DOS Printing to Local Printer in XP

I have an XP workstation and need to print from DOS to LPT1:.

I type

net use lpt1: \\server\queue

and then type dir > lpt1: - Prints OK.

However, they then want to print to a local printer, so I install the
driver and share, and then type

net use lpt1: \\localpc\queue

and then type dir > lpt1: - Nothing ever prints, and the print job
keeps respooling itself.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Many thanks,

Chris.
2 answers Last reply
More about printing local printer

    See http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm - case 1.

    The symptom you describe is "thats the way it works" when you redirect the
    parallel port to a printer connected to the same parallel port.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    "Chris Plant" <chris.plant@infor.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have an XP workstation and need to print from DOS to LPT1:.
    >
    > I type
    >
    > net use lpt1: \\server\queue
    >
    > and then type dir > lpt1: - Prints OK.
    >
    > However, they then want to print to a local printer, so I install the
    > driver and share, and then type
    >
    > net use lpt1: \\localpc\queue
    >
    > and then type dir > lpt1: - Nothing ever prints, and the print job
    > keeps respooling itself.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to fix this?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Chris.

    Dear Mr. Chris Plant,

    > I have an XP workstation and need to print from DOS to LPT1:.
    > However, they then want to print to a local printer, so I install the
    > driver and share, and then type

    Have a look at Printfil. It allows redirection from an LPT port to ANY
    Windows printer by a DOS app., even if in that port a printer is phisically
    connected (for example an all-in-one Windows-only printer)

    More info and a free trial is available for download at our web site.

    Kind regards
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

Windows XP LPT1 Printers