Unable to receive fax

julian

Greetings,
I'm using Windows XP professional, have just installed the Fax service and have successfully sent a fax but am unable to receive any. It doesn't matter whether FAX is configured to answer automatically or manually. The call appears to get answered but nothing is received and finally an error "An error occurred while receiving the Fax" is displayed.
The fax service is installed and running.
THanks in advance for any help,
regards,
julian

Russ says it best:

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Fatal Reception
error." There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the
problem might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> I'm using Windows XP professional, have just installed the Fax service and
have successfully sent a fax but am unable to receive any. It doesn't matter
whether FAX is configured to answer automatically or manually. The call
appears to get answered but nothing is received and finally an error "An
error occurred while receiving the Fax" is displayed.
> The fax service is installed and running.
> THanks in advance for any help,
> regards,
> julian

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> I'm using Windows XP professional, have just installed the Fax service and
have successfully sent a fax but am unable to receive any. It doesn't matter
whether FAX is configured to answer automatically or manually. The call
appears to get answered but nothing is received and finally an error "An
error occurred while receiving the Fax" is displayed.
> The fax service is installed and running.
> THanks in advance for any help,
> regards,
> julian

TRENDING THREADS