Question about global win fop 3x

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi. I've just seen a shop which had two global win fans. On the outside of the paper box one is written:
1- global win fop 38 (6xxx rpm). It's for 20$
2- global win fop 32 (not sure if there's a -1 or not, and the box says the fan speed is 4000 something) for about 17$

Which one should I use for overclocking a 1.2 to 1.4? (I don't know the batch code of the cpu yet)
Why is the fop38 recommended by amd for athlon 1 gig only? Is the thermal pad that bad? Can I take the hsf off after the pad melts on the cpu?
Your replies/flames are most welcome.

Sh!t Happens.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Go for the FOP-38, although they'll be pretty close. The fan is what'll make the difference, mostly.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks. I read some reviews (I couldn't find one on tomshardware). They say the fop38 is LOUD. I'm going to have to go there and make them connect it, then I'll spend a couple of minutes beside it to see if I can hear anything afterwards or not.
Thanks for replying tho.

Sh!t Happens.

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's loud. Not unbearable, but loud enough to keep you awake at night. You can easily drown it out if you have something going through the speakers.

It's about 45dBA, if that helps any.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't have a reference so I don't know how loud 45dB is. I'm going to have to go there, make everyone shut up and listen carefully, I guess...

Sh!t Happens.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Trust me, you won't have to listen carefully. It's about the same as a hair dryer.
The case dampens the sound a little, but not much.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
a hair dryer??? And I thought the fridge made too much sound.
I guess I'll stick to a smaller fan then.

Sh!t Happens.

G

ill have to disagree with the "loud as a hairdryer" statement. ive got the fop32 with the 6500fan off the fop38 (fop38 hs was too big :( )

yes it definately is loud, but if u play mp3 and normal volume u cant hear the fan anymore. as for performance, ive got my cele 600 @ 800 and its averaging around 40 degree celcius. im not too sure how cool it would keep an athlon, but i think both fops are recommened by amd upto 1.4ghz

may as well go for the higher rpm fan seeming it will blow more air

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
The two heatsinks are the same. Only the fans differ. Depends on what your budget is. If you can afford more, you can find a better HSF than the two.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Personally between the two, in terms of performance, price, and noise level...I'd go for the fop 32-1.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks. These seem like a reputable HSF. I don't know where I read it's only recommended for 1 gig. I just have to try them both then.
Thanks everyone.

Sh!t Happens.

mawfia

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
Well each persons perception of sounds is always slightly different however the average person percieves sounds such as this
(numbers in decibels)

0 Acute threshold of hearing
15 Average threshold of hearing
20 Soft whisper
30 Leaves rustling
65 Normal conversation
70 Inside an automobile at 60 m.p.h.
80 Heavy traffic
90 Recommended level for 8 hour exposure
100 Tractor under load, motor cycle, snowmobile
120 Jack hammer, amplified rock music

Think about when youve heard a blow dryer and how loud you had to talk to someone who was using a blow dryer or the fact that a blow dryer is so loud that usually the person using it has to turn it off just to have a normal conversation (65). So the dBa of that fan particular fan would have to be higher than 65+ (not very likely).

You best bet is to just go to a store that sells them get a personal account then make a decision from that...however, THE BOTTOM LINE is if you want the best cooling your probably going to have to sacrifice your tranquil enviornment for the sake of your hsf in action.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Or go to water-cooling/peltier. But that's more effort than most people want to do.

I said a small hair dryer. The delta fan is 46.4 dBA. Remember there are two different sound ratings, A and C. A is the commonly used one. C can be used if you ever want to give false readings, it works well :)

Also, every 10 decibels is twice as loud. There may be 20 decibels between a motocycle and a jackhammer, but it's four times as loud. That's why there's only 10 between inside a car and heavy traffic.

-------
If buttpluginside gets banned, I'll be so happy I'll even go buy an Intel.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>I have a winfop32 - I chose it based on toms test at <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010521/cooler-29.html" target="_new">http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010521/cooler-29.html</A>- it seemed like it did really well.

Now, I have massive case cooling that drown it out so its noise level was not a big factor in its purchase. However, I do see very good performance out of it (1.2AXIA- 1.533). So I figure the hs is pretty damn good. Fan in that case is not doing much. I have it for when the side of my case is off - I don't fry the proc.

When all of the case fans are off, it's really not that loud either.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
is your axia a 9 stepping or a y stepping?
:redface: <font color=blue>How can I tell?

Truth be known, my comp was hit by lightening and I am waiting on replacement parts. It took 2 weeks to get RMA for my motherboard. (I had to replace mobo, RAM, Proc, & ps, geez it sucked). I should have it together this weekend. Soooo, I happen to have all my parts out and am looking at the proc now. Line after AXIA 0113CPCW has 95446540265 - does this mean its a 9? errrr what?

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I love you man. I have a thread on cpu's. I wanted to know how much I can hit with my 1.2 axia 9 stepping. It appears mine was made a week after yours. They are both 9 stepping. What was the core voltage?

Sh!t Happens.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>cool, I gues that makes us proc brothers, err something. Well I had the voltage at the max my board would allow - 1.85V (ABIT KT7A-RAID). I had bumped the I/O too, but I can't remeber how much - not much I think. I was running the bird at 10.5/146 FSB. I love the Soft Menu III that allows me to do that without oc the whole PCI bus.

The key here is cooling though. I have 2 Sunon 120mmx38mm aimed at the mobo (thats over 200 cfm) and then I have a 92mm under my 400w Powmax that came with 2 80's. I reversed the one aiming in so it exhausts with both of the stock fans. I have one 80mm behind the proc at the back of the case, two 80's down front and low, another and 4 80mm sucking out air at the top. The key is getting cold air to the proc and then awya from it.

Case temp is generally 21.6ºC. My proc temp not oc at idle is, get this, 22.8ºC. No sh!t. So anyhoo, temperature is never a problem. Stability is the limiting factor. I only had the 1.2 running for 6 days before it was hit (damnit!) so I can't remember final temp exactly, but it was stable. Before the 1.2 I had been running a 750 Duron at 1.1 for months, hehe. That's 47% oc. If I could do that with the 1.2 it would be 1.76 OMG. Well - give me some more time with that damn proc when I get my system running again and we'll see.