

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:08:36 -0500, Rich <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org> wrote:

    >Steve Sobol wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>
    >>> From what I understand, all new AC plans activated from today on will
    >>> be on the new No-Roam AC,
    >>

    >> So what do you do if you want no roaming anywhere? Are you then forced
    >> to pay for North America's Choice?
    >>

    >I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about having
    >the ability to roam internationally (Canada, Mexico, etc.) while having
    >the AC No Roam plan? If so, that can be addressed once we can see the
    >PRL to see what is listed for those entries.
    >
    >Rich

    If it wasn't posted yet, the AC2 PRL is 50271

    What PRL number indicates that you are on the no roam America Choice Plan?

    "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why would I change to the new AC plan?
    >
    > For that matter, why would anyone want to change AC plans?
    >
    > Sure, they boast "no roaming", but if you look at the comparison maps
    > of AC plans on the "Coverage Locator" prior to 2/21 and plans as of
    > 2/21 and later, the difference is that areas that were roaming are now
    > "no coverage". I'd rather roam than get NO signal at all!
    >
    > For example, there are large parts of eastern Oregon where on existing
    > AC plans you would incur roaming charges. On the new plans, your phone
    > would simply not work! A good portion of West Virginia is the same
    > way. And say goodbye for using your phone in most of Montana!
    >
    > So why would I switch? Yeah, for the same rate I'm paying now I would
    > get an extra 50 peak minutes per month. Where I live in Virginia there
    > would be no problem, but I plan on going to eastern Washington and
    > easstern Oregon in May. I'd rather be able to use my phone and pay 69
    > cents/min than not being able to use it at all.
    >
    > And I was hoping they'd do something like Cingular where they would
    > have better roaming agreements and/or eat some of the roaming charges.
    >
    > This is one of the few times I think Verizon has taken a step
    > BACKWARDS!
    >
    > For those of you on NSR, DO NOT SWITCH! Stay with NSR!
    >
    > Dave

    From reports it is 50271 for the No Roam AC plans. I have not had a
    chance to look at that PRL in person yet, but I am hoping - I won't be
    able to get my own copy until next week sometime if I choose to switch
    plans, but would like a copy before hand.

    Rich

    On 21 Feb 2005 12:14:47 -0500, mch@shell1.iglou.com (MARK HENDERSON)
    wrote:

    >In article <iv1k11pfmnc2o0jj6dcom2hkl0acf6tpt4@4ax.com>,
    >Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>For example, there are large parts of eastern Oregon where on existing
    >>AC plans you would incur roaming charges. On the new plans, your phone
    >>would simply not work! A good portion of West Virginia is the same
    >>way. And say goodbye for using your phone in most of Montana!
    >
    >It seems that if you want coverage in Eastern WA/OR, you'd be better off
    >with Cingular than one of the new AC plans.

    Or for me, keep the same AC plan and don't change the PRL.

    Dave

    Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > Why would I change to the new AC plan?
    >
    > For that matter, why would anyone want to change AC plans?
    <snip>

    My interest was the free In Calling. I'm just on the $35 dollar plan with
    300 free minutes and no Mobile to Mobile minutes. My three adult children
    use Verizon Wireless as their only telephone service, and having the new
    upgrade would let us call them free before 9:00pm.

    I say "was," because of seeing that the new plan states no free Internet
    access, and I don't want to lose that.

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    Hi Tom,

    As a parent with two children and my wife on the AC plan, I suggest you look
    at adding more minutes with the new Verizon promotion of $10 per secondary
    phone compared to the old $20. I was able to go from 800 to 1500 minutes at
    no basic monthly increase (old-- 60 +20+20+20 Vs New-- 90+10+10+10). My kids
    are in college so minutes flow like water--I needed the extra minutes, but
    you may not. Have fun.

    John

    "Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
    > Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Why would I change to the new AC plan?
    > >
    > > For that matter, why would anyone want to change AC plans?
    > <snip>
    >
    > My interest was the free In Calling. I'm just on the $35 dollar plan with
    > 300 free minutes and no Mobile to Mobile minutes. My three adult children
    > use Verizon Wireless as their only telephone service, and having the new
    > upgrade would let us call them free before 9:00pm.
    >
    > I say "was," because of seeing that the new plan states no free Internet
    > access, and I don't want to lose that.
    >
    > --
    > Tom McCune
    > http://www.McCune.cc

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:16:16 GMT, Tom McCune
    <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote:

    >My interest was the free In Calling. I'm just on the $35 dollar plan with
    >300 free minutes and no Mobile to Mobile minutes. My three adult children
    >use Verizon Wireless as their only telephone service, and having the new
    >upgrade would let us call them free before 9:00pm.
    >
    >I say "was," because of seeing that the new plan states no free Internet
    >access, and I don't want to lose that.

