EQ2 Soloing

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 15, 2005 9:49:41 PM

I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

More about : eq2 soloing

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 15, 2005 9:49:42 PM

Slice wrote:
> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
sorely
> missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something
of a
> casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it.
Before I
> take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

I quit EQ2 because I didn't feel like I could solo effectively. Since
then, they have made a bunch of changes, but nothing that has really
jumped out at me as worth resubscribing. I like the Mentoring, but
mostly would wish it was implemented in WoW.

Personally, in WoW I have 7 characters, so when my main (currenlty 50)
runs out of things to do, I have 6 others to fall back on. I assume
that if you really are a casual player, you only have one character at
high levels, so...make another one! Have fun with twinking...or
perhaps try the other side! I honestly couldn't care less about the
lack of things to do at high levels, when I still have fun at low
levels with new characters.

Game on,

The Oneiromancer
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 15, 2005 9:49:42 PM

if you like soloing, stay in WoW. EQ2 is a game for people that liked
playing in groups. Yes you can solo, but more like something to do
while you get a group, which is not a bad thing, I think a MMORPG
should be designed either for soloing or for grouping, doing both
things just waters down either of the two
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 15, 2005 9:49:42 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:49:41 GMT, "Slice" <orlac@sree.org>
wrotC:D RIVE_E

>I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

It's gotten a lot easier. They've dramatically upped solo XP in recent
patches and have added a lot more solo quests. Still, a lot of the
game assumes a group -- most dungeons, for instance, are deathtraps
for the solo player.
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 15, 2005 11:37:27 PM

"Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote in

> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in
> EQ2?

Yes, quite feasible, I do it all the time. That being said, there
certainly is content you will miss out on.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner
March 15, 2005 11:39:09 PM

"Slice" wrote

>I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

Yes, you can solo in EQ2. There are some quests you'll
most likely want to group to do. You'll also level slower
than someone who groups. But you CAN solo in EQ2.

One thing to remember -- EQ2 is a *grouping* game in
which you can solo. But the IoR is a pretty good indicator
of what the entire game is like (some mobs you don't fight
solo, some quests you don't do solo, etc. along with lots
of solo content..)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 15, 2005 11:40:14 PM

wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote in news:1110915759.932429.314010
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> if you like soloing, stay in WoW. EQ2 is a game for people that liked
> playing in groups. Yes you can solo, but more like something to do
> while you get a group, which is not a bad thing, I think a MMORPG
> should be designed either for soloing or for grouping, doing both
> things just waters down either of the two

I have soloed probably 50-70% of my EQ2 playtime, and am having no
difficulty at all doing so. I cannot compare it to WoW, have never tried
WoW. There is content in EQ2 that cannot be soloed, but there is quite a
bit that is soloable, including many quests. Many of the quests that I
could not complete earlier, I am finding I can complete solo now, when the
group encounter mobs are green (still give xp, not bad xp even as a group
encounter), or, in some cases, grey (no xp).

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 6:04:16 AM

"Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote in message
> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
> missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
> casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
> take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

Pretty much what others have said, yes, you can solo, but not like you could
in EQ. The game is designed to encourage grouping, so it's a lot more fun
and a lot easier to get things done in a group. When you do things for a
quest as part of a group, everyone in the group gets credit if they are
doing the same quest, so it's often easy to find a group to help you.

You can still solo, but you probably wouldn't want to solo your way through
levels 100% as it would get pretty boring. Solo MOB's are usually pretty
mundane, like bears, wolves, beetles, snakes etc.... and there is not a lot
of skill or tactics involved.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 7:58:54 AM

>> You can still solo, but you probably wouldn't want to solo your way
>> through levels 100% as it would get pretty boring. Solo MOB's are
>> usually pretty mundane, like bears, wolves, beetles, snakes etc....
>> and there is not a lot of skill or tactics involved.

>There's no reason why a solo player can't handle group
>mobs. He just does it when they're blue or green instead
>of white/yellow/orange.

