Sign in with
Your question

Clicked a bad link

Last response: in Windows 7
October 16, 2010 5:15:51 AM

Hello. I just clicked a bad link on a forum from a popular online game to the site. The site it led me to was some kinda pr0n thing. I didn't click anything on the site and immediatly left. I downloaded spybot, avg and malware bytes. spybot has finished running and found nothing, im running the other 2 now.

If they come back clean do you think I managed to get away safe? I checked the site on google and it comes up as containing a link to a trojan or something.

I'll link the site incase anyone who is a wiz with security can get some information from it safely. The site is: archicc.cn - Don't go there if you don't know what you are doing!

Any help greatly appreciated

More about : clicked bad link

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2010 5:57:56 AM

Tap F8 repeatedly on startup. Boot into safe mode with networking. Update and run malwarebytes and superantispyware. If you have an infection, they should find it.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
m
l
October 16, 2010 6:43:02 AM

Hi. I ran AVG / Malware Bytes and Spybot. Not in safe mode though... Would they of missed anything because of that?

All came back clean.
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2010 7:10:26 AM

It's possible. If an infection is already present, the first thing they will usually do, is suppress the malware scanners. In safe mode with networking, there are less programs and services running, and less chance the malware will be active. That's why scanners are more effective in safe mode with networking.

By the way, AVG isn't the greatest at detecting malware. It's a bit of a resource hog, and misses too many infections. Run through the malware guide in my signature, and you'll be in good shape.
m
l
October 16, 2010 8:06:07 AM

Malwarebytes found nothing in safe mode.

Superantispyware found 19 tracking cookies which I removed.

I guess it's safe to assume I didn't get any infection by going to that site? As I say I litearlly closed the window as soon as it loaded without clicking anything.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2010 9:32:20 AM

As long as they took care of the threats they found, you're fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2010 7:07:52 PM

Quote:
Hello. I just clicked a bad link on a forum from a popular online game to the site. The site it led me to was some kinda pr0n thing.

Assuming your system dosen't have a virus,etc:

1. The link on the site was actually poisoned.

2. Your DNS server was hacked. Try the Google DNS servers. IP is 8.8.8.8
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
My ISPs DNS server was hacked a few years ago that re-directed Google's website. It was fixed quickly, but I have since switched to openDNS/Google DNS.

3. Download AdBlock Plus. That should stop pretty much any ad from appearing.
m
l
October 16, 2010 8:09:28 PM

Hi, all scans came back clean. When I googled the domain name it said that it contains malware but not browers/os exploits, which leads me to believe I'd actually have to click something to download the malware?

I ran malwarebytes + superantispyware in safe mode.

Also ran spybot/avg/malware bytes (not in safe mode). Only superantispyware found anything, 19 tracking cookies - nothing serious.

I have noticed nothing abnormal I was just being cautious.

How would I know if my DNS was hacked? Also, what do you mean by the link on the site was poisoned? Thanks

EDIT: I just realized my message was a bit misleading. What I mean is I clicked a link that was disguised as "HERE" and led me to the site I mentioned in the original post, it was not a link to the site for the game, it was just part of a forum post about some movie and then watch it "HERE". Clicking "HERE" sent me to the dangerous site.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2010 8:17:15 PM

Quote:
EDIT: I just realized my message was a bit misleading. What I mean is I clicked a link that was disguised as "HERE" and led me to the site I mentioned in the original post, it was not a link to the site for the game, it was just part of a forum post about some movie and then watch it "HERE". Clicking "HERE" sent me to the dangerous site.

So it looks like some one actually disguised that link. I don't think your system was infected.

As far as the link being poisoned, what I meant was some one hacked the site and set links to redirect.
m
l
October 16, 2010 9:03:32 PM

Thanks for your help. Unless you think there's any other scans I should run I will assume I'm safe.

Will be alot more careful what I click in future! Thanks again.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2010 12:03:54 AM

Sounds like your system is clean. You should be fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2010 2:48:38 AM

jestjest said:
Thanks for your help. Unless you think there's any other scans I should run I will assume I'm safe.

Will be alot more careful what I click in future! Thanks again.

Tip: When you hover over a link, the bottom of your browser, you should see where the actual link will lead to. This works most of the time. If you are suspicious always check this.

m
l
!