    Yeah, that seems to be the two drawbacks. No roaming capabilities and
    losing MOU data services (I don't use them, but it appears on my bill
    that I can use MOU if I wanted to).

    I already had the "IN" plan, so for me that didn't matter.

    Dave

    "Christian" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > What PRL number indicates that you are on the no roam America Choice Plan?

    50261

    So, are there going to be different PRLs for "old" AC and "no-roam" AC?

    "Ira Hayes" <redman27@indianwells.com> wrote in message
    > "Christian" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> What PRL number indicates that you are on the no roam America Choice
    >> Plan?
    >
    > 50261

    From what I've seen and heard reported is that ERI PRLs are as follows

    Old AC plan with roaming - 50261
    New AC plan without roaming (AC II) - 50271

    So it appears that yes there will be 2 versions of PRLs based on what
    "flavor" of AC you have. When I have a copy of 50271 I can do a compare
    to see what the differences are.

    Rich

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:05:03 -0500, Rich <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org>
    wrote:

    > From what I've seen and heard reported is that ERI PRLs are as follows
    >
    >Old AC plan with roaming - 50261
    >New AC plan without roaming (AC II) - 50271
    >
    >So it appears that yes there will be 2 versions of PRLs based on what
    >"flavor" of AC you have. When I have a copy of 50271 I can do a compare
    >to see what the differences are.
    >
    >Rich

    That's interesting. For those of us on old AC (AC 1), if you do a PRL
    upgrade, you'll still have roaming capabilities, or so it seems.

    Dave

    My PRL is 50233 here in Kansas.. Please take time to explain this for me.
    Under the new plan there will be no more extended roaming, I have had AC for
    a couple of years now and have never paid a roaming charge. There are some
    very spotty area's here but 90% of the time I have service. ????????????

    Diamond Dave wrote:
    > That's interesting. For those of us on old AC (AC 1), if you do a PRL
    > upgrade, you'll still have roaming capabilities, or so it seems.
    >
    > Dave

    That's correct. Unless you switch to the new ACII (No Roam) plan, you
    will maintain your ability to roam. Someone mentioned somewhere that AC
    I (with roaming) is still available if you ask for it.

    Rich

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:52:22 GMT, "Christian" <nomail@nomail.com>
    wrote:

    >What PRL number indicates that you are on the no roam America Choice Plan?

    Per reports elsewhere, 50271.

    -SC
    --
    Stanley Cline // Telco Boi // sc1 at roamer1 dot org // www.roamer1.org

    "it seems like all you ever buy is Abercrombie and cell phones" --a friend

    Thanks!

    Rich wrote:
    > Steve Sobol wrote:
    >
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>
    >>> From what I understand, all new AC plans activated from today on
    >>> will be on the new No-Roam AC,
    >>

    >> So what do you do if you want no roaming anywhere? Are you then forced
    >> to pay for North America's Choice?
    >>

    > I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about having
    > the ability to roam internationally (Canada, Mexico, etc.) while having
    > the AC No Roam plan? If so, that can be addressed once we can see the
    > PRL to see what is listed for those entries.
    >
    > Rich

    I think the OP was referring to plans such as NSR, which don't appear to
    be available. It sounds like many previously toll roam areas on AC are
    now "No Service".

    TH

    Tropical Haven wrote:
    > I think the OP was referring to plans such as NSR, which don't appear to
    > be available. It sounds like many previously toll roam areas on AC are
    > now "No Service".

    Just former "roaming" areas, or former "extended network" areas too?

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:23:45 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Tropical Haven wrote:
    >> I think the OP was referring to plans such as NSR, which don't appear to
    >> be available. It sounds like many previously toll roam areas on AC are
    >> now "No Service".
    >
    >Just former "roaming" areas, or former "extended network" areas too?

    Extended Network will still work as previously stated. Its that all
    Roaming is now No Service.

    Dave

    "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in

    > As a parent with two children and my wife on the AC plan, I suggest
    > you look at adding more minutes with the new Verizon promotion of $10
    > per secondary phone compared to the old $20. I was able to go from 800
    > to 1500 minutes at no basic monthly increase (old-- 60 +20+20+20 Vs
    > New-- 90+10+10+10). My kids are in college so minutes flow like
    > water--I needed the extra minutes, but you may not. Have fun.

    Thanks John,

    I appreciate the suggestion. This might be a little late for us - it is
    only my "baby" that is on my plan, and she graduates college in May.

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >> From what I understand, all new AC plans activated from today on will
    >> be on the new No-Roam AC,
    >
    >So what do you do if you want no roaming anywhere? Are you then forced to pay
    >for North America's Choice?

