Opinions On Kyrocera And LG ?

Last response: in Network Providers
February 21, 2005 6:21:36 PM

Hello:

In market for new phone.

Might anyone please offer an opinion on Kyrocera phones ?
On LG ?

Have never heard of them, frankly.

Thanks,
Bob

More about : opinions kyrocera

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:00:35 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:21:36 -0500, "Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com>
wrote:

>Hello:
>
>In market for new phone.
>
>Might anyone please offer an opinion on Kyrocera phones ?
>On LG ?
>
>Have never heard of them, frankly.

Kyocera has a great feature set, and support from Kyocera is above
average. I've never had a chance to play around with an LG.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:49:35 PM

In news:88tk11lqbit8p12irt1pcbrere8o41fdtg@4ax.com,
The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> typed:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:21:36 -0500, "Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> In market for new phone.
>>
>> Might anyone please offer an opinion on Kyrocera phones ?
>> On LG ?
>>
>> Have never heard of them, frankly.
>
> Kyocera has a great feature set, and support from Kyocera is above
> average. I've never had a chance to play around with an LG.

I have had a LG VX4400 for the last two years and I have had no problems at
all. One of the better Cell Phones I have used. AND my wife was able to
learn how to use hers without much trouble. Don't know about the newer LGs
but they seem to get a pretty good ratings.
February 21, 2005 11:59:07 PM

"Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com> wrote in message
news:p _6dnU39h7dU34ffRVn-3A@comcast.com...
> Hello:
>
> In market for new phone.
>
> Might anyone please offer an opinion on Kyrocera phones ?
> On LG ?
>
> Have never heard of them, frankly.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Ya' need to get out of the cave now and then, Bob-O. There's a whole world
out there;-)

Ike
February 22, 2005 7:50:16 AM

I've had three different phones now over my relationship with Verizon. I've
had an Audiovox, Motorola and an LG. Currently I have the LG VX8000.
Previously, I've owned the Motorola T720 and the Audiovox CDM-135. If I had
to rate them (best to worst), I'd go LG, Audiovox, Motorola.

"Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com> wrote in message
news:p _6dnU39h7dU34ffRVn-3A@comcast.com...
> Hello:
>
> In market for new phone.
>
> Might anyone please offer an opinion on Kyrocera phones ?
> On LG ?
>
> Have never heard of them, frankly.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

February 22, 2005 1:30:24 PM

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:21:36 -0500, "Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello:
> >
> >In market for new phone.
> >
> >Might anyone please offer an opinion on Kyrocera phones ?
> >On LG ?
> >
> >Have never heard of them, frankly.
>
> Kyocera has a great feature set, and support from Kyocera is above
> average. I've never had a chance to play around with an LG.

Support from LG is also above average. That is how I ended up with 3 of them
on my plan. I wanted to know about a certain feature and called Motorola.
The off shore person I spoke to could do nothing more than read the manual
to me. I called LG and spoke to someone a few states over who was quite
knowledgeable and helpful and actually fired up the particular model I was
interested in to verify the behavior of a feature was what I wanted.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:53:15 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:21:36 -0500, "Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com> wrote:
>Might anyone please offer an opinion on Kyrocera phones ?
>On LG ?
>Have never heard of them, frankly.

I like my 2 1/2 year-old Kyocera 2235 better than my wife's new LG
VX4500.

If I'm not mistaken, Kyocera bought Qualcomm, and they basically invented
the CMDA system used by Verizon.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

I believe they just bought the handset manufacturing division of
qualcomm.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:51:02 PM

Prior to the vx7000 and vx3200 we recently got, we went from nokia about 4
yrs ago to kyoceras and were very happy. I wanted to stick with Kyocera and
the only reason we didn't get Kyocera's under NE2 was because they didn't
have a BOG3 free deal on them. I like Kyocera much better than nokias...

"Bob Scheurle" <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:21:36 -0500, "Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com> wrote:
>>Might anyone please offer an opinion on Kyrocera phones ?
>>On LG ?
>>Have never heard of them, frankly.
>
> I like my 2 1/2 year-old Kyocera 2235 better than my wife's new LG
> VX4500.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, Kyocera bought Qualcomm, and they basically invented
> the CMDA system used by Verizon.
>
> --
> Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
> njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
> Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:05:40 AM

Bob Scheurle wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, Kyocera bought Qualcomm, and they basically invented
> the CMDA system used by Verizon.

Close, but no. Qualcomm got out of the handset business and sold that segment
of the company to Kyocera. They're still designing phone chipsets.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:04:24 AM

In article <budm115ld40mgu432cnn9j8ppqtlbqcjfo@4ax.com>, njtbob@X-
verizon-X.net says...

> If I'm not mistaken, Kyocera bought Qualcomm, and they basically invented
> the CMDA system used by Verizon.

