EQ2 Soloing

I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

Slice wrote:
> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
sorely
> missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something
of a
> casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it.
Before I
> take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

I quit EQ2 because I didn't feel like I could solo effectively. Since
then, they have made a bunch of changes, but nothing that has really
jumped out at me as worth resubscribing. I like the Mentoring, but
mostly would wish it was implemented in WoW.

Personally, in WoW I have 7 characters, so when my main (currenlty 50)
runs out of things to do, I have 6 others to fall back on. I assume
that if you really are a casual player, you only have one character at
high levels, so...make another one! Have fun with twinking...or
perhaps try the other side! I honestly couldn't care less about the
lack of things to do at high levels, when I still have fun at low
levels with new characters.

Game on,

The Oneiromancer

if you like soloing, stay in WoW. EQ2 is a game for people that liked
playing in groups. Yes you can solo, but more like something to do
while you get a group, which is not a bad thing, I think a MMORPG
should be designed either for soloing or for grouping, doing both
things just waters down either of the two

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:49:41 GMT, "Slice" <orlac@sree.org>
wrotC:DRIVE_E

>I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

It's gotten a lot easier. They've dramatically upped solo XP in recent
patches and have added a lot more solo quests. Still, a lot of the
game assumes a group -- most dungeons, for instance, are deathtraps
for the solo player.
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com

"Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote in

> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in
> EQ2?

Yes, quite feasible, I do it all the time. That being said, there
certainly is content you will miss out on.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner

Wolfie

"Slice" wrote

>I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

Yes, you can solo in EQ2. There are some quests you'll
most likely want to group to do. You'll also level slower
than someone who groups. But you CAN solo in EQ2.

One thing to remember -- EQ2 is a *grouping* game in
which you can solo. But the IoR is a pretty good indicator
of what the entire game is like (some mobs you don't fight
solo, some quests you don't do solo, etc. along with lots
of solo content..)

wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote in news:1110915759.932429.314010
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> if you like soloing, stay in WoW. EQ2 is a game for people that liked
> playing in groups. Yes you can solo, but more like something to do
> while you get a group, which is not a bad thing, I think a MMORPG
> should be designed either for soloing or for grouping, doing both
> things just waters down either of the two

I have soloed probably 50-70% of my EQ2 playtime, and am having no
difficulty at all doing so. I cannot compare it to WoW, have never tried
WoW. There is content in EQ2 that cannot be soloed, but there is quite a
bit that is soloable, including many quests. Many of the quests that I
could not complete earlier, I am finding I can complete solo now, when the
group encounter mobs are green (still give xp, not bad xp even as a group
encounter), or, in some cases, grey (no xp).

--

"Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote in message
> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
> missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
> casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
> take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

Pretty much what others have said, yes, you can solo, but not like you could
in EQ. The game is designed to encourage grouping, so it's a lot more fun
and a lot easier to get things done in a group. When you do things for a
quest as part of a group, everyone in the group gets credit if they are
doing the same quest, so it's often easy to find a group to help you.

You can still solo, but you probably wouldn't want to solo your way through
levels 100% as it would get pretty boring. Solo MOB's are usually pretty
mundane, like bears, wolves, beetles, snakes etc.... and there is not a lot
of skill or tactics involved.

>> You can still solo, but you probably wouldn't want to solo your way
>> through levels 100% as it would get pretty boring. Solo MOB's are
>> usually pretty mundane, like bears, wolves, beetles, snakes etc....
>> and there is not a lot of skill or tactics involved.

>There's no reason why a solo player can't handle group
>mobs. He just does it when they're blue or green instead
>of white/yellow/orange.

Yep the changes to con colours means EQ2 it pretty much 100% soloable.
The only things you have trouble with are very large mobs and raid
mobs. Anything marked as heroic (ie for groups) are now perfectly
soloable when they are green. It you want to take them on at blue or
above you would need to group. I'm led to believe that's the same in
WOW though.