Yep the changes to con colours means EQ2 it pretty much 100% soloable.
The only things you have trouble with are very large mobs and raid
mobs. Anything marked as heroic (ie for groups) are now perfectly
soloable when they are green. It you want to take them on at blue or
above you would need to group. I'm led to believe that's the same in
WOW though.

There's so much more solo content now compared to when the game was
first released. People used to hit a brick wall in the 20s for solo
content but that's not the case any longer. Don't believe the people
who claim the game is not soloable. That's most definitely not the
case.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 8:27:11 AM

>Other quests, eg blackburrows, involve group mobs,
>and i have soloed green and blue grp mobs with my
>warrior but my summoner just seems to get wasted.

They can be done if the pet keeps aggro. If they start to hit you
directly then you've got problems! Grouping does make it easier but
it's no longer impossible to do solo.

>I've grouped a bit and the xp is faster, but so is the death rate and
the
>annoyance factor of group members falling off cliffs or just going afk
for
>extended periods (if someone's at the door, camp, it's 20 seconds of
your
>time!)

Which is why I don't group much anymore. Can take for ever to find a
group and the exp isn't much better anymore. You can 3-4% for soloing
a low risk green heroic mob or 3-4% taking on a high risk red heroic
mob!

>I've tried both and I couldn't say either game gets me over excited.
EQ2 is
>getting better but still has problems such as not being able to share
>quests, so it's hard to get everyone interested in questing, and a lot
of
>mobs never seem to get touched, which is just wasted content. I wish
there
>was an xp bonus for killing a mob for the first time, and a law of
>diminishing returns that would push people to try new areas.

God yes I saw an old TV program made before EQ2 was released. They had
the guy making the sea look all pretty on. When asked if it mattered,
he replied yes since people will be fighting a lot in the sea. Brought
a smile to my face!

If you look at COH people are very keen to do other peoples quests.
That's because they get good exp and money for doing it. They don't
get any quest credit though. If EQ2 did the former it might help. Ie,
everyone gets the exp and coin bonus for finishing a quest and not just
the person who has the quest.
March 16, 2005 8:36:41 AM

Slapfish scribbled:

> Pretty much what others have said, yes, you can solo, but not like
> you could in EQ.

Clarification: "not like you could in EQ" *IF* you were playing
a solo class. LOTS better than you could in EQ *IF* you were
not playing a solo class.

> You can still solo, but you probably wouldn't want to solo your way
> through levels 100% as it would get pretty boring. Solo MOB's are
> usually pretty mundane, like bears, wolves, beetles, snakes etc....
> and there is not a lot of skill or tactics involved.

There's no reason why a solo player can't handle group
mobs. He just does it when they're blue or green instead
of white/yellow/orange.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 1:41:29 PM

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> I have soloed probably 50-70% of my EQ2 playtime, and am having no
> difficulty at all doing so. I cannot compare it to WoW, have never tried
> WoW. There is content in EQ2 that cannot be soloed, but there is quite a
> bit that is soloable, including many quests. Many of the quests that I
> could not complete earlier, I am finding I can complete solo now, when the
> group encounter mobs are green (still give xp, not bad xp even as a group
> encounter), or, in some cases, grey (no xp).

Yes, you can solo many things when you are strong enough. But I often find
that the loot will be green og blue to you too, so you wouldn't use it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 3:59:06 PM

"Frandsen" <DetKanDuGlemme@invalid.kd> wrote in message
> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> > I have soloed probably 50-70% of my EQ2 playtime, and am having no
> > difficulty at all doing so. I cannot compare it to WoW, have never
tried
> > WoW. There is content in EQ2 that cannot be soloed, but there is quite
> > bit that is soloable, including many quests. Many of the quests that I
> > could not complete earlier, I am finding I can complete solo now, when
the
> > group encounter mobs are green (still give xp, not bad xp even as a
group
> > encounter), or, in some cases, grey (no xp).
>
> Yes, you can solo many things when you are strong enough. But I often find
> that the loot will be green og blue to you too, so you wouldn't use it.

