Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best RPG of all time

Last response: in Video Games
June 3, 2012 4:25:56 AM

What do you think is the best RPG of all time and why it is?

More about : rpg time

June 3, 2012 8:28:36 AM

everyone has his own taste in games specially in RPGs.

my favorite of all time is Dragon age origins, cause the story line is awesome and you cant get bored of the quests, items, abilities etc was so perfect.

my 2nd TES4:o blivion.

my 3rd FF7

i can add more like witcher 1/2
Score
June 3, 2012 8:30:34 AM

Ohh the fond memories of shenmue that was a great game.
Score
Related resources
June 3, 2012 1:14:43 PM

I do enjoy origins. DA2 game play was better but story was ***. Please provide reasons why these games are good by the sound of it i will have to check them out.
Score
June 3, 2012 2:03:04 PM

ask ten people, you will get ten different answers. all will be right and of course fanboys will argue all are wrong. here is one from the past (goody but oldie)

Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos - i think gog.com has it now
Score
June 3, 2012 3:56:11 PM

Almost all party based RPG's get compared to Baldur's Gate. I'd think that makes it a strong candidate. Neverwinter nights and Dragon Age: Origins are also good. For single character RPG's, I think Morrowind was extremely good, so was Skyrim, but I don't get the same magic today I used to get from games.
Score
June 3, 2012 4:32:39 PM

bystander said:
Almost all party based RPG's get compared to Baldur's Gate. I'd think that makes it a strong candidate. Neverwinter nights and Dragon Age: Origins are also good. For single character RPG's, I think Morrowind was extremely good, so was Skyrim, but I don't get the same magic today I used to get from games.

I can easily argue Baldur's gate party system is heavily influenced (if not a rip off) of the ultima series. frankly ultima and wizardy are the two biggest influences of modern day western style RPGs.
Score
June 3, 2012 4:49:46 PM

ct1615 said:
I can easily argue Baldur's gate party system is heavily influenced (if not a rip off) of the ultima series. frankly ultima and wizardy are the two biggest influences of modern day western style RPGs.

All games are influenced by something. Early on, D&D had huge influences on PC RPG's, including those 2.

I thought this was about what was the best game of all time.
Score
June 3, 2012 6:20:56 PM

best of all time is subjective. if i ask what is the best movie of all time and someone says "cabin boy" well in their mind it may be...
Score
June 3, 2012 6:29:21 PM

Yup, that is true.
Score
June 3, 2012 8:31:20 PM

There are a lot of great games. There is not just one.
Score
June 3, 2012 10:31:18 PM

It is depending on who you ask. But lets for the sake of the thread assume there is only one. Why is that one slightly better than the rest.
Score
June 3, 2012 11:49:40 PM

Of course, we have to assume one, since the thread is asking for it.
Score
June 3, 2012 11:54:23 PM

baldurs gate II is often used as the example of what PC RPGs should be. frankly i think KoTOR stands up to time a little better but BG II is a safe pick for best PC RPG.

if I had to pick one RPG for myself.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qJ-xEZhGms
Score
June 4, 2012 12:39:21 PM

I wouldn't consider Zelda an RPG maybe a pseudo RPG. For example games that follow a linear path but have choices such as fable would be the limit.
Score
June 4, 2012 1:05:29 PM

I loved The Witcher series and Deus Ex: HR. :) 
Score
June 4, 2012 1:31:23 PM

why though.
Score
June 4, 2012 3:02:45 PM

Since I really can't pick one, here are my top 3 and resons why:

Skyrim is truly impressive. The variety in terrain and locations kept this game very interesting. I have never taken so many screenshots of a game before. And the mods really helped this game become great.

The Witcher 2 has an incredible story and also looks gorgeous on a high end rig. The mature story line is hard to beat.

