Heatsink Mounting

G

I've noticed that when I mount my heatsink, and leave the case on it's side such that the heatsink sits on top of the motherboard, I get temps at about 43C. However, when I stand my case right side up such that the heatsink is now "hanging off" the motherboard, my temperature goes up to 48C. Obviously, once I stand the case up, the heatsink doesn't contact the cpu die as well as when I had the case on it's side. I used AS II as the thermal paste.

Has anybody else encountered this, or have suggestions on how to get a better mounting? All temps are taken from the bios.

Thanks!!

1.4Ghz AMD
Gigabyte7DXR
MC462A HSF
256MB PC2400
2x40gb HD
ElsaGeForce3
430watt p/s

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I would suggest that your springs are not correctly pressured on the 462 heatsink.

Not positive on your board but for a7v133 you should have:

brass turrets on mobo (no spacer)
heatsink
plastic washer
spring
plastic washer
screw (to turret)

no shims please

If you have both spacers on the spring/screw and no washer on the mobo the contact with the cpu should be very firm.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

It was open for both tests. I've also been talking about this on another forum, and somebody suggested that this was due to heat rising. When I have the case on it's side, heat rises up and out of the case with no restriction. However, when I have the case stand right side up, heat gets trapped inside the case. This sounded like a fairly reasonable explanation to me....

1.4Ghz AMD
Gigabyte7DXR
MC462A HSF
256MB PC2400
2x40gb HD
ElsaGeForce3
430watt p/s