Actually, Qualcomm just had a dip in applying to technology for
consumer/civilian usage. CDMA has been used by the US military for over
40 years.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 9:19:29 AM

Robert11 wrote:
> Hello:
>
> In market for new phone.
>
> Might anyone please offer an opinion on Kyrocera phones ?
> On LG ?
>
> Have never heard of them, frankly.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Consider visiting Cnet.com and look through the reviews there for the
many Verizon phones. I prefer going from the "user opinions" NOT the
editor ratings there, especially when there are at least a few dozen
user opinions out there to even out the sample. It really gives you a
good idea of how happy people are with their phone, and I've found that
higher user ratings over the years has generally corresponded to my own
happiness with a product.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:45:36 PM

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:05:40 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>> If I'm not mistaken, Kyocera bought Qualcomm, and they basically invented
>> the CMDA system used by Verizon.
>
>Close, but no. Qualcomm got out of the handset business and sold that segment
>of the company to Kyocera. They're still designing phone chipsets.

That's what I meant. Sorry I was unclear.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:48:30 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:04:24 GMT, L. Servingham <l_serv13lks@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> If I'm not mistaken, Kyocera bought Qualcomm, and they basically invented
>> the CMDA system used by Verizon.
>
>Actually, Qualcomm just had a dip in applying to technology for
>consumer/civilian usage. CDMA has been used by the US military for over
>40 years.

But isn't it Qualcomm who designed the cellular CMDA system used by
Verizon and the chipsets used by most of the phone manufacturers? Or am
I giving them too much credit?

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is the OP, who never heard of
Kyocera or LG, shouldn't be afraid of Kyocera/Qualcomm -- they're deeply
involved in the CMDA technology used by Verizon.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980
March 11, 2005 1:14:13 AM

<l_serv13lks@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article <budm115ld40mgu432cnn9j8ppqtlbqcjfo@4ax.com>, njtbob@X-
>verizon-X.net says...
>
>> If I'm not mistaken, Kyocera bought Qualcomm, and they basically invented
>> the CMDA system used by Verizon.
>
>Actually, Qualcomm just had a dip in applying to technology for
>consumer/civilian usage. CDMA has been used by the US military for over
>40 years.

I was under the impression the military used spread spectrum for over
40 years. CDMA uses spread spectrum but does signal processing with
matrix algebra kind of stuff. I believe that hasn't been around for 40
year. But it was indeed developed for use initially by the military.

The military now has a full CDMA wireless phone system they can deploy
tactically on the battlefield.

Unfortunately the base station antennas are fixed position so this
system is not usable in many battle conditions. Simple RF direction
finding can tell the enemy arty where to shoot.

But it is a boon to an organization trying to communicate in
non-battle conditions.... 'can you hear me now?... good!' :-)
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:14:14 AM

In news:hm22315dgk5oda5383f91ks0aa4pi4uomp@4ax.com,
bill@microsoft.com <bill@microsoft.com> typed:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:04:24 GMT, L. Servingham
> <l_serv13lks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <budm115ld40mgu432cnn9j8ppqtlbqcjfo@4ax.com>, njtbob@X-
>> verizon-X.net says...
>>
>>> If I'm not mistaken, Kyocera bought Qualcomm, and they basically
>>> invented the CMDA system used by Verizon.
>>
>> Actually, Qualcomm just had a dip in applying to technology for
>> consumer/civilian usage. CDMA has been used by the US military for
>> over 40 years.
>
> I was under the impression the military used spread spectrum for over
> 40 years. CDMA uses spread spectrum but does signal processing with
> matrix algebra kind of stuff. I believe that hasn't been around for 40
> year. But it was indeed developed for use initially by the military.
>
> The military now has a full CDMA wireless phone system they can deploy
> tactically on the battlefield.
>
> Unfortunately the base station antennas are fixed position so this
> system is not usable in many battle conditions. Simple RF direction
> finding can tell the enemy arty where to shoot.
>
> But it is a boon to an organization trying to communicate in
> non-battle conditions.... 'can you hear me now?... good!' :-)

Kyocera only bought the phone making from Qualcomm.
Qualcomm has patents for CDMA and continues to make chips for CDMA phones.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:14:15 AM

In news:4q8Yd.5001$N15.507@okepread06,
IMHO IIRC <nospam@nospam.net> typed:

> Kyocera only bought the phone making from Qualcomm.
> Qualcomm has patents for CDMA and continues to make chips for CDMA
> phones.

PS: My LG VX4400 actually has a small sticker on the back that says
"QUALCOMM 3G CDMA". Have had my LG VX4400 for two years and have had no
problems at all. From what I have heard LG phones are some of the best CDMA
phones available.
!