Setting up a printer using IP address

I have a printer's IP address and I am trying to set up
so I can communicate with this printer. The printer set-
up wizard won't accept the IP I have entered, ... it
seems to want a name.

How can I add a printer if I only know it's IP
address?????

I researched the issue and found out that the ADD PRINTER
WIZARD can be used. The printer has to be set-up as LOCAL
and then you have to set up CREATE A NEW PORT and then
chose STANDARD TCP/IP PORT. Then just fill in the
rest....

I find myself trying to choose STANDARD TCP/IP PORT, but
it's not available as an option. Is this just a
shortcoming of my particular version of XPe (v5.1, build
2600.xpsp2.030444-1633), or am I just not pointing and
clicking in the right direction?

what is XPe?

I know looking in help is the last thing anyone wants to do. Here is the
information in Help on this.

To add a standard TCP/IP port

1.. Open Printers and Faxes.
2.. Double-click Add Printer to open the Add Printer Wizard, and then
click Next.
3.. Click Local printer attached to this computer, clear the Automatically
detect and install my Plug and Play printer check box, and then click Next.
4.. Click Create a new port, and then click Standard TCP/IP Port.
5.. Click Next to run the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard.
6.. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish installing the TCP/IP
printer.
Notes

a.. To open Printers and Faxes, click Start, point to Settings, and then
click Printers and Faxes.
b.. Most network printers support the TCP/IP protocol. The standard TCP/IP
port simplifies connecting to remote printers using the TCP/IP protocol. A
computer that acts as a print server must run the TCP/IP protocol in order
to print.
c.. To connect to a print server running NetWare, you need to install
Client Services for NetWare.
d.. You can also add ports using the Print Server Properties dialog box.
For more information, click Related Topics.
e.. For print servers that need to communicate with host computers (such
as UNIX or VAX computers), it is best to install an LPR port. For more
information, click Related Topics.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"blk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I find myself trying to choose STANDARD TCP/IP PORT, but
> it's not available as an option. Is this just a
> shortcoming of my particular version of XPe (v5.1, build
> 2600.xpsp2.030444-1633), or am I just not pointing and
> clicking in the right direction?

begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
`
end

begin 666 note.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
`
end

I'm trying to do the same thing as you suggested.
However, I am able to choose Standard TCP/IP port,but
don't know the correct string/path to use. I know I need
to get that info from the host computer that the printer
is hard-wired to, but where do I find that path?

The path will be \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but you'll have to know the correct IP of
the PC you are trying to connect to!

--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Sal B" <salb222@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to do the same thing as you suggested.
> However, I am able to choose Standard TCP/IP port,but
> don't know the correct string/path to use. I know I need
> to get that info from the host computer that the printer
> is hard-wired to, but where do I find that path?

If the computer that the printer is connected to is a Windows computer,
generally, you don't need to add a Local Port to print on that printer.
Rather, in the Add Printer Wizard, add the printer as a Network Printer,
select the second radio button ("Connect to this printer...") and key the
"Name" as shown in "Example:" under the "Name:" text box.

But see also http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm and
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

"Sal B" <salb222@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to do the same thing as you suggested.
> However, I am able to choose Standard TCP/IP port,but
> don't know the correct string/path to use. I know I need
> to get that info from the host computer that the printer
> is hard-wired to, but where do I find that path?

As a general note, to find the IP address of any computer running windows, go to start -> run, type "cmd" (without the quotation marks) and press enter. When the command prompt opens type "ipconfig /all" and press enter... a list of details for that computer will be shown, and it is likely your IP address will look something like 192.168.0.50

Hope that helps