printer icon does not appear in the desktop tray

We have recently replaced approx 10 WinNT computers with Dell machines
running XP Pro. We have various printers and plotters. No matter which one
is selected, the printer icon does not appear in the desktop tray. We have
even expanded the tray to show hidden icons. We still receive message
notification that the document has been printed.

Our existing WinNT machines have no problem ...the print icon appears as it
always did.

Is there a setting in XP Pro to fix this?

Thanks for any help

--
~Jeff~
[Microsoft Windows XP Pro,Office 2000]

    Verify that notifications are enabled on the client (Printers Folder, File,
    Server Properties Advanced)

    If these are connections to a server and the firewall is enabled, you will
    need to open the sharing ports in order for the spooler on the server to
    communicate with the clients.

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp
    How to Open Ports in the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "~Jeff~" <~Jeff~@~nomail~.com> wrote in message
    > We have recently replaced approx 10 WinNT computers with Dell machines
    > running XP Pro. We have various printers and plotters. No matter which one
    > is selected, the printer icon does not appear in the desktop tray. We have
    > even expanded the tray to show hidden icons. We still receive message
    > notification that the document has been printed.
    >
    > Our existing WinNT machines have no problem ...the print icon appears as
    it
    > always did.
    >
    > Is there a setting in XP Pro to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > --
    > ~Jeff~
    > [Microsoft Windows XP Pro,Office 2000]