Gaming with Chrome open shuts off computer?

xythas

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I run with two monitors and game on one while I have other programs open on the other (like Chrome, Rhapsody etc). Until today there was never a problem. Now when I try to open Chrome and play a game at the same time the computer shuts off within seconds of logging into a game. I've also tried it with IE and the same thing happened.

I can play a game with no issues. I can browse with no issues, as long as I don't try to do both at the same time.

I monitored my temps and they stayed low the entire time. Low 50s, never peaked over 60.

My drivers are up to date.

Comp:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
8gb Ram
Windows 7 64 bit
Radeon HD 5870
Silverstone 600w PSU (pretty sure, installed it a while ago)
Barracuda 500gb HD

Any ideas?

Hi,
what are your utilization numbers on CPU and GPU when you have both chrome and game up?

Does the PC shut off cold or does it reboot?

If it reboots, check your event viewer logs, it might be blue screening.

If it shuts off cold then might be a PSU or motherboard problem, should also be mentioned in event viewer.

Check your connections inside the case, maybe some power cables came lose.

Which game are we talking about here? Does it require online connection?

Are you running any security software?

Have you overclocked any of your hardware?

Answer those, if you don't understand something, ask. Hopefully we can chase down your problem with such a broad range.

xythas

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

The computer shuts off cold.

The games were Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft, both of which require being online.

I'm running Malwarebytes and AVG-Free.

I have not overclocked any of my hardware.

There's nothing in the event viewer for the time of the shut down. When I reboot it shows two errors stating the computer did not shut down cleanly. Later in the event viewer - after a booting up - it shows two more errors. One is a WLAN-AutoConfig error (code 10000) and the other is a Service Control Manager (code 7000). These two errors appear to occur every time just after I turn the computer on and have been occuring for a long time.

Edit: With both up the total CPU usage hovered around 45-55% and peaked around 75% at times. CPUs 0 and 1 stayed between 20-30% and 2 and 3 were 70-80%.
Then poof.

Also checked inside and there were no loose wires. Checked outside and to the wall as well.

fantastik250

Distinguished
Check your power options and see if any settings are doing the shutdown. Also, check how windows updates install. It may cause your computer to shutdown after installation. You may want to change the settings where you update the computer yourself.

xythas

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

All the settings to power down the computer in the power options are turned off. Windows Updates are already on manual and there were no updates downloaded.

xythas

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
The problem seemed to get worse so I thought I'd start fresh with a clean install. I was able to install windows and reformat the HD without any problems. Re-installed video drivers and my wireless nic driver and everything was working fine. Now as I try to load other software onto the computer is has shut down twice.

foshi13

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

That most likely means a cable inside your machine is loose. Open it up and make sure all wires are securely connected. The only other thing I can think of is a problem with the power supply. How old is it?

when you boot the pc press f8 but instead of selecting safe mode select disable auto restart. this way you may be able to view any bsods. if its enabled the pc will often just switch off without showing the bsod screen...
1s done try and get the pc to crash and hopefully you will see the bsod and the error causing it...
if no bsod or errors show up then im thinking memory stability, try memtest and prime 95 to see if you get any errors with them.

if he has auto-restart on bsod turned, then the machine would restart, not shut off...

Alternative method to disable the restart is Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Startup and Recovery > Settings > Under system failure uncheck "automatically restart"

also check the listed directory for existing dump files, if your pc is BSODing there should be logs in there.
You can also get bluescreenview program it will find logs for you.

All that said, I agree with foshi, this most likely is a hardware failure that causes your PC to shutdown, PSU would seem most likely cause, but I doubt launching the game + webbrowser would cause you to overdraw.

One thing to check, you say you got wireless, is this part of the motherboard or is it a separate card? If it's separate, try pulling it out and try to get your PC to crash.

I've known some wireless cards to cause crashes just because their drivers are not fully compatible with some games.

xythas

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I did a memtest and it came back clean.

I've rechecked the wires and they all seem to be seated snugly.

The power supply is about 6-7 months old.

Does CPUID HWmonitor keep track of the psu heat? Can they shut themselves off if they get too hot? Nothing else in the case is running hot though.

the psu will shut down if it gets too hot, you're correct about that. However, reputable PSUs aren't prone to this, unless their built-in fan fails (so double check that your PSU fan is working) The PSU itself has a thermal circuit, but I've never seen it be available to interface with motherboard so you could get a reading from it.

You can also feel the PSU exhaust air to get an idea of how hot it might be running. Just as a side note, is your PSU top or bottom mounted inside the case? Can you describe how your cooling is setup in your case? (ie where the fans are mounted and which way are they pulling the air and if there's any other openings where air can come in and exit; or maybe a picture if you have one)

Judging from your CPU + GPU running relatively cool, there's no reason to believe that anything else is overheating, but you never know. (actually to double check, when you say you monitored your temperatures, it was for both GPU and CPU and both stayed under 60C under load?)

do you have a link to the PSU that you're using? or at least a model number?

xythas

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
The PSU is mounted at the top and blows down. There's a fan that pulls air out of the case in the back. The CPU has a fan on it with a cone that extends to the case wall and pulls air in from the outside. The video card takes up two slots and has a fan that blows out the back as well.

The CPU and GPU both stay under 60C when under load.

The PSU I use is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256071

xythas

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Just an update, but it now just randomly shuts down regardless of what I'm doing. Doesn't matter what is open or how much is open. It can go for hours without a problem or continue to shut down every 5 minutes.

random shutdowns typically point to PSU problem. Because if it were other hardware you would BSOD or just reboot.

You say that you have it mounted up top and it's blowing DOWN? You sure it's not pulling UP and out of the back?

Because if it is blowing down then basically you're going against convection, where hot air is trying to rise and you're trying to blow it down, which is never a good thing.

See if you can get your hands on a different working PSU (borrow from a friend) and see if it solves the issue. If you don't have access to such high wattage PSU pull out the GPU and try with a lower Wattage PSU with your PC. If that works fine, then you can try your GPU in another computer somewhere.

troubleshot

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I also have this exact problem, with the same symptoms. I have at this point replaced every component in the system EXCEPT the motherboard/cpu (and those are on order now). I don't want to hijack this troubleshooting thread, but this is not some "you didn't install your cooling properly" or "you forgot to seat your cord/component/cabling connection" issue in my opinion.

The OP didn't give full system specs, but I personally would love to know what they were for the purposes of troubleshooting what kind of serious hardware conflict exists with his/her (our) hardware. My current (and on the way out) motherboard is an EVGA FTW3 (X58 platform motherboard) with a Gulftown i7-980x. The Gulftown worked wonderfully in my Gigabyte UD7 board, so my personal take is that the EVGA (this is the RMA'd second board of the same model) is to blame. As I said, I don't want to hijack this thead, but I am only adding my personal experience to perhaps help the OP diagnose his/her issue.

Lots of folks jump on the overheating/reseating/psu bandwagon and those are certainly very common issues, but it's not always the case. Sometimes the motherboard (even with updated bios, adjusted ram voltages, timings, underclocking, etc) just simply won't work as advertised with some hardware configurations, despite what you might read in the specifications.