telephone/fax connections

Babs

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

We are new to WindowsXP Home Edition. Before, I have been able to set up the fax (we have an Officejet G85 printer/fax/scanner/copier) , put it on auto answer and not worry about it (we would receive faxes and telephone messages). Now, when the fax is on auto answer and a call comes in on the phone line, the other side gets the fax tone first instead of the answering machine first and is unable to leave a message. When the auto answer is off and a call comes in on the phone line, they get the answering machine (are able to leave messages) and you have to manually press fax to accept after tone. How do I get this back to the way it was??

Windows XP does not support Distinctive Ring:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
Distinctive Ring Is Not Supported by Windows 2000 Fax

Some third party hardware devices can provide a work-around:

http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
Emerson Switchboard
http://www.command-comm.com/products.html
ComSwitch®

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Babs" <Babs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are new to WindowsXP Home Edition. Before, I have been able to set up
the fax (we have an Officejet G85 printer/fax/scanner/copier) , put it on
auto answer and not worry about it (we would receive faxes and telephone
messages). Now, when the fax is on auto answer and a call comes in on the
phone line, the other side gets the fax tone first instead of the answering
machine first and is unable to leave a message. When the auto answer is off
and a call comes in on the phone line, they get the answering machine (are
able to leave messages) and you have to manually press fax to accept after
tone. How do I get this back to the way it was??

You are asking about third party software. Your question should be directed
to the manufacturer.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]