lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I've been battling the heat of my new 1.2 T-bird for the last 2 weeks or so (as some of my posts have reflected). One thing I noticed was that the exhaust fan didn't seem to be pumping much air out the back. So I grabbed a pair of pin cutters from work (I'll return them!), and cut out the "grill" that seemed to be blocking the exaust. Actually, the "grill" was merely a group of holes where the exhaust fan was sitting. Unfortunately, I don't have power tools to really do the job right. So, anyway, I cut that part out and I've netted about 2C cooler case temps, and 3-4C CPU temps! So, while I'm still sitting on the high end of the spectrum (30C case, 53-54C cpu), at least I don't end up being at 61-62C after playing a game for a while. Unfortunately, I'm left with some jagged metal that points out from the case (I'm going to have to figure out what to do about that), but I can really feel the fan blowing now. I'm still waiting for the Evercool and Delta fans I've ordered, so one of those should help drop my temps a bit more(I hope). I like my AMD system (first system I've put together myself), but the heat issue really kinda sucks!

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Hi, I also cut around the useless little holes and made a hole the size of the fan, and yep, you can FEEL it blowing like hell out of the back now, I used an electric jigsaw, maybe you should "aqquire" a file from somewhere, you just KNOW that if you dont then one day you will end up with your pc covered in blood ;)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Yeah, I'll eventually get rid of the sharp edges, and put in a "real" grill cover that won't block air flow!

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down