There's so much more solo content now compared to when the game was
first released. People used to hit a brick wall in the 20s for solo
content but that's not the case any longer. Don't believe the people
who claim the game is not soloable. That's most definitely not the
case.

>Other quests, eg blackburrows, involve group mobs,
>and i have soloed green and blue grp mobs with my
>warrior but my summoner just seems to get wasted.

They can be done if the pet keeps aggro. If they start to hit you
directly then you've got problems! Grouping does make it easier but
it's no longer impossible to do solo.

>I've grouped a bit and the xp is faster, but so is the death rate and
the
>annoyance factor of group members falling off cliffs or just going afk
for
>extended periods (if someone's at the door, camp, it's 20 seconds of
your
>time!)

Which is why I don't group much anymore. Can take for ever to find a
group and the exp isn't much better anymore. You can 3-4% for soloing
a low risk green heroic mob or 3-4% taking on a high risk red heroic
mob!

>I've tried both and I couldn't say either game gets me over excited.
EQ2 is
>getting better but still has problems such as not being able to share
>quests, so it's hard to get everyone interested in questing, and a lot
of
>mobs never seem to get touched, which is just wasted content. I wish
there
>was an xp bonus for killing a mob for the first time, and a law of
>diminishing returns that would push people to try new areas.

God yes I saw an old TV program made before EQ2 was released. They had
the guy making the sea look all pretty on. When asked if it mattered,
he replied yes since people will be fighting a lot in the sea. Brought
a smile to my face!

If you look at COH people are very keen to do other peoples quests.
That's because they get good exp and money for doing it. They don't
get any quest credit though. If EQ2 did the former it might help. Ie,
everyone gets the exp and coin bonus for finishing a quest and not just
the person who has the quest.

Wolfie

Slapfish scribbled:

> Pretty much what others have said, yes, you can solo, but not like
> you could in EQ.

Clarification: "not like you could in EQ" *IF* you were playing
a solo class. LOTS better than you could in EQ *IF* you were
not playing a solo class.

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> I have soloed probably 50-70% of my EQ2 playtime, and am having no
> difficulty at all doing so. I cannot compare it to WoW, have never tried
> WoW. There is content in EQ2 that cannot be soloed, but there is quite a
> bit that is soloable, including many quests. Many of the quests that I
> could not complete earlier, I am finding I can complete solo now, when the
> group encounter mobs are green (still give xp, not bad xp even as a group
> encounter), or, in some cases, grey (no xp).

Yes, you can solo many things when you are strong enough. But I often find
that the loot will be green og blue to you too, so you wouldn't use it.

"Frandsen" <DetKanDuGlemme@invalid.kd> wrote in message
> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> > I have soloed probably 50-70% of my EQ2 playtime, and am having no
> > difficulty at all doing so. I cannot compare it to WoW, have never
tried
> > WoW. There is content in EQ2 that cannot be soloed, but there is quite
> > bit that is soloable, including many quests. Many of the quests that I
> > could not complete earlier, I am finding I can complete solo now, when
the
> > group encounter mobs are green (still give xp, not bad xp even as a
group
> > encounter), or, in some cases, grey (no xp).
>
> Yes, you can solo many things when you are strong enough. But I often find
> that the loot will be green og blue to you too, so you wouldn't use it.

I tend to sell the loot off, but the quest rewards can be awesome. I have
done 4 characters to about 17, and there are some where you can solo all the
way, like dane's boots and the "restoring the balance" one (also the seafood
one in sq involving sea turles etc), and the catalog of outlying qeynos,
that give decent gear. Other quests, eg blackburrows, involve group mobs,
and i have soloed green and blue grp mobs with my warrior but my summoner
just seems to get wasted.

I've grouped a bit and the xp is faster, but so is the death rate and the
annoyance factor of group members falling off cliffs or just going afk for
extended periods (if someone's at the door, camp, it's 20 seconds of your
time!)

