Print Migrate Tool Errors Out

I have installed a Xerox 8400dp printer. The printer driver is PostScript. The printer works fine on system. When I back up the printers setting using the Print Migrator tool, it appears to work fine. Upon using the tool to restore however it errors out with the following:

2004:07:22 11:55:46 Driver "Xerox Phaser 8400DP PS": the file xrx8400.cab is missing from the CAB
2004:07:22 11:55:54 Bad version 3 driver: Xerox Phaser 8400DP PS
2004:07:22 11:55:54 winerror.h - 2

After the restore is complete the printer does not show up in the list of printers.

Prior to backing up, I look under the Drivers Folder and the xrx8400.cab file is there. Apparently from the Print Migrate tool log, it is in the "dependent driver list as shown below.

Dependent files
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\xrx8400.cab

However, when i look at the log where it supposed to be including files in the .cab file, I do not see the file being included.

When the print Migrator tool backs up to the .cab file I suppose that files with .cab can not be included within another .cab file? is this the issue?....

I don't think this file is required since during the installation thereof, because it extracts the contents of this xrx8400.cab file into another folder. If so how do I remove the dependency string from the registry so I won't get the error when restoring.
1 answer Last reply
More about print migrate tool errors

    Yes PrintMig ignores cab file extensions. You can manually add this file to
    the cab.

    The reg value is probably under
    HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT
    x86\drivers\Version-3\Xerox Phaser 8400DP PS\Dependent Files
    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Tim_S" <TimS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have installed a Xerox 8400dp printer. The printer driver is
    PostScript. The printer works fine on system. When I back up the printers
    setting using the Print Migrator tool, it appears to work fine. Upon using
    the tool to restore however it errors out with the following:

    > 2004:07:22 11:55:46 Driver "Xerox Phaser 8400DP PS": the file
    xrx8400.cab is missing from the CAB
    > 2004:07:22 11:55:54 Bad version 3 driver: Xerox Phaser 8400DP PS
    > 2004:07:22 11:55:54 winerror.h - 2
    >
    > After the restore is complete the printer does not show up in the list of
    printers.

    > Prior to backing up, I look under the Drivers Folder and the xrx8400.cab
    file is there. Apparently from the Print Migrate tool log, it is in the
    "dependent driver list as shown below.

    > Dependent files
    > C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\xrx8400.cab
    >
    > However, when i look at the log where it supposed to be including files in
    the .cab file, I do not see the file being included.

    > When the print Migrator tool backs up to the .cab file I suppose that
    files with .cab can not be included within another .cab file? is this the
    issue?....

    > I don't think this file is required since during the installation thereof,
    because it extracts the contents of this xrx8400.cab file into another
    folder. If so how do I remove the dependency string from the registry so I
    won't get the error when restoring.

Xerox Printers Windows XP