I tend to sell the loot off, but the quest rewards can be awesome. I have
done 4 characters to about 17, and there are some where you can solo all the
way, like dane's boots and the "restoring the balance" one (also the seafood
one in sq involving sea turles etc), and the catalog of outlying qeynos,
that give decent gear. Other quests, eg blackburrows, involve group mobs,
and i have soloed green and blue grp mobs with my warrior but my summoner
just seems to get wasted.

I've grouped a bit and the xp is faster, but so is the death rate and the
annoyance factor of group members falling off cliffs or just going afk for
extended periods (if someone's at the door, camp, it's 20 seconds of your
time!)

I've tried both and I couldn't say either game gets me over excited. EQ2 is
getting better but still has problems such as not being able to share
quests, so it's hard to get everyone interested in questing, and a lot of
mobs never seem to get touched, which is just wasted content. I wish there
was an xp bonus for killing a mob for the first time, and a law of
diminishing returns that would push people to try new areas.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 6:52:22 PM

"Frandsen" <DetKanDuGlemme@invalid.kd> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>> I have soloed probably 50-70% of my EQ2 playtime, and am having no
>> difficulty at all doing so. I cannot compare it to WoW, have never
>> tried WoW. There is content in EQ2 that cannot be soloed, but there
>> is quite a bit that is soloable, including many quests. Many of the
>> quests that I could not complete earlier, I am finding I can complete
>> solo now, when the group encounter mobs are green (still give xp, not
>> bad xp even as a group encounter), or, in some cases, grey (no xp).
>
> Yes, you can solo many things when you are strong enough. But I often
> find that the loot will be green og blue to you too, so you wouldn't
> use it.

Most of the loot I wouldn't use regardless, it's almost all cash loot
stuff to be sold off. The solo encounters in EQ2 however you perfectly
doable when the mobs still con orange, and drop loot appropriate to their
level. Usually the most useful drops are spells/abilities and tradeskill
books.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 7:38:48 PM

I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are much
more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the servers.
"Just my opinion, I may be wrong"

Slice wrote:
> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
> missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
> casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
> take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 17, 2005 6:10:01 AM

Michael Lyons wrote:
> Well, damn! I cannot figure out how to make Outlook Express default
> starting replies to NG posts below the quoted text!! Anybody using
this lame
> exuse for a newsreader able to tell me how to set this option
properly?
> Thanks a lot! :-)

I'm confused as to why you would need this. Most of the time I need to
start my reply mid-way through someone's post so defaulting to the top
or bottom of the post is no big deal. I just move my cursor down (or
up) to the relevant place in the post. I also delete bits that I'm not
replying to.

steve.kaye
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 17, 2005 7:51:55 AM

OMG! OMG!!! Top posting!! grab yer flamethrowers of mighty retribution!!

Sorry, I just saw a silly thread elsewhere that yet again degenerated into a
battle of words of the relative merits of posting in top or bottom, instead
of just talking with each other about the original post. When I saw this top
post I just couldn't resist. Speaking of which, using Outlook now I realize
my default is to top post!!! Somebody help me! How do I fix this stupid
program? Don't be bothered... I will go fix it myself right now... hehe.

"Kyle Monson" <klmonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
>Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are much
>more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the servers.
> "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"
>
> Slice wrote:
>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>> missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>> casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>> take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 17, 2005 7:57:44 AM

Well, damn! I cannot figure out how to make Outlook Express default to
starting replies to NG posts below the quoted text!! Anybody using this lame
exuse for a newsreader able to tell me how to set this option properly?
Thanks a lot! :-)

"Kyle Monson" <klmonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
>Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are much
>more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the servers.
> "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"
>
> Slice wrote:
>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>> missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>> casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>> take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 17, 2005 12:59:17 PM

Rumbledor wrote:
> > Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either.
>
> I would agree with that as well, though IMO, that also makes them
less
> meaningful. Anyone can easily become master of some tradeskill while
> levelling up adventuring. It really requires little effort outside
the
> course of typical gameplay.

I assume you haven't reached the highest levels of the tradeskills in
WoW then?