    Is that still available? I no longer see it as a choice.

    --
    Jack Hamilton
    jfh@acm.org

    And he who rejoices at the destruction of human life
    is not fit to be entrusted with power in the world.

    Lao-tzu

    Jack Hamilton wrote:
    > Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Rich wrote:
    >>
    >>> From what I understand, all new AC plans activated from today on will
    >>>be on the new No-Roam AC,
    >>
    >>So what do you do if you want no roaming anywhere? Are you then forced to pay
    >>for North America's Choice?
    >

    > Is that still available? I no longer see it as a choice.

    Check under the International Plans. And just because you don't see
    something on the website doesn't mean it's not available. If you are
    interestested in something, and don't see it, it's always best to call.

    Rich

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:05:03 -0500, Rich wrote:

    > From what I've seen and heard reported is that ERI PRLs are as follows
    >
    > Old AC plan with roaming - 50261
    > New AC plan without roaming (AC II) - 50271
    >
    > So it appears that yes there will be 2 versions of PRLs based on what
    > "flavor" of AC you have. When I have a copy of 50271 I can do a compare
    > to see what the differences are.
    >
    > Rich

    Also, 50263 for the NA Choice AC plan.

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:03:08 -0500, Diamond Dave wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:16:16 GMT, Tom McCune
    > <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote:
    > Yeah, that seems to be the two drawbacks. No roaming capabilities and
    > losing MOU data services (I don't use them, but it appears on my bill
    > that I can use MOU if I wanted to).
    >
    > I already had the "IN" plan, so for me that didn't matter.
    >
    > Dave

    As I interpret it you still can use the Q2N 14.4kBs data service with AC2.
    You just lose the higher speed plan.

    Since I usually just use my phone to dial up my ISP 14.4 for email it works
    fine for me.

    I'm still staying on the origonal AC plan though to keep roaming for
    emergencies.

    Having a real signal and paying roaming fees in an emergency is more
    important to me than high speed internet access too...

    The CSR I spoke with in mid-Jan said 1x was prohibited without a data plan,
    MOU with Mobile office required you to use QNC or face action. Since I only
    use the internet to pass the time in airports and when I'm at my mom's I can
    suffer with 14,4 too... if I keep mobile web, I can use it for email unless
    I need something on the laptop. My use of the 1x is so limited that I may
    fall under the radar anyway... and since I pay for mobile web, they can't
    block my number on the 1x network. (Ohhhh... I wonder if they are going to
    use the login to crack down... but doesn't GIN use the same, so GIN phones
    can't be blocked? )

    "CellGuy" <cellguy@seemessagebody.com> wrote in message

    > As I interpret it you still can use the Q2N 14.4kBs data service with AC2.
    > You just lose the higher speed plan.
    >
    > Since I usually just use my phone to dial up my ISP 14.4 for email it
    > works
    > fine for me.
    >
    > I'm still staying on the origonal AC plan though to keep roaming for
    > emergencies.

    Well if you live in Kentucky like I do, there is a huge new area that has
    been added to AC2, so I am moving to AC2.

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:32:20 GMT, "Christian" <nomail@please.com>
    wrote:

    >Well if you live in Kentucky like I do, there is a huge new area that has
    >been added to AC2, so I am moving to AC2.

    And as I've said elsehwere in this thread - some people gain, some
    loose, and some its a zero sum gain.

    Dave

    And to add to Dave's definitive comment, even those that 'lost' something,
    that 'lost' coverage was at .69 roaming charges.

    Bill Radio
    http://www.mountainwireless.com

    > And as I've said elsehwere in this thread - some people gain, some
    > loose, and some its a zero sum gain.
    >
    > Dave

    Sometimes .69/min can be a godsend compared to "no service"

    "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
    > And to add to Dave's definitive comment, even those that 'lost' something,
    > that 'lost' coverage was at .69 roaming charges.
    >
    > Bill Radio
    > Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
    > http://www.mountainwireless.com
    >
    > "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > And as I've said elsehwere in this thread - some people gain, some
    > > loose, and some its a zero sum gain.
    > >
    > > Dave

    On or about Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:19:32 GMT, someone claiming to be "Bondo"
    <billh@noname.com> scribbled the following:

    :Sometimes .69/min can be a godsend compared to "no service"

    When your car breaks down in the middle of Nowhere, North Dakota, as I have
    done, $.69 a minute is a very welcome thing compared to not being able to call
    for emergency road service at all.

    --
    Bugs

    Address any e-mail to bugs@ any of the following nymservers:
    <runbox.no> <skuz.net> <cyberelectric.com>

Verizon Internet Service Providers