Printing to (home) network printer causes crash

I have a home network consisting of a desktop PC and a
laptop, connected wirelessly via 802.11b. I have no
problems opening/saving files to or from either computer.

My physical printer, a Minolta Magicolor 2350EN, is
connected to the desktop. I'm able to install it on the
laptop using the "Add New Printer" wizard; it copied
the .INF file and whatever else it needed.

But whenever I select this printer in the print dialog of
any program, that program crashes and "needs to close."
I don't get as far as printing; just selecting it in the
drop-down causes the crash.

When I right-click on this printer and select Properties,
I get the following error dialog:
-------------
Function address 0x500055ee caused a protection fault.
(exception code 0x0000005) Some or all property page(s)
may not be displayed.
-------------
Then nothing happens. Printer properties don't open,
nothing.

I've removed & reinstalled many times now, and tried
printing from a number of programs, including Word,
Excel, and Adobe Acrobat (PDF) among others -- all of
them crash when I select this printer.

The desktop PC prints to the printer with no problem.

Any suggestions or guidance will be most appreciated.
Thank you!
2 answers Last reply
More about printing home network printer crash

    Do you have the latest drivers from Minolta? There are utilities too.
    http://www.qms.com/support/current_printers/mc2350_sup.htm#drivers

    --
    Mary Sauer MS MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    "Brett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a home network consisting of a desktop PC and a
    > laptop, connected wirelessly via 802.11b. I have no
    > problems opening/saving files to or from either computer.
    >
    > My physical printer, a Minolta Magicolor 2350EN, is
    > connected to the desktop. I'm able to install it on the
    > laptop using the "Add New Printer" wizard; it copied
    > the .INF file and whatever else it needed.
    >
    > But whenever I select this printer in the print dialog of
    > any program, that program crashes and "needs to close."
    > I don't get as far as printing; just selecting it in the
    > drop-down causes the crash.
    >
    > When I right-click on this printer and select Properties,
    > I get the following error dialog:
    > -------------
    > Function address 0x500055ee caused a protection fault.
    > (exception code 0x0000005) Some or all property page(s)
    > may not be displayed.
    > -------------
    > Then nothing happens. Printer properties don't open,
    > nothing.
    >
    > I've removed & reinstalled many times now, and tried
    > printing from a number of programs, including Word,
    > Excel, and Adobe Acrobat (PDF) among others -- all of
    > them crash when I select this printer.
    >
    > The desktop PC prints to the printer with no problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions or guidance will be most appreciated.
    > Thank you!

    The driver is causing memory corruption in the application.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Do you have the latest drivers from Minolta? There are utilities too.
    > http://www.qms.com/support/current_printers/mc2350_sup.htm#drivers
    >
    > --
    > Mary Sauer MS MVP
    > http://office.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
    > "Brett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a home network consisting of a desktop PC and a
    > > laptop, connected wirelessly via 802.11b. I have no
    > > problems opening/saving files to or from either computer.
    > >
    > > My physical printer, a Minolta Magicolor 2350EN, is
    > > connected to the desktop. I'm able to install it on the
    > > laptop using the "Add New Printer" wizard; it copied
    > > the .INF file and whatever else it needed.
    > >
    > > But whenever I select this printer in the print dialog of
    > > any program, that program crashes and "needs to close."
    > > I don't get as far as printing; just selecting it in the
    > > drop-down causes the crash.
    > >
    > > When I right-click on this printer and select Properties,
    > > I get the following error dialog:
    > > -------------
    > > Function address 0x500055ee caused a protection fault.
    > > (exception code 0x0000005) Some or all property page(s)
    > > may not be displayed.
    > > -------------
    > > Then nothing happens. Printer properties don't open,
    > > nothing.
    > >
    > > I've removed & reinstalled many times now, and tried
    > > printing from a number of programs, including Word,
    > > Excel, and Adobe Acrobat (PDF) among others -- all of
    > > them crash when I select this printer.
    > >
    > > The desktop PC prints to the printer with no problem.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions or guidance will be most appreciated.
    > > Thank you!

Network Printer Printers Windows XP