Almost all of the recipes over 250 or 255 for each manufacturing
tradeskill are drops, not trained. Also, at 250, I believe all the
manufacturing tradeskills split into specialties, which require small
quests to begin in, and you can't go back without deleting the
tradeskill and starting over again. There are still some generic
recipes above 250, but not as common as before.

As a Leatherworker, I have definitely noticed a huge difference in my
progress over 200. It took a while before I was able to find a recipe
that was orange (= guaranteed skillup) between 250 and 260 that wasn't
a Dragonscale one (which requires about 30 rare worn dragonscales and
40 thick leather), and I was having horrible luck with the yellow
recipes. As a hunter, the only Dragonscale I'd want is the Black
Dragonscale which adds to attack power...but no Agility. So I'm not
even sure if I want it at all...but it's a moot point since I haven't
seen the recipes at all, or fought mobs which drop black dragonscales!

Tradeskills go up very fast at low levels, for sure, but then again, so
do your actual levels. It's not unusual to be making items that you
can't use yet, but for me it's never been more than 3 or 4 levels. And
it eventually starts to get expensive to learn the next highest rank of
recipes...I think to advance past 225 skill you need to pay 5 gold,
even for gathering skills. So there are some built-in delays for those
who aren't twinks.

Basically, I'd say that anyone can become an expert in a tradeskill
through normal gameplay, but not everyone will have the inclination to
become a master of their respective tradeskills.

Game on,

The Oneiromancer
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 17, 2005 5:56:00 PM

Kyle Monson <klmonson@adelphia.net> wrote in

> Slice wrote:
>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo
>> in EQ2?
>>
> I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
> Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are
> much more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the
> servers. "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"

Please don't toppost here.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 17, 2005 5:57:13 PM

"Michael Lyons" <Linmukai@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:o YudnXx3bMkLyaTfRVn-iw@comcast.com:

> "Kyle Monson" <klmonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Slice wrote:
>>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo
>>> in EQ2?
>>
>>I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
>>Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are
>>much more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the
>>servers.
>>
> Well, damn! I cannot figure out how to make Outlook Express default to
> starting replies to NG posts below the quoted text!! Anybody using
> this lame exuse for a newsreader able to tell me how to set this
> option properly? Thanks a lot! :-)

I have heard there is some kludge for it, but, your best bet is to
switch.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 17, 2005 6:21:09 PM

Kyle Monson <klmonson@adelphia.net> wrote in

< top post fixed >

> Slice wrote:
>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo
>> in EQ2?

> I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,

I would have to agree.

> Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either.

I would agree with that as well, though IMO, that also makes them less
meaningful. Anyone can easily become master of some tradeskill while
levelling up adventuring. It really requires little effort outside the
course of typical gameplay.

> EQ servers are much more stable and patches only occasinally totally
> screw up the servers. "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"

I'd agree with that. Lengthy login queues are also a wicked black eye that
Blizzard is going to be some time in getting over.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

Graeme Faelban wrote:
> Not at all, ALL classes can solo quite well in EQ2. At level 28 I
still
> solo orange mobs. When I take on group encounters, those need to be
> green or grey, but for solo mobs, orange is not really a problem.
Some
> classes do solo better than others certainly.

All classes can solo, some just have a lot harder time of it than
others. Scouts have a lot harder time than tanks, which have a lot
harder time than healers. Not sure where mages fit in, but I believe
they are pretty easy to solo with also. Scouts have a tough time of it
- and watching one struggle with a green/blue con next to a priest
taking out a yellow/orange con without breaking a sweat is
disheartening.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 18, 2005 10:18:25 PM

Kyle Monson wrote:
> I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
> Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are much
> more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the servers.
> "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"
>
> Slice wrote:
>
>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in
>> EQ2?