I've tried both and I couldn't say either game gets me over excited. EQ2 is
getting better but still has problems such as not being able to share
quests, so it's hard to get everyone interested in questing, and a lot of
mobs never seem to get touched, which is just wasted content. I wish there
was an xp bonus for killing a mob for the first time, and a law of
diminishing returns that would push people to try new areas.

"Frandsen" <DetKanDuGlemme@invalid.kd> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>> I have soloed probably 50-70% of my EQ2 playtime, and am having no
>> difficulty at all doing so. I cannot compare it to WoW, have never
>> tried WoW. There is content in EQ2 that cannot be soloed, but there
>> is quite a bit that is soloable, including many quests. Many of the
>> quests that I could not complete earlier, I am finding I can complete
>> solo now, when the group encounter mobs are green (still give xp, not
>> bad xp even as a group encounter), or, in some cases, grey (no xp).
>
> Yes, you can solo many things when you are strong enough. But I often
> find that the loot will be green og blue to you too, so you wouldn't
> use it.

Most of the loot I wouldn't use regardless, it's almost all cash loot
stuff to be sold off. The solo encounters in EQ2 however you perfectly
doable when the mobs still con orange, and drop loot appropriate to their
level. Usually the most useful drops are spells/abilities and tradeskill
books.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner

I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are much
more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the servers.
"Just my opinion, I may be wrong"

Michael Lyons wrote:
> Well, damn! I cannot figure out how to make Outlook Express default
> starting replies to NG posts below the quoted text!! Anybody using
this lame
> exuse for a newsreader able to tell me how to set this option
properly?
> Thanks a lot! :)

I'm confused as to why you would need this. Most of the time I need to
start my reply mid-way through someone's post so defaulting to the top
or bottom of the post is no big deal. I just move my cursor down (or
up) to the relevant place in the post. I also delete bits that I'm not
replying to.

steve.kaye

OMG! OMG!!! Top posting!! grab yer flamethrowers of mighty retribution!!

Sorry, I just saw a silly thread elsewhere that yet again degenerated into a
battle of words of the relative merits of posting in top or bottom, instead
of just talking with each other about the original post. When I saw this top
post I just couldn't resist. Speaking of which, using Outlook now I realize
my default is to top post!!! Somebody help me! How do I fix this stupid
program? Don't be bothered... I will go fix it myself right now... hehe.

"Kyle Monson" <klmonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
>Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are much
>more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the servers.
> "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"
>
> Slice wrote:
>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am sorely
>> missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am something of a
>> casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and enjoyed it. Before I
>> take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in EQ2?

Well, damn! I cannot figure out how to make Outlook Express default to

Rumbledor wrote:
> > Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either.
>
> I would agree with that as well, though IMO, that also makes them
less
> meaningful. Anyone can easily become master of some tradeskill while
> levelling up adventuring. It really requires little effort outside
the
> course of typical gameplay.

I assume you haven't reached the highest levels of the tradeskills in
WoW then?

Almost all of the recipes over 250 or 255 for each manufacturing
tradeskill are drops, not trained. Also, at 250, I believe all the
manufacturing tradeskills split into specialties, which require small
quests to begin in, and you can't go back without deleting the
tradeskill and starting over again. There are still some generic
recipes above 250, but not as common as before.

As a Leatherworker, I have definitely noticed a huge difference in my
progress over 200. It took a while before I was able to find a recipe
that was orange (= guaranteed skillup) between 250 and 260 that wasn't
a Dragonscale one (which requires about 30 rare worn dragonscales and
40 thick leather), and I was having horrible luck with the yellow
recipes. As a hunter, the only Dragonscale I'd want is the Black
Dragonscale which adds to attack power...but no Agility. So I'm not
even sure if I want it at all...but it's a moot point since I haven't
seen the recipes at all, or fought mobs which drop black dragonscales!

