Max Payne 3 feedback?

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
For all those who have given it a shot, please leave your feedback so that those who are yet to play/ buy it can have an idea. Tell us how your experience has been so far. Also, list out your system specs so that we know how the game is handling on different rigs/ settings.

Perhaps this could help in having a consolidated thread in anticipation of future queries.

Solution
Ok guys I got my hands on the game, It's very fantastic the shooting mechanism is so great and so the bullet time and dodging.

Unfortunately the game is very demanding, anyone with GTX 560ti/570 or HD 6950/70 will be able to max out the game and get playable FPS, I get from 37-42 and sometimes it falls to 29-30 but it's fast and very playable.

Enabling 8x MSAA won't make you move your mouse, and consumes about 600MB of VRAM. For those who have 1 GB of VRAM you won't be able to choose 4x MSAA, you'll end up with 2x and your frame rate will be around 50 FPS.
Here's screenshots, the game really looks awesome.

I don't think it is. Played 3 hours and maxed out it uses 1.6GB of my HD7970s VRAM and I didn't have any FPS issues with VSYNC on (it was always smooth).

I do however have a OCed HD7970 so that may help too.

BTW:

33FBEF076DA433D8FD0B20EC58F3EF421140FB9C

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jimmysmitty/screenshots/

Thats everything maxed out at 1600x900. Wish I had a bigger monitor but meh. Still the bullet time is AMAZING!!

foshi13

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
It runs incredibly smooth, no lag at all and almost constant 60fps on my 560 Ti and i5 2500k. Neither are overclocked. Only dips into the 50's when things get really intense on screen. I'm having a great time playing it too. The shooting mechanics are amazing and it's never boring.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I read up somewhere (think it was Metacritic) that there is a 'flywheel' mechanism for the weapons. Is that correct? Because such a mechanism is usually used for console titles. I just hope its not a bad port job!!

sniper2606:
Did you manage to find a fix for the issue?

I forgot to say, most of the play @ 2560x. I'm surprised that you have this GPU power and running a single monitor @ 1600x.
Some reported that FPS drops to 50 in some locations with a single HD 7970 @ 1080P.
Also some had a graphics message says that they can't enable 8x MSAA due to lack of VRAM.

Settings very high? FXAA or 4x MSSA? Are you playing @ 1080P?

foshi13

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Everything is at max and it is 1080p on a 40" screen. I just kept the default FXAA at very high.

The guns all have many moving parts, and look very realistic. The bullets are rendered in real time (every single one you shoot) which makes it very crazy.

And no, its not a port job. The console version is like 16GB, this is 35GB and has many DX11 features available. I also compared the graphics to some MLG (Major League Gaming, 360 and PS3) videos released and it looks 10xs better.

Well when using MSAA you are basically doing the same fram 8 times for the best smoothness to the lines but that seems a tad strange that 3GB of VRAM is not enough when 1600x900, not too far off, is only using 1.6GB of VRAM.

Maybe I will have to borrow a 1080P monitor from work and see or possibly hook my TV up to my PC and see what it gives me.

I know that technologies such as AA, MSAA, AF, FXAA, QSCAA.. those really feed on the VRAM for rendering the textures and eliminating jaggy edges, And Also I'm not saying that 2 GB or 3GB is not enough but it might be a pain for those who are running cards with 1 GB of VRAM, they are already complaining from a several stutters with HD 5800 cards.

Actually a single HD 7970 is an overkill for such a resolution, maybe you want to upgrade to a 1400P monitor :D

babarv2

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Great Game.... Playing on ultra with dX11 with 4msxaa with 55-60 fps..! i didnt expecct this Its using only 1278 vram so that means i can max it out with my AMD 7850 HD
this game is brilliantly optimized Guys go for it!

sniper2606

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Not sure how you guys got the game working if bought from steam...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1439

as you can see hundreds of people including my self cannot play the game.

R* acknowledge the issue and is working on a patch, somebody manage to fix the game with a crack which i did and playing now but cant play online.

On the feedback side the game runs smooth everything maxed out biggest FPS drop was 49.

i5 2500k OC 4.5 with GTX 580

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
thats awesome, actually i am wondering hows it gonna be on my rig
AMD phenom II x4 955 OCed 3.6GHz 4GBramz GTX470...

that could be a problem for me cuz of the 1.2GB of Vram :S

HardOCP did a review preview and said that if you have issues you can turn off HDAO and use SSAO to get a bit better performance.

They also said that the FXAA does a very good job and is even about as good as 8x MSAA but they didn't get into full detail about if it lowered image quality as FXAA tends to blur the image in post processing while MSAA works on the pixel level.

I am sure they will have a full review and teardown up with more than just GTX680s and HD7970s in a few days.

But you should be fine. Probably not be able to max everything out due to less VRAM but should be able to do higher settings and enjoy it.

Honestly? I did nothing to get it to work. It was downloading Thursday night, then at about 75% it started decrypting. Once that finished it finished downloading the last 9GB of data. Just for laughs, I ran a cache verification on it and went to bed.

The next morning I launched it, it did the DX/C++ crap and launched with no issues.