overclocking the Athlon

Yode

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2001
Hi everyone,
This is my first time trying to overclock a CPU and I am getting pretty confused.
My system specs are:
CPU - 1.2 Ghz AMD athlon
Motherboard - Epox 8KTA2
mem - 256 mb PC133
Hard Drive - 30 gb ata 100 WD
Soundblaster Live! Value
Geforce 2 gts 64 mb

First of all, is it possible to overclock with this hardware? I was going to build the toms hardware home grown water cooler to help with cooling. I wanted to try and overclock to 1.4ghz. I was going to Adjust the core voltage to 1.85 V, Adjust the CPU clock multiplierto x12.5
and Adjust the CPU bus clock in small increments (is this right?). (taken from toms hardware guide), but what do I exactly need to do to the processor?
Thanks a lot - (sorry total newbie)

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Okay,

Yes you can overclock your system a little as you have described.

Your board is based on the KT133 chipset and that means it is a little limited to the FSB (system) clock it will support. Later revisions did better. You may or may not get this board up to 110 or 115Mhz, but many get very little over 100Mhz FSB with this chipset.

Since you already have a 1.2G processor then you multiplier is already very high. If your chip were unlocked already (possible if it is a newer AXIA revision/release core or better (you can only tell this by looking at the chip) then you can freely adjust the multiplier.

The best you can really hope for from this system may be 110FSB and 12.5 multiplier giving you around 1375Mhz, amybe more, maybe less.

To adjust your multiplier you'll need to pencil over the L1 bridges very carefully (not to cross them) using an engineering pencil or similar. This unlocks the multiplier on your cpu.

If you work back in the THG there is an article on closing Athlon bridges.

You may need to increase the vcore a little, but try without to start.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details