Cannot create a new tcp/ip printing port

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

After some critical patch 2-3 weeks ago a printing
problem occurred on both a Windows 2000 and XP box where
I could not longer access the Properties of my printers
and I cannot add a new simple tcp/ip port for a new
printer. Has anyone else had this issue and found a
solution for it?

Thanks,
Steve

You need to clean out the \windows\ directory when other applications place
system files there. I am not sure it this will impact the application
workings.

try sfc /scannow first. If that does not help follow the KB steps.
printui, setupapi, wsnmp are the primary culprits I have seen in the past.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271248
Add Printer Wizard Does Not Work and Previously Installed Printers Are Not
Displayed

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team