Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

best fax software

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 7:01:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Ok, here's a loaded question.

Is there a free fax client for WinXP that is worth checking out?

Also, which of the commercial packages is best?

Is there an internal modem that has distinctive ring capabilities built-in.
I've looked at ring separators, but they're almost as much as a stand alone
fax.

TIA
Parley


--
Southern California Realtor®

More about : fax software

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 3:30:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I'm not aware of any free Fax clients, other than the XP Fax service that
ships with Windows XP.

Which commercial Fax package is best largely depends on the type of service
you plan for it.

Most ALL modems are capable of detecting Distinctive Ring, the problem lies
with the TAPI service in Windows 2000 and XP, neither of hich support the
Distinctive Ring signals these modems provide. There are hardware helpers
for this problem:

http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
Emerson Switchboard
http://www.command-comm.com/products.html
ComSwitch®

And there are several commercial Fax packages that have their own
Distinctive Ring support, overcoming the TAPI service limitation:

http://www.faxtalk.com/
FaxTalk Messenger Pro
www.pigeonline.com
Pigeon Mail n Fax

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:e2p68UCdEHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Ok, here's a loaded question.
>
> Is there a free fax client for WinXP that is worth checking out?
>
> Also, which of the commercial packages is best?
>
> Is there an internal modem that has distinctive ring capabilities
built-in.
> I've looked at ring separators, but they're almost as much as a stand
alone
> fax.
>
> TIA
> Parley
>
>
> --
> Southern California Realtor®
>
>
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 9:33:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>Ok, here's a loaded question.
>
>Is there a free fax client for WinXP that is worth
checking out?
>
>Also, which of the commercial packages is best?
>
>Is there an internal modem that has distinctive ring
capabilities built-in.
>I've looked at ring separators, but they're almost as
much as a stand alone
>fax.
>
>TIA
>Parley
>
>
>--
>Southern California Realtor®
>

Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.
You were told in a previous post that XP doesn't support
distinctive ring. There are no magic modems that can
overcome this obstacle. You were also given the same
external hardware alternatives that you were given last
time. These days a standalone fax machine can be had for
less than $100--are you destittute or just outrageously
cheap?
Related resources
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:05:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:59f301c4749f$0b1368e0$a601280a@phx.gbl...

>-----Original Message-----
>Ok, here's a loaded question.
>
>Is there a free fax client for WinXP that is worth
checking out?
>
>Also, which of the commercial packages is best?
>
>Is there an internal modem that has distinctive ring
capabilities built-in.
>I've looked at ring separators, but they're almost as
much as a stand alone
>fax.
>
>TIA
>Parley
>
>
>--
>Southern California Realtor®
>

Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.
You were told in a previous post that XP doesn't support
distinctive ring. There are no magic modems that can
overcome this obstacle. You were also given the same
external hardware alternatives that you were given last
time. These days a standalone fax machine can be had for
less than $100--are you destittute or just outrageously
cheap?


I suppose I'm just a glutton for punishment. It isn't the money
necessarily. I'm just a minimalist. I would prefer to receive my faxes on
my computer instead of in hardcopy. And if I can do that without adding
extra cables, exterior components, or monthly charges then that is what I am
looking for.

The other response may have answered my question, citing two possible
software solutions to WinXP's distinctive ring inabilities.

Thanks Anyway,
Parley
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:07:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Thanks Hal,

I'll check out those software offerings and let you know how they work out.

-Parley

"Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
news:%23aA4TxGdEHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I'm not aware of any free Fax clients, other than the XP Fax service that
> ships with Windows XP.
>
> Which commercial Fax package is best largely depends on the type of
service
> you plan for it.
>
> Most ALL modems are capable of detecting Distinctive Ring, the problem
lies
> with the TAPI service in Windows 2000 and XP, neither of hich support the
> Distinctive Ring signals these modems provide. There are hardware helpers
> for this problem:
>
> http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
> Emerson Switchboard
> http://www.command-comm.com/products.html
> ComSwitch®
>
> And there are several commercial Fax packages that have their own
> Distinctive Ring support, overcoming the TAPI service limitation:
>
> http://www.faxtalk.com/
> FaxTalk Messenger Pro
> www.pigeonline.com
> Pigeon Mail n Fax
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
> Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:e2p68UCdEHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Ok, here's a loaded question.
> >
> > Is there a free fax client for WinXP that is worth checking out?
> >
> > Also, which of the commercial packages is best?
> >
> > Is there an internal modem that has distinctive ring capabilities
> built-in.
> > I've looked at ring separators, but they're almost as much as a stand
> alone
> > fax.
> >
> > TIA
> > Parley
> >
> >
> > --
> > Southern California Realtor®
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 1:04:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uD9DdOKdEHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:59f301c4749f$0b1368e0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Ok, here's a loaded question.
> >
> >Is there a free fax client for WinXP that is worth
> checking out?
> >
> >Also, which of the commercial packages is best?
> >
> >Is there an internal modem that has distinctive ring
> capabilities built-in.
> >I've looked at ring separators, but they're almost as
> much as a stand alone
> >fax.
> >
> >TIA
> >Parley
> >
> >
> >--
> >Southern California Realtor®
> >
>
> Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.
> You were told in a previous post that XP doesn't support
> distinctive ring. There are no magic modems that can
> overcome this obstacle. You were also given the same
> external hardware alternatives that you were given last
> time. These days a standalone fax machine can be had for
> less than $100--are you destittute or just outrageously
> cheap?

Seems silly to spend even $100 if it is possible to make hardware
you already have work to do what you need to do.