It very much depends on the char you choose, I play a druid and solo is
almost impossible when in the high teens , even with blue mob
Much more fun as group
Choose Fighter Class if you want to solo
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 18, 2005 10:22:56 PM

Pottle <neukuk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:5QF_d.88197$Bk7.19756
@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> Kyle Monson wrote:
>> I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
>> Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are
much
>> more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the servers.
>> "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"
>>
>> Slice wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo
in
>>> EQ2?
>>>
> It very much depends on the char you choose, I play a druid and solo is
> almost impossible when in the high teens , even with blue mob
> Much more fun as group
> Choose Fighter Class if you want to solo

Not at all, ALL classes can solo quite well in EQ2. At level 28 I still
solo orange mobs. When I take on group encounters, those need to be
green or grey, but for solo mobs, orange is not really a problem. Some
classes do solo better than others certainly.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner
March 18, 2005 11:20:32 PM

Pottle scribbled:

> I play a druid and solo is almost impossible when in the high teens , even
> with blue mob

That'd be you, not the class. My druid solo'd orange solo
mobs in the high teens. Did through the 20s, too. Doesn't
have a problem with the same in the 30s yet either. Group
mobs were/are doable blue in most cases.

It's very important to upgrade your spells but that's about
it. And avoiding group mobs with a lot of mobs (which
have a high damage peak output early on.) Those
crowds of antelopes in TS were a big PITA...

> Much more fun as group

That would depend on your definition of fun, of course...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 18, 2005 11:42:10 PM

"scritchy" <scritchy@gmail.com> wrote in news:1111175707.140011.97950
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Graeme Faelban wrote:
>> Not at all, ALL classes can solo quite well in EQ2. At level 28 I
>> still solo orange mobs. When I take on group encounters, those need
>> to be green or grey, but for solo mobs, orange is not really a
>> problem. Some classes do solo better than others certainly.
>
> All classes can solo, some just have a lot harder time of it than
> others. Scouts have a lot harder time than tanks, which have a lot
> harder time than healers. Not sure where mages fit in, but I believe
> they are pretty easy to solo with also. Scouts have a tough time of it
> - and watching one struggle with a green/blue con next to a priest
> taking out a yellow/orange con without breaking a sweat is
> disheartening.

The person I responded to was talking about a druid soloing in the teens.
Can't speak for scouts, but my brawler is taking on groups that my shaman
could not take on at his level.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 19, 2005 2:05:33 PM

"Michael Lyons" <Linmukai@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o YudnXx3bMkLyaTfRVn-iw@comcast.com...
> Well, damn! I cannot figure out how to make Outlook Express default to
> starting replies to NG posts below the quoted text!! Anybody using this lame
> exuse for a newsreader able to tell me how to set this option properly?
> Thanks a lot! :-)

Right side of the keyboard. Usually it's a set of four keys by itself, just
to the left of the number pad. One of them has an arrow pointing down on it.
Hold that for a second or two.

Alternately, some mouses will allow you to roll the center wheel downwards.
Do that for a moment.

HTH. HAND.

--
Davian - Night Elf Rogue on Bloodhoof
Dearic - Dwarven Paladin on Bloodhoof

"scritchy" <scritchy@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Graeme Faelban wrote:
> > Not at all, ALL classes can solo quite well in EQ2. At level 28 I
> still
> > solo orange mobs. When I take on group encounters, those need to be
> > green or grey, but for solo mobs, orange is not really a problem.
> Some
> > classes do solo better than others certainly.
>
> All classes can solo, some just have a lot harder time of it than
> others. Scouts have a lot harder time than tanks, which have a lot
> harder time than healers. Not sure where mages fit in, but I believe
> they are pretty easy to solo with also. Scouts have a tough time of it
> - and watching one struggle with a green/blue con next to a priest
> taking out a yellow/orange con without breaking a sweat is
> disheartening.

