Water Cooling the CPU and Video Card

G

How would one go about setting up a water cooleing system that would cool the CPU and the video card. A really bad example that was in the Koolance review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010706/images/grafik.jpg
In that example, the heated H20 seems like it heads straight for the video card. Perhaps this is one of the many reasons for their system instability. Anyway, how could one go about cooling both? Is it possible to use a y-adapter to split the output from the pump so that h20 is pumped to both locations? Would this get around the problem that hot water would leave the cpu and head for the GPU?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think it would be tough to retain balanced flow through both cpu and video card using a Y splitter on the water line. Not impossible but you would likely require control valves and such to do it.

There is also a finite cap here - there is a fixed amount of water flow, by splitting the water - you halve the water fow rate. I think I'd look at re-enforcing the joints and doubling the pumping rate so the water from the cpu is less hot.

Look at this to. The block on the video card must have been crap. The cpu is at 45 degrees. The water leaving the cpu must not have been greatly higher than that and yet the video card was over 60. The radiator is not great - but still manages to keep the cpu cool enough. I suspect the thermal interface or block for the video card was crap.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

OK, here’s the list of what I’ve been working out. BTW, this will be on a socket 370 board (yes, I still use a Pentium). In the future, I’ll upgrade to AMD, but not now.

Pump:
1) Eheim 1250 - 317 GHP (dangerden)
2) Eheim 1060 - 600 GPH (dangerden)
3)Quiet One water pump – 1140 GPH (overclock-watercool)
WaterBlock:
1) Maze1 - All copper - 2"x2"x5/8 – (dangerden)
2) PolyBlock (Silver Base)– 2”x2”x1/8(base) – (overclock-watercool)
Radiator:
1) Big Mama 6x7x2
Fan:
1) ???? I need help here. I want quiet, but need something big enough for the Big Mama. Will a 120mm Sunon handle this?
Tubing:
1) I was planning on using ½” if possible. It’ll ensure faster water flow.

Actually, I was thinking of sending 3/8” connections to the video card and motherboard chipset. This is not gonna be a loop, it’ll be split near the reservoir and then all can feed back into the same return hose.

Also, what's the best way to mount these things to a socket 370 board?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Word of warning about dangerden.com... I ordered a maze waterblock from there over a month ago- still not arrived, it was over a week after my card got billed that they even bothered to mail me saying it had been sent, may be quicker if you live over there (uk here), but I've ordered stuff from usa before and its NEVER taken this long. Also, most aquarium type shops do enheims. I looked at the 1/2" too, but was advised that 3/8" was plenty so thats what I ordered.- details of mine will be going <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">HERE</A> click the project button, not much there as yet because I've not recieved the stuff but will be putting a lot of pix on there

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
sorry to hear about your experiance with dangerden
just to even the score i ordered a maze2 block from them about 4 weeks ago & it arrived three days later (yes i'm in the uk )
pretty good service i thought!!!