Tradeskills go up very fast at low levels, for sure, but then again, so
do your actual levels. It's not unusual to be making items that you
can't use yet, but for me it's never been more than 3 or 4 levels. And
it eventually starts to get expensive to learn the next highest rank of
recipes...I think to advance past 225 skill you need to pay 5 gold,
even for gathering skills. So there are some built-in delays for those
who aren't twinks.

Basically, I'd say that anyone can become an expert in a tradeskill
through normal gameplay, but not everyone will have the inclination to
become a master of their respective tradeskills.

Game on,

The Oneiromancer

Kyle Monson <klmonson@adelphia.net> wrote in

> Slice wrote:
>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo
>> in EQ2?
>>
> I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
> Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are
> much more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the
> servers. "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"

Please don't toppost here.

--

"Michael Lyons" <Linmukai@yahoo.com> wrote in

> "Kyle Monson" <klmonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Slice wrote:
>>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo
>>> in EQ2?
>>
>>I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
>>Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are
>>much more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the
>>servers.
>>
> Well, damn! I cannot figure out how to make Outlook Express default to
> starting replies to NG posts below the quoted text!! Anybody using
> this lame exuse for a newsreader able to tell me how to set this
> option properly? Thanks a lot! :)

I have heard there is some kludge for it, but, your best bet is to
switch.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner

Kyle Monson <klmonson@adelphia.net> wrote in

< top post fixed >

> Slice wrote:
>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo
>> in EQ2?

> I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,

I would have to agree.

> Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either.

I would agree with that as well, though IMO, that also makes them less
meaningful. Anyone can easily become master of some tradeskill while
levelling up adventuring. It really requires little effort outside the
course of typical gameplay.

> EQ servers are much more stable and patches only occasinally totally
> screw up the servers. "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"

I'd agree with that. Lengthy login queues are also a wicked black eye that
Blizzard is going to be some time in getting over.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

Graeme Faelban wrote:
> Not at all, ALL classes can solo quite well in EQ2. At level 28 I
still
> solo orange mobs. When I take on group encounters, those need to be
> green or grey, but for solo mobs, orange is not really a problem.
Some
> classes do solo better than others certainly.

All classes can solo, some just have a lot harder time of it than
others. Scouts have a lot harder time than tanks, which have a lot
harder time than healers. Not sure where mages fit in, but I believe
they are pretty easy to solo with also. Scouts have a tough time of it
- and watching one struggle with a green/blue con next to a priest
taking out a yellow/orange con without breaking a sweat is
disheartening.

Kyle Monson wrote:
> I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
> Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are much
> more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the servers.
> "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"
>
> Slice wrote:
>
>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo in
>> EQ2?

It very much depends on the char you choose, I play a druid and solo is
almost impossible when in the high teens , even with blue mob
Much more fun as group
Choose Fighter Class if you want to solo

Pottle <neukuk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:5QF_d.88197$Bk7.19756
@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> Kyle Monson wrote:
>> I am playing both at the moment and soloign is MUCH easier in WoW,
>> Tradeskills aren't nearly as time consuming either. EQ servers are
much
>> more stable and patches only occasinally totally screw up the servers.
>> "Just my opinion, I may be wrong"
>>
>> Slice wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently playing WOW, and having risen to higher levels am
>>> sorely missing content. That being said, I primarily solo as I am
>>> something of a casual player. I tried EQ2 "Trial of the Isles" and
>>> enjoyed it. Before I take the plunge though, is it feasible to solo
in
>>> EQ2?
>>>
> It very much depends on the char you choose, I play a druid and solo is
> almost impossible when in the high teens , even with blue mob
> Much more fun as group
> Choose Fighter Class if you want to solo

Not at all, ALL classes can solo quite well in EQ2. At level 28 I still
solo orange mobs. When I take on group encounters, those need to be
green or grey, but for solo mobs, orange is not really a problem. Some
classes do solo better than others certainly.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage