Print & Fax Viewer picture properties missing

Tags:
  • Fax
  • Photo
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 22, 2004 1:26:02 PM

I had manually entered text values in the Author, Title and Comments fields of 3,000 pictures using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer properties. All the entries are missing now. Yikes! Can they be restored?

I operate Office 2003 (with XP Office 2002 prior to). The cause of this problem occurred after my attempts to remove Microsoft Photo Editor. (I did not want Excel jpg photo hyperlinks to launch Photo Editor) I found photoed.exe at Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Photoed.

With no uninstall option in Add Remove Programs, I assumed Photo Editor was installed with XP Office 2002, so I ran that install CD and made all programs unavailable. No luck.

Next I disable Photoed by adding a .bu to the application file name photoed.exe. To test this I launched a jpg picture hyperlink in Excel and observed MS FrontPage 2002 reinstalling the photoed exe file. Next I uninstalled FrontPage 2002. Photo Editor was now uninstalled and Excel hyperlinks launched Windows Print and Fax Viewer as I desired, but with the lost file properties.

I observed in Windows Explorer that jpg files did still have the Windows Print and Fax Viewer association as before, but oddly now with a different icon image. In Folder Options - File Types the file registration for jpg extensions is missing.

Will re-registering jpg files in Folder Options - File Types restore the picture properties?

A thanks in advance to folks taking time to read about my problem and sorry it is such a long message.

Steve

More about : print fax viewer picture properties missing

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:43:09 AM

Steve Vidito writing: The properties have appeared and dissapeared over the last few days since I posted the original problem. Disregard the original post, as I am posting a new thread about the issue.

!