Dark Souls has incredible combat and challenge. Probably the most satisfying combat I've experienced in a game. Each new enemy you experience becomes a puzzle to identify attack patterns and weaknesses. Every hit on an enemy felt rewarding. And now this incredible game is coming to pc in August!
Score
June 4, 2012 4:59:40 PM

jcox26 said:
I wouldn't consider Zelda an RPG maybe a pseudo RPG. For example games that follow a linear path but have choices such as fable would be the limit.

what choices do you have in diablo that change the story? it's very linear but considered a standard for action RPG games.
Score
June 4, 2012 5:15:08 PM

Legend of Dragooooooon

Great story and the combat was so much better than anything else at that time it was playable over and over again.
Score
June 4, 2012 5:39:23 PM

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Many, many wasted hours on this one.

I believe it was one of the first turn-based RPGs that I played. So, I was intrigued by this new, fresh play-style. Plus, it's MARIO! It was so neat to finally explore Mario's open world, and not being in a side-scroller, linear format.

The story was a nice twist. Not the typical Bowser shenanigans.

Some of the puzzles made you think, but nothing overly difficult.

The "timed-hits" combat made the turn-based combat a little more involved.

Throw in the leveling, skill-ups, finding all the secret places and treasure... truly an addictive game.

Dang, gonna have to fire up the ZSNES emulator and play now.

:) 
Score
June 4, 2012 10:20:01 PM

Are here we go those are what i am looking for. I will have to take a look at all of these any more guys.
Score
June 14, 2012 8:22:44 PM

Morrowind because of the deep storyline, open world gameplay and tons of community created mods. Combat was a bit weak though.

Fallout 3 because of open world and mods, but storyline was a bit lacking like most games nowadays.

Mass Effect is good, but not great. Good storyline with lots of choices that can eventually have significant consequences. However, not an open world, and no mods. Haven't played ME3 yet though, waiting for DLCs to be released.

Skyrim is on my To Play list so I'll reserve comment.
Score
June 16, 2012 12:12:01 AM

My fondest memories are of Planescape: Torment and Fallout 2. Both are kind of old now (like me) but the story in Torment was awesome and I loved everything about Fallout 2. I have just re-purchased both of them from GOG.com and they are still fun.
Score
June 16, 2012 12:30:18 AM

It's hard to choose one or even just a few, but here are a few that come to mind.

Biggest impact - Final Fantasy 7 which made me play FFXI
Brought out the OCD completionist in me - Fallout 3
Made me want more - Mass Effect 1

Score
June 18, 2012 1:52:43 PM

Favorite single player sandbox RPG - Elder Scrolls III, Morrowind.
Score
June 18, 2012 2:28:55 PM

World of warcraft !!!! awesome graphics nice quests and nice sound !!
Score

Best solution

June 18, 2012 3:14:30 PM

For the longest time it was KoTOR. Yes, it had its issues in gameplay but it was the 1 RPG that single handedly brought me back to RPGs after being disillusioned from them for so long. Oddly enough since Baldur's Gate 2. Lately, however, Mass Effect is holding the top spot. When I say Mass Effect I mean the entire trilogy.

I finally started Skyrim on the PC last week and I have a feeling that will be moving up the list but where it lands only time will tell. Dragon Age Origins is just pure fun. I hope DA3 brings back the story telling from DAO and combat/party management from DA2.

I guess the common theme here is yes I am a Bioware fan :pt1cable: 
June 18, 2012 9:53:26 PM

nothing wrong with being a bioware fan, the sad part is I've been their fan up until DA2 :( 
Score
June 18, 2012 9:55:31 PM

AntiZig said:
nothing wrong with being a bioware fan, the sad part is I've been their fan up until DA2 :( 

i liked DA2 better then one (was not impressed) and yes i know i'm in the minority with that opinion. to each their own.
Score
June 19, 2012 1:00:52 AM

Morrowind. I wish they'd do a complete remake on a newer, more modern engine with updated graphics. Now that would be something.
Score
June 19, 2012 6:29:15 AM

ct1615 said:
i liked DA2 better then one (was not impressed) and yes i know i'm in the minority with that opinion. to each their own.

