Windows XP Fax Service pretends to install

I cannot get the XP fax service to install. I go to control panel, add/remove programs, select the add/remove windows components, check the 'fax services' check box. It *appears* to install, with lots of activity and such. Then it gives me the "You have successfully completed the windows component wizard", and I click 'finish'.

BUT! :)

It's not installed anywhere, can't see it, cant select it...restart? Nope, still not there..

Repeating the process gives me the same result. Please help if you can. And yes, I have a fax modem. Yes, I followed the KB instructions to the letter. Thanks in advance.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows service pretends install

    Look at your faxsetup.log for clues.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Easting" <Easting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I cannot get the XP fax service to install. I go to control panel,
    add/remove programs, select the add/remove windows components, check the
    'fax services' check box. It *appears* to install, with lots of activity
    and such. Then it gives me the "You have successfully completed the windows
    component wizard", and I click 'finish'.

    > BUT! :)
    >
    > It's not installed anywhere, can't see it, cant select it...restart?
    Nope, still not there..

    > Repeating the process gives me the same result. Please help if you can.
    And yes, I have a fax modem. Yes, I followed the KB instructions to the
    letter. Thanks in advance.

Fax Components Windows XP