Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why Does It Take Me So Long To Install Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
October 19, 2009 5:04:56 AM

I find it weird that when I install Windows 7 on my computer it take a good 5 hours to install. But on the other hand I also tried to install Windows 7 on my Toshiba L305D Laptop, and it installed in 30 minutes. The weird thing is that my computer is way faster than my laptop.

My Computer Specs:

Intel Pentium D 3.20 GHZ
4 GB RAM
500GB Samsung SCSI Harddrive
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner

Laptop Specs:
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core
3 GB RAM
250 GB - Serial ATA-150 Harddrive
DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
Read Speed: 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
Write Speed: 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 6x (DVD±R DL)

The only operating system that installs on both at the same speed, is Windows XP which installs in like less than 15 minutes.

More about : long install windows

a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2009 1:05:23 PM

Well, what is the speed of the processor in your laptop? Clock for clock, the Athlon X2 in your laptop is a full 50% faster than that old Pentium D you have.

Having said that, it still should not take 5 hours. Perhaps that SCSI drive....maybe Win 7 is not using the correct driver and the disk is performing at a crawling pace during the install? Are you suppling the correct driver during install, or just letting Win 7 run with what it has during install?
Why in the world are running a SCSI disk anyway?
Score
April 16, 2010 11:14:51 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with the SCSI. It's actually taking me longer than 5 hours to install Windows 7 on my quad-cord 64-bit AMD 2.40 GHz 4GB ram system multibooted with Linux. Yet, ON THE SAME MACHINE, it takes less than an hour to install *the same* Windows 7 on a *virtual machine* with far less resources at its disposal.

Something is insanely wrong here.

I should call up Microsoft Support directly and chew them a new one if they can't provide a reasonable explanation. Why would it take no time at all on a virtual machine, yet take over 12 hours native on the same hardware?

Windows XP 64-bit takes no "time at all" -- defined as less than an hour -- to install in both scenarios.

The only reason I am bothering with Windows 7 is because Microsoft doesn't seem to want to support XP-64 anymore. Can't get the audio working with it. Something with the high-def audio driver refusing to run for some mysterious reason. (another long story)...

Man, Linux *just works*. I truly don't understand why the world is not flocking to it in droves. I guess the world as a D/s relationship with Microsoft. Hmmm.. I suppose that would be M/s.
Score
Related resources
January 1, 2012 2:53:09 PM

Heh. I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 (64bit), on my HP Pavillion Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4600+ desktop PC, and it took around 28 minutes and I was online with Firefox. I think more people should try it. Ubuntu, it's just like a glass of water, but without the drugs.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2012 5:44:47 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!