DOS Printing to Local Printer in XP

July 22, 2004 6:19:06 AM

I have an XP workstation and need to print from DOS to LPT1:.

I type

net use lpt1: \\server\queue

and then type dir > lpt1: - Prints OK.

However, they then want to print to a local printer, so I install the
driver and share, and then type

net use lpt1: \\localpc\queue

and then type dir > lpt1: - Nothing ever prints, and the print job
keeps respooling itself.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Many thanks,

Chris.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 4:57:06 PM

See http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm - case 1.

The symptom you describe is "thats the way it works" when you redirect the
parallel port to a printer connected to the same parallel port.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

"Chris Plant" <chris.plant@infor.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have an XP workstation and need to print from DOS to LPT1:.
>
> I type
>
> net use lpt1: \\server\queue
>
> and then type dir > lpt1: - Prints OK.
>
> However, they then want to print to a local printer, so I install the
> driver and share, and then type
>
> net use lpt1: \\localpc\queue
>
> and then type dir > lpt1: - Nothing ever prints, and the print job
> keeps respooling itself.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 11:21:34 PM

Dear Mr. Chris Plant,

> I have an XP workstation and need to print from DOS to LPT1:.
> However, they then want to print to a local printer, so I install the
> driver and share, and then type

Have a look at Printfil. It allows redirection from an LPT port to ANY
Windows printer by a DOS app., even if in that port a printer is phisically
connected (for example an all-in-one Windows-only printer)

More info and a free trial is available for download at our web site.

Kind regards
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all