I can understand, assuming combat is the reason you liked DA2. I loved the group combos of DA2. However, they did recycle the majority of the zones over and over and the story wasn't quite as epic feeling.
Score
June 19, 2012 12:14:29 PM

bystander said:
I can understand, assuming combat is the reason you liked DA2. I loved the group combos of DA2. However, they did recycle the majority of the zones over and over and the story wasn't quite as epic feeling.

story was one of the reasons i liked it better. i'm sick of the whole "you are a special soldier on an unknown but important mission" re-hash crap bioware has used since KOTOR. it was nice to just play a regular person in a city that no one cares about other then the inhabitants instead of being a jedi knight, spirit monk, spectre, or grey warden. it's going to the well one too often with that set up. then the plot of DA1

you unite an army of elves, dwarves, and a kingdom of men who's leader is under a magic spell. you then lead that army with an "unknown king" to a major city in the nick of time to defeat an onslaught of a brain less enemy who only thinks of carnage. you need to defeat the leader in order to destroy the enemy army.

of wait that is the synopsis for the lord of the rings....

DA1 storytelling is just lazyness. I know stories are influenced by other stories but DA1 took it to a new level.
Score
June 19, 2012 10:11:54 PM

Mass Effect Series, hands down.
Score
June 19, 2012 11:42:27 PM

ct1615 said:
story was one of the reasons i liked it better. i'm sick of the whole "you are a special soldier on an unknown but important mission" re-hash crap bioware has used since KOTOR. it was nice to just play a regular person in a city that no one cares about other then the inhabitants instead of being a jedi knight, spirit monk, spectre, or grey warden. it's going to the well one too often with that set up. then the plot of DA1

you unite an army of elves, dwarves, and a kingdom of men who's leader is under a magic spell. you then lead that army with an "unknown king" to a major city in the nick of time to defeat an onslaught of a brain less enemy who only thinks of carnage. you need to defeat the leader in order to destroy the enemy army.

of wait that is the synopsis for the lord of the rings....

DA1 storytelling is just lazyness. I know stories are influenced by other stories but DA1 took it to a new level.

Well, the story wasn't well received by most, though I didn't mind it at all. I liked the group combos in combat, which really meant all your characters had to coordinate together. The thing I did not like in DA2, was the recycled zones.
Score
June 20, 2012 1:30:46 AM

Phog said:
Morrowind. I wish they'd do a complete remake on a newer, more modern engine with updated graphics. Now that would be something.

http://morroblivion.com/
Score
June 20, 2012 3:12:29 PM

I would love to see the Jade Empire universe and property expanded.
Score
June 22, 2012 4:04:52 AM

No love for Lost Odyssey anyone? ....anyone?
Score
June 22, 2012 7:17:13 AM

played LO finished 3 disks, then lost my save games AAARRGH, but its amazingly nice game to admit it and hard :p 
Score
June 22, 2012 7:56:28 AM

Man that sucks..I got stuck at a point at the end of the 3rd disk and quit for like 4 months then came back and beat the boss fight I was stuck on first try. Wasn't sure whether to be pissed or excited lol great game though..might have to replay it now actually on that new game plus!
Score
June 29, 2012 1:46:43 AM

I would love them to do a HD remake of the elder scrolls games. I do not consider Diablo an RPG either. The witcher is brilliant I have played both of them through twice. It is a shame the Fable series is falling into ***. I think Fable the lost chapters was by far the best of them.
Score
June 29, 2012 7:58:22 PM

Morrowind if you can call that an rpg
Score
June 29, 2012 10:42:00 PM

jimmy_dog said:
Morrowind if you can call that an rpg

If Morrowind isn't an RPG, what the heck is it? If it's not an RPG, what do you consider an RPG?
Score
June 30, 2012 10:44:49 PM

FF7

but that's a boring answer because everyone loves it except for people who have no taste in games.

My second favorite RPG of all time would be Xenogears.
Score
July 4, 2012 12:57:29 AM

No pokemon? </3
Score
July 5, 2012 9:27:57 AM

I would go with Baldur's Gate over Baldur's Gate 2.

Score
July 8, 2012 6:46:21 AM

I am gonna have to say the Witcher 2 due to its engrossing and mature storyline.
Score
July 8, 2012 7:25:35 AM

Best answer selected by jcox26.
Score
!