Fax / Voice

I just started using a computer for sending and receiving faxes. Is there a
software/hardware solution that will make the computer answer only if it is
a fax coming in. I know stand alone fax machines can do this, but I like
getting my faxes on my computer so I can email them out or refax them
without wasting paper/toner.

I have a Compaq Presario 5838 with the factory installed fax/modem running
Win XP Pro.

I know this has been asked before, and I know that WinXP can't do it
natively, but is there 3rd party software that can make this work?
TIA
Parley

--
Southern California Realtor®

Distinctive Ring is not supported by Windows XP. Therefore, Windows XP Fax
will answer every incoming call it receives. The alternative is to install
an external switching device to your phone line. You can find some here:

http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
Emerson Switchboard
http://www.command-comm.com/products.html

ComSwitch®

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just started using a computer for sending and receiving faxes. Is there
> software/hardware solution that will make the computer answer only if it
is
> a fax coming in. I know stand alone fax machines can do this, but I like
> getting my faxes on my computer so I can email them out or refax them
> without wasting paper/toner.
>
> I have a Compaq Presario 5838 with the factory installed fax/modem running
> Win XP Pro.
>
> I know this has been asked before, and I know that WinXP can't do it
> natively, but is there 3rd party software that can make this work?
> TIA
> Parley
>
> --
> Southern California Realtor®

You can have the computer answer the phone and take a voice message or
receive a fax. But you'll need a TAPI compliant voice modem and 3rd party
software. See http://www.modemtools.com/phone-works.htm for one example