I've soloed to 19 as a conjuror. So long as I avoid 'group' mobs, i can
tackle orange mobs. My gear is yellow or orange and many of my spells are
adept 1, if not they are app 4. Mind you i've found my root spell almost
useless. I've just gotten immobilize and am hoping it is a lot more useful
than it's predecessor, as it would make tackling the group mobs more doable.
Some people say they can solo blue grp mobs, but it's never been an option,
and i found warrior types work much better against groups.
March 19, 2005 7:03:49 PM

Shadow scribbled:

> I've soloed to 19 as a conjuror. So long as I avoid 'group' mobs, i
> can tackle orange mobs. My gear is yellow or orange and many of my
> spells are adept 1, if not they are app 4. Mind you i've found my
> root spell almost useless. I've just gotten immobilize and am hoping
> it is a lot more useful than it's predecessor, as it would make
> tackling the group mobs more doable. Some people say they can solo
> blue grp mobs, but it's never been an option, and i found warrior
> types work much better against groups.

Let's be clear: there are *four* types of 'regular' fights.

These are solo and group encounters, both of which can
have either single or multiple mobs. IOW, you can have a
group of mobs (two or more) which are designed for solo
players and a group of mobs which are designed for a group
of players. And, of course, single mobs which are designed
for solo players and single mobs which are designed for a
group of players.

A conjurer (and plenty of other classes) have trouble when
they try to solo group encounters which consist of multiple
mobs. The peak damage output of this type of encounter
is too high. A guardian (or any type with high damage
mitigation) may have more luck simply because they can
take the peak damage better.

However, most characters (all I've tried anyway) can solo
group encounters which consist of single mobs. Certainly
when they're green, often when they're blue, and sometimes
even when they're white/yellow. Conjurers certainly can;
the pet has excellent taunt and the conjurer just sits back
and nukes/heals as needed.

At any rate -- I think it's important to clarify what's being
talked about -- whether it's a group of mobs or a single
mob characterized as a group encounter. Certainly the
"group of mobs which are designed for a group of players"
are tough for all classes to solo when they're white/yellow.
And, for some, that's even true when they're green. But
I've yet to see a class that couldn't solo a "single mob
designed for a group of players" once it was green (and,
in my experience, when it was blue.)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 20, 2005 3:25:38 AM

Davian dit:

> "Michael Lyons" <Linmukai@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o YudnXx3bMkLyaTfRVn-iw@comcast.com...
> > Well, damn! I cannot figure out how to make Outlook Express default to
> > starting replies to NG posts below the quoted text!! Anybody using this lame
> > exuse for a newsreader able to tell me how to set this option properly?
> > Thanks a lot! :-)
> >

> Right side of the keyboard. Usually it's a set of four keys by itself, just
> to the left of the number pad. One of them has an arrow pointing down on it.
> Hold that for a second or two.
>
> Alternately, some mouses will allow you to roll the center wheel downwards.
> Do that for a moment.
>
> HTH. HAND.
>

> --
> Davian - Night Elf Rogue on Bloodhoof
> Dearic - Dwarven Paladin on Bloodhoof

Your sig delimiter is incorrect. Try '-- '

HTH. HAND.

:o p

--
Etc.

Live - http://www.empee.org
Dead - http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?empee
-----------------------------
MSN: empee at post dot com
--------------------------------
E & OE.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 20, 2005 6:48:09 AM

"Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in message

<snip>
> I've soloed to 19 as a conjuror. So long as I avoid 'group' mobs, i can
> tackle orange mobs. My gear is yellow or orange and many of my spells are
> adept 1, if not they are app 4. Mind you i've found my root spell almost
> useless. I've just gotten immobilize and am hoping it is a lot more useful
> than it's predecessor, as it would make tackling the group mobs more
doable.
> Some people say they can solo blue grp mobs, but it's never been an
option,
> and i found warrior types work much better against groups.

I've got immobolize adept 1, am 19, and it doesn't stick against ordinary lv
14 mobs. Argh.
March 20, 2005 7:54:26 AM

Shadow scribbled:

> I've got immobolize adept 1, am 19, and it doesn't stick against
> ordinary lv 14 mobs. Argh.

Are you doing something to the mob? Root in EQ2
*always* breaks on damage AFAIK. I've seen
immobilize (AppIII) last quite a while on mobs
that weren't being damaged.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 20, 2005 5:57:20 PM

On 16 Mar 2005 04:58:54 -0800, BombayMix wrote:

>Anything marked as heroic (ie for groups) are now perfectly
>soloable when they are green.

That's far from true, fortunately. At least as a 29 guardian, many heroic
green++ singles as well as many heroic green groups tear me apart. Not all,
but as many as 10-20%, maybe.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep

"Wolfie" <bgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in message
> Shadow scribbled:
>
> > I've got immobolize adept 1, am 19, and it doesn't stick against
> > ordinary lv 14 mobs. Argh.
>
> Are you doing something to the mob? Root in EQ2
> *always* breaks on damage AFAIK. I've seen
> immobilize (AppIII) last quite a while on mobs
> that weren't being damaged.

just dotting, or is that out as well?
March 20, 2005 8:54:43 PM

Shadow scribbled:
> "Wolfie" wrote

>> Shadow scribbled:
>>
>>> I've got immobolize adept 1, am 19, and it doesn't stick against
>>> ordinary lv 14 mobs. Argh.
>>
>> Are you doing something to the mob? Root in EQ2
>> *always* breaks on damage AFAIK. I've seen
>> immobilize (AppIII) last quite a while on mobs
>> that weren't being damaged.
>
> just dotting, or is that out as well?

Yes, a DoT would cause root to break. One of the
prime 'rules' in EQ2 is "if you can damage it, it can
damage you."
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 21, 2005 3:30:09 AM

Wolfie wrote:
> Yes, a DoT would cause root to break. One of the
> prime 'rules' in EQ2 is "if you can damage it, it can
> damage you."

I don't have much experience in this area but, at low levels, DoTs
didn't always break root. When I fought the pairs of armidillos I
would root and DoT one and then fight the other. When I had finished
with the non-rooted one and attacked the other I would have much less
work to do.

Of course this may change at later levels - this was at 8-10. (I
haven't played any caster past 11 yet)

steve.kaye
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 21, 2005 6:19:47 PM

"Wolfie" <bgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in news:6m7%d.209968$JF2.75888
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> Shadow scribbled:
>
>> I've got immobolize adept 1, am 19, and it doesn't stick against
>> ordinary lv 14 mobs. Argh.
>
> Are you doing something to the mob? Root in EQ2
> *always* breaks on damage AFAIK. I've seen
> immobilize (AppIII) last quite a while on mobs
> that weren't being damaged.

It does not always break on damage, I have rooted and nuked mobs to death
numerous times. Sometimes it breaks, sometimes it does not. Nuking gives
root a chance to break.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 21, 2005 6:22:20 PM

Henrik Dissing <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in

> On 16 Mar 2005 04:58:54 -0800, BombayMix wrote:
>
>>Anything marked as heroic (ie for groups) are now perfectly soloable
>>when they are green.
>
> That's far from true, fortunately. At least as a 29 guardian, many
> heroic green++ singles as well as many heroic green groups tear me
> apart. Not all, but as many as 10-20%, maybe.

Same for my Mystic, some I can do, some I cannot. All my spells are either
adept 1 or app IV, my equipment is a mix of orange and blue now.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 23, 2005 9:43:44 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:49:41 GMT, "Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote:

>I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

No, not like you have been in WoW. Once you reach level 20, you are
going to hit a wall. You can solo beyond that but the funfactor is
almost non-existant. EQ2 is not very fun at all.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 23, 2005 10:43:57 PM

Krunk <getkrunk@bolo.org> wrote in

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:49:41 GMT, "Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote:
>
>>I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>>sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>>something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>>enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in
>>EQ2?
>>

> No, not like you have been in WoW. Once you reach level 20, you are
> going to hit a wall. You can solo beyond that but the funfactor is
> almost non-existant. EQ2 is not very fun at all.

Not really, level 28 so far, and having no trouble at all soloing. Also
having no trouble at all finding groups when I feel like grouping.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 25, 2005 6:08:36 PM

Petrify- is THE best root for conjurers. It's actually a stun. The
purpose of this spell is to stop be mob from hitting you while your pet
reaquires aggro. When in groups it is your job to use it for crowd control
when the tanks/enchanters need an extra few seconds to get a mob under
control.

It does not break for me no matter how many times the mob gets hit. It's a
static duration. The other 'root' spells are poor substitutes even in adept
forms. My necro is 36 and the only time I use them is when my stuns are off
line due to recast/resists.

Solo Content- I have a 36 necro and a 36 sk in eq2 and both can take lvl 40
mobs with total ease. My 38 cleric (INQ) finds thing equally doable. I've
soloed my sk and my necro for about 1/4 of the time I've played them. At 36
I have more then 325 quests completed per char...all unique...if repeatable
quests counted I'm sure that number would be x4 of that at least. Generally
if I need a group for a quest I find one. EQ2 is 100% quest driven. People
will say thing's like "I don't xp, I only quest.' Even if I'm grinding on
turtles or something equally dull I can find at least 1 or 2 quests to do at
the same time. Lvl 1-20 are so completely easy to solo. Most players pass
up the grouped areas long before they realize they are there.

The reason people complain about 20+ being a wall is because that's the
first chance they get to leave the newbie zones. Commonlands is a newbie
zone. I don't consider Nek to be one. Mobs are tougher and smarter cause
it's time for you to grow up and become what ever it is that you've chosen
for your class. Mages won't want to melee anymore and cleric actually have
to use wards/heals in fights.

Also at those lower lvls it's a common thing to run up on another player
killing what you are after and to form an impromptu 2-3 man group. The
purpose is to complete the quest faster and not compete with other players
for spawns. Once you hit those advanced zones things are alot more open and
less bottle necked...they aren't holding your hand anymore. You have to
start learning where to go and what's the safest way to move there. SOE has
facilitated solo ALOT... you can see their work all the way up to the lvl 40
mobs. They've busted up group encounters in outdoor zones in almost ever
area. There will be group spawns there, but along side them will be plenty
of solo roamers to pick off. EQ1 and EQ2 share in one thing about zone
design...most outdoor zones are shifting to alot of solo content...alot.
The indoor zones tend to be 100% group encounters and quest to match.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 25, 2005 9:42:39 PM

"Krunk" <getkrunk@bolo.org> wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:49:41 GMT, "Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote:
>
>>I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>>missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>>casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>>take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?
>>

> No, not like you have been in WoW. Once you reach level 20, you are
> going to hit a wall. You can solo beyond that but the funfactor is
> almost non-existant. EQ2 is not very fun at all.

Soloing is becoming more possible and enjoyable now with sympathetic some
updates, like graham my main is 28, but when he was lvl 20 a few months back
it seemed like soloers hit a brick wall.

My one bug bear is that so many quest require grps and can u find a grp -
depends what quest, where and time. When you can struggle through solo the
mobs are often grey which seems annoying> There are certainly more solo
quest now (and solo mobs/weak grps I think) and I am having the pleasure of
being spoilt for choice for hunt quest areas.

ATB
Grimchrim
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 25, 2005 10:46:56 PM

"The Chris" <chris_barry@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Krunk" <getkrunk@bolo.org> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:49:41 GMT, "Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote:
>>
>>>I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>>>missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>>>casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>>>take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?
>>>

>> No, not like you have been in WoW. Once you reach level 20, you are
>> going to hit a wall. You can solo beyond that but the funfactor is
>> almost non-existant. EQ2 is not very fun at all.
>
> Soloing is becoming more possible and enjoyable now with sympathetic some
> updates, like graham my main is 28, but when he was lvl 20 a few months
> back it seemed like soloers hit a brick wall.
>
> My one bug bear is that so many quest require grps and can u find a grp -
> depends what quest, where and time. When you can struggle through solo the
> mobs are often grey which seems annoying> There are certainly more solo
> quest now (and solo mobs/weak grps I think) and I am having the pleasure
> of being spoilt for choice for hunt quest areas.
>
> ATB
> Grimchrim

Atrocious grammar I do apologise)

You can solo, though if possible you cannot beat a decent grp - big or
small.

ATB
Grimchrim
!