>
>
> I suppose I'm just a glutton for punishment. It isn't the money
> necessarily. I'm just a minimalist. I would prefer to receive my faxes
on
> my computer instead of in hardcopy. And if I can do that without adding
> extra cables, exterior components, or monthly charges then that is what I
am
> looking for.
>
> The other response may have answered my question, citing two possible
> software solutions to WinXP's distinctive ring inabilities.
>
> Thanks Anyway,
> Parley
>
>
Found this : http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dringxp.asp

when googling(?) "distinctive ring" xp

Dick Kistler
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 10:22:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>
>"Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:uD9DdOKdEHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
>> news:59f301c4749f$0b1368e0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>>
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >Ok, here's a loaded question.
>> >
>> >Is there a free fax client for WinXP that is worth
>> checking out?
>> >
>> >Also, which of the commercial packages is best?
>> >
>> >Is there an internal modem that has distinctive ring
>> capabilities built-in.
>> >I've looked at ring separators, but they're almost as
>> much as a stand alone
>> >fax.
>> >
>> >TIA
>> >Parley
>> >
>> >
>> >--
>> >Southern California Realtor®
>> >
>>
>> Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.
>> You were told in a previous post that XP doesn't support
>> distinctive ring. There are no magic modems that can
>> overcome this obstacle. You were also given the same
>> external hardware alternatives that you were given last
>> time. These days a standalone fax machine can be had for
>> less than $100--are you destittute or just outrageously
>> cheap?
>
>Seems silly to spend even $100 if it is possible to make
hardware
>you already have work to do what you need to do.
>
>>
>>
>> I suppose I'm just a glutton for punishment. It isn't
the money
>> necessarily. I'm just a minimalist. I would prefer to
receive my faxes
>on
>> my computer instead of in hardcopy. And if I can do
that without adding
>> extra cables, exterior components, or monthly charges
then that is what I
>am
>> looking for.
>>
>> The other response may have answered my question,
citing two possible
>> software solutions to WinXP's distinctive ring
inabilities.
>>
>> Thanks Anyway,
>> Parley
>>
>>
>Found this : http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dringxp.asp
>
>when googling(?) "distinctive ring" xp
>
>Dick Kistler
>

The majority of fax-related posts here come from people
who are either trying to do the impossible (send faxes
over broadband connections, e.g.) or trying to do something
the XP fax application wasn't designed or intended to do.
Note that the OP's signature indicates that he is a
realtor, which means that he probably does a fair amount of
faxing. The XP fax service was not intended for heavy-
duty use. It's fine for occasional use, but it's inherently
clumsy and slow. Time is money in business, and it
appears that the OP is being penny wise and pound foolish
by not choosing the most efficient and cost-effective
method for sending faxes. The OP uses the euphemism
"minimalist" for "foolishly cheap."
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 1:45:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:68bc01c4756f$1c731420$a501280a@phx.gbl...

>-----Original Message-----
>
>"Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:uD9DdOKdEHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
>> news:59f301c4749f$0b1368e0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>>
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >Ok, here's a loaded question.
>> >
>> >Is there a free fax client for WinXP that is worth
>> checking out?
>> >
>> >Also, which of the commercial packages is best?
>> >
>> >Is there an internal modem that has distinctive ring
>> capabilities built-in.
>> >I've looked at ring separators, but they're almost as
>> much as a stand alone
>> >fax.
>> >
>> >TIA
>> >Parley
>> >
>> >
>> >--
>> >Southern California Realtor®
>> >
>>
>> Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.
>> You were told in a previous post that XP doesn't support
>> distinctive ring. There are no magic modems that can
>> overcome this obstacle. You were also given the same
>> external hardware alternatives that you were given last
>> time. These days a standalone fax machine can be had for
>> less than $100--are you destittute or just outrageously
>> cheap?
>
>Seems silly to spend even $100 if it is possible to make
hardware
>you already have work to do what you need to do.
>
>>
>>
>> I suppose I'm just a glutton for punishment. It isn't
the money
>> necessarily. I'm just a minimalist. I would prefer to
receive my faxes
>on
>> my computer instead of in hardcopy. And if I can do
that without adding
>> extra cables, exterior components, or monthly charges
then that is what I
>am
>> looking for.
>>
>> The other response may have answered my question,
citing two possible
>> software solutions to WinXP's distinctive ring
inabilities.
>>
>> Thanks Anyway,
>> Parley
>>
>>
>Found this : http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dringxp.asp
>
>when googling(?) "distinctive ring" xp
>
>Dick Kistler
>

The majority of fax-related posts here come from people
who are either trying to do the impossible (send faxes
over broadband connections, e.g.) or trying to do something
the XP fax application wasn't designed or intended to do.
Note that the OP's signature indicates that he is a
realtor, which means that he probably does a fair amount of
faxing. The XP fax service was not intended for heavy-
duty use. It's fine for occasional use, but it's inherently
clumsy and slow. Time is money in business, and it
appears that the OP is being penny wise and pound foolish
by not choosing the most efficient and cost-effective
method for sending faxes. The OP uses the euphemism
"minimalist" for "foolishly cheap."


Just for the record: When I said "minimalist" I wasn't referring to cost.
I was referring to clutter on my desk. Fewer cables, fewer machines. And I
like to keep a digital backup of an entire transaction. Using my computer
as my fax machine would simplify things a great deal.

I understand that when I have to fax a 20 page report that it would be
cumbersome to scan each page individually, then combine them into one file
and then fax them. I'm working on that.

Maybe I just need to get a multifunction device that has an auto document
feeder. Maybe this would solve both problems at once. Fewer devices - more
functionality.

What do you think?
TIA
!