lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
According to this article:
<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/articles362/" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com/articles362/</A>
the V2 does not deliver their reported 36 CFM airflow, but, rather, 26 CFM! WTF is up with that? True or not? Maybe that's why with my V2 on my 1.2 266 T-bird my idle temps are in the 54-56C range? I don't understand that, though, since many others here achieve much better performance. Unless, of course, others here are using Arctic Silver thermal compound and/or a Delta 38 fan on the Volcano II. Furthermore, when I lapped the heatsink, I noticed that all four edges were affected before the center, which means a <i>concave</i> heatsink? Thoughts, please!

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most people note that the fan is overated, but the heatsink still performs well in most systems. You can make your VolcanoII much more efficient by using a better fan. Evercool fans are avialable from nexfan.com for $6, and these REALLY DO flow 32CFM. Or you can use a Delta.

As for me, I'm perfectly happy with the stock fan on my VolcanoII, but I do own a couple Evercool 32cfm fans that I bought as spares.

BTW, I simply buffed mine and used paste, I did not lap it.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Actually, I did take your advice and order one of the Evercool fans from nexfan. I did try your buffing technique, but did not see better results. That's why I tried lapping, but still without better results. I must conclude at this point that my problems are of "operator error" type. Why, I don't know, as I <i>very carefully</i> followed the Arctic Silver's website guide for applying thermal paste (I'm using a generic Radio Shack brand), and AMD's guide for seating a hsf. Others seem to be getting better results with the V2, so apparently, I'm doing something wrong. I just don't know what. I read in another thread that AMD recommends running the cpu under 65C for best results. I think I'll turn off MBM5 now, and stop fretting over this :mad:

G

Hi! Temperatures in my PC are:
room=22C
mobo=24C
CPU=32..48C (Idle..full load)
Thermaltake Volcano II

I polished the heatsink's surface and used thermal paste instead of Thermagon905C (yellow thermal interface).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by POKOT on 07/10/01 03:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I believe most V2 users are using Delta fans at 38cfm, but a turbine like 46db. Any heatsink with this fan will cool nicely.

You also made no mention of your case situation. What kind of case cooling do you have. What are your case temperatures. What is your ambient temp? It's all relative. Your heatsink can only keep your CPU cool with cool air. If your case does not have cool air, then your heatsink is not being cooled.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
My case temps run between 28(side off)-30(side on)C. The ambient temp in my room is around 78F (based on what I set my thermostat at for a/c). I do understand that case cooling is important, but isn't a two or three degree difference in the case between having the side on or off pretty darn close? Even at 30C, shouldn't the hsf be able to deliver about 50C (20C above case temp)?
Forgive my naivete on this heat issue. I've always used Intel systems before (prebuilt) and never thought about heat or monitoring my system. The first I heard about monitoring programs was here at THG when I was deciding whether or not to try an AMD system. Frankly, at the temps I'm running at now, I haven't had any crashes or lockups (er, I guess I've had <i>one</i>). The highest temp I've heard mentioned here as acceptable is 60C, and I only hit that when playing games. So, I know I'm running warmer than most, but I think I'm within acceptable range. Right now I've got the standard 80mm intake fan, 60mm exaust fan, and psu with bottom vent. <b>Shouldn't that be adequate</b>? Do I now have to think about modding my case? Sheesh, I'm getting damn frustrated!

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lamer_gamer on 07/10/01 12:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
It depends on what kind of circulation is in your case. If you fan is pulling warm air into your heatsink, then it won't cool as good. I made a good jump by switching my intakes to the rear, and exhaust in the front.

But those are the kind of temps I would expect from a fan with less than 30cfm and about what 4500rpm. Those temps are within spec.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Then again you may be the unlucky recepient of a bad heatsink. How much thermal compound did you put on the die? Only a very thin layer is needed, and if you put too much on, that could cause higher temps. Delta actually makes a 30cfm fan at 38db. And thermaltake has come out with a 31cfm fan at 28 friggin db. I'm planning on picking that fan up to see how much of a performance degrade I get.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Hey Funkdog, thanks for the replies. Like I stated before, I'm new to monitoring temps and such, so forgive my newby-ness! I've ordered an Evercool 32cfm 60mm fan, and a Delta and I'll see how both perform. My intake fan is a "standard" 80mm fan, and my exhaust is a "standard" 60mm, both running what I'm sure is <30cfm. My exhaust sits just behind and above my cpu hsf. A friend of mine has a high performance 80mm that he'll give me, so I'll try that out in my intake (my exhaust will only accept a 60mm fan). As for how much thermal paste I used, when spread out on the cpu die, I could <i>almost</i> read the lettering on the die. So, again, Funkdog, thanks for the help. I'll just wait now for the new fans to get here, and if it improves my situation, I'll be happy; if not, I'll still be happy and just wait a year or two (hopefully) for my "bird" to cook, and then have it for dinner! Hmmm, red or white wine with a cooked t-bird...

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
LOL@cooked bird. Yeah my first thought was your exhaust is too small. But I think you should see a difference when you get a 30+ cfm fan on top of it. I thought of buying a V2, but for $8, seems to me you get what you pay for. My Alpha Pal-6035 is an anodized black aluminum rod heatsink, embedded into an aluminum heatplate, with a pressed copper insert. This puppy came to me shining and beautiful. Paid $23, but it has worked wonderfully for me.