Good Benchmark Games?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building a new rig (it's going to be awesome!)...and like most people, I'd like to make a general comparison between my old rig and the new one. That said, I'd like to know if you guys can suggest good video game benchmarks for me. Now, I know you guys will slap your forehead and say: "Just look at the selection of benchmark Tom's uses in its articles. Well, I'm considering this but first, it needs to meet "my" benchmarking standards.

Criteria #1 - Unbiased benchmark:
What I mean by this is I don't want to record gameplay that isn't going to be the same (i.e. play Skyrim for 5 minutes and calling it a benchmark). It's biased as when I'll replay it, it won't be the exact same and although this might be considered close enough for them, it isn’t for me. So, although the engine is a bit flawed, a good benchmark for me would be the GPU/CPU test in Crysis 1 where the scene remains the same on every benchmark. RE5 also had a benchmark scene. Futurmark's 3DMark...you get my drift?

Criteria #2 - No FRAPS or 3rd party recording/data analysis (i.e. FRAPS).
I don't think FRAPS is accurate at recording benchmarks (although it is very useful to give a general idea of what FPS you're getting on average). Regardless, I'll need a built-in benchmark setup (i.e. 3DMark, Crysis, etc.)

Criteria #3 - The benchmark (the game or 3D Application) needs to be somewhat intensive
What I mean by this is - I don't want to benchmark Quake 4 and get 150 FPS on my old rig. I'd like a benchmark that uses, if possible, the latest technologies (i.e. DX10 or above). The reason for this is for future OC benchmark comparison, GPU upgrades, etc. That said, yes I’ll be using some DX9 titles (those that push DX9 to its limits – i.e. Crysis 1).

Criteria #4 (Optional) – 3D ready applications.
I already have 3D Vision and would love to have that extra comparison between 2D and 3D results.

So, do you guys have any suggestions for me?

PS: Sorry for the very long post (I figured I’d put as many details as possible).

Thanks.

Alex

Updated:

My benchmark test (so far).

- Crysis 1 (both GPU & CPU)
- RE5
- GTA 4
- Metro 2033
- 3DMark Vantage & 3DMark 11
- Unigine: Heaven

I don't own Shogun, or Batmam Arkham City (yet).

Solution
theres no such thing as unbias with most games as they will often have to work with 1 or the other major gfx cards devs. this often makes the games work better on there hardware specifically...
just stick to the basics of crysis, world at war, crysis 2, dawn of war 2, just cause 2 and farcry 2,... that way you have 3rd person, isometric and first person.
future mark apps, like 3dmark vantage and 11, fur mark, Unigine:heaven bench will all give a good indication of the gfx/system abilities.
while superpi will give an indication of the fpu's ability to calculate numbers quickly.
(some dont like this as it always shows intel in a better light than amd) but if your comparing like for like then i have no issue with it.
win rar is also good...
theres no such thing as unbias with most games as they will often have to work with 1 or the other major gfx cards devs. this often makes the games work better on there hardware specifically...
just stick to the basics of crysis, world at war, crysis 2, dawn of war 2, just cause 2 and farcry 2,... that way you have 3rd person, isometric and first person.
future mark apps, like 3dmark vantage and 11, fur mark, Unigine:heaven bench will all give a good indication of the gfx/system abilities.
while superpi will give an indication of the fpu's ability to calculate numbers quickly.
(some dont like this as it always shows intel in a better light than amd) but if your comparing like for like then i have no issue with it.
win rar is also good at measuring cpu computational power...
but you need to pick a standard file and run it on an unused hdd partition so your results are consistent...
choose 3 sizes. small under 32mb (compare hdd speed with the medium size 1) medium 1024mb huge over 4096mb(cpu computational power)... this will give a fair idea of the cpu, the hdd and overall system stability.

Solution

swindlehurst

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I dont like using crysis i feel it gives a false reading the cpu test is just balls
DoW 2 is what i fire up first after new gpu upgrade i think its a well optimised game but its probably more cpu bound
i used to use world in conflict that nuke scene had everything on its knees
RE5 and FarCry are ok but i say stop pissing around with bench marks and get using the thing get some hard gaming rattled out OH YEAH

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

I knew Crysis and RE5 had benchmark scenes but those two titles (Metro and Shogun) I didn't know. I don't own Shogun but I do have Metro 2033 on Steam so I'll redownload that game and include it in my testing.

Do you guys know any other "Benchmark Scenes" or static scenes I could benchmark with? I wonder what professionals use to benchmark BF3, Crysis 2, or Skyrim??? 5 minute playthroughs?

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

They use the same part of the same level each time to try and keep it consitant, though obviously this won't be as constitant as a "benchmark scene".

For example Linus uses this part of Crysis 2 everytime he benchmarks with Crysis 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJnIr1t28M

And Tomshardware uses this part of BF3 for benchmarking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAA-NJj0Z0k&feature=player_embedded

Personally I only use propper benchmarking scenes such as the ones in Metro 2033, Crysis, RE5, Shogun 2, etc for benchmarking.

Batman Arkham City and GTA4 are another two games that have a benchmarking tool.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Don't own BAC (yet) but I own GTA4. In fact, this will be an interesting one to throw in the mix as it'll show (I would assume) a huge improvement because of my CPU upgrade.

Thanks. If you come across more benchmarking scenes (games) then let me know.

I've update my list of benchmarks on the main post.