water cooling

G

I have a small mini-fridge at my disposal and was wondering
if I could somehow mount my motherboard in it, without damaging the components. My other idea was to use the fridge to cool the water from the homebrewed water cooler.

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
I have a minifridge too, and a couple weeks ago I was looking for examples of refrigerator mods on the net. Surprisingly I found zero, although I always hear about these kinds of mods at LAN parties and whatnot...

I think it's possible, but you just would have to have some way to actively dehumidify the air in the fridge, otherwise everything would get soaked by condensation and then destroyed.

If you were using the refrigerator to cool the water for a regular water cooler setup, that would probably be a little easier to deal with. You would have to take the same precautions as with a peltier setup (like greasing the pins, applying silicone to the parts of the board that get cold, foam insulation around waterblock and processor), but you would have the advantage of not having to worry about peltier failure. I would suggest however, having the heat exchanger in the loop after leaving the waterblock and before entering the reservoir in the fridge for best cooling performance.

As to the watercooling system in the "home brewed water cooling" article, I would suggest something other than senfu.

G

I was just thinking about the proper cooling methods, and condensation problems and all with this refridgeration you're all talking about. What if there were a way to distribute ICE cold water throughout the tubes, but without having to hook up to a constant supply of water? What I'm suggesting is (theoretical of course) a device that might pump the water and determine that if the water starts to warm up, it flushes the warm water, and refills and distributes the cold water. Wouldn't this be a better refridgeration method. However, I can't think of a device you could use to do this, and If it did exist, I wouldn't know the cost.

G

I seen pix of a PC mounted in a bar fridge befor it looked pretty cool. It was at www.virtual-hideout.com but unfortunatly the site has been down for over a month now don't know what happened! They use to have a massive gallery of case mods, the biggest I had ever seen.

Mama always said "There's no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer"

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Thermostatic controls are very common. They could easily divert valves as necessary according to water temp.

But your suggestion is a little confusing. What, you mean as in like a given loop of ice water that is not actively cooled? Use it until it heats up too much and THEN replace it? Dude, you don't appreciate how much heat those procs are giving off. You need an ACTIVE source of cooling. A better solution would be to pump the constant volume of water throughout the sytem and then through a large bucket filled with ice - of course people do that all the time.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>