Can't Access Battle.net ?!

headlesszombie

Honorable
May 2, 2012
As of yesterday I cannot access anything battle.net-related as it just won't connect. If I go to battlenet on my browser it says chrome cannot find battle.net, if I start up d3 it will say "failed to update tools," and if I try starting up sc2 I am unable to even log out. It's not my firewall as I turned that off and tried, I am also using avast anti-virus not sure if that would be affecting it. Was running everything fine until yesterday. Any ideas?

robjapan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I have the same problem, I can't access anything battle.net related via a web browser.

However, I can login and play wow, sc2 and d3....

At first I thought it was maintenance but I haven't been able to connect to any of the battle.net's for almost a week now.

robjapan.

lyane

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Robjapan were you able to resolve the issue? I also live in Japan, I'm with plala NTT, I've talked to a couple friends of mine who's also living in Japan atm and they have the same problem we have. However when I goto a public location with my iphone with those softbank bb wifi hotspots I'm able to get on battle.net from there.

I believe it has something to do with our ISPs If you know how to fix this please let us know alot of people in Japan is having this problem right now.

lyane

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Guess what, I called battle.net's support number, I think enough of us bug them they'll fix it. Rob what ISP are you with? I want to figure out if it's our ISP or what.

Here's the number I was calling them with, I called them almost daily to see if I can get a smarter tech support rep. One of them even suggested that it was my ISP blocking battle.net... what a blockhead.

Use your skype to call it. It's free.

Tenebroso

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Configure your modem to a OPEN DNS
Try Primary DNS 8.8.8.8 , Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4
I had the same problem and this worked for me.
I live in tokyo and my ISP is OCN.
My modem is RV-S340NE
Good Luck and sorry for my poor english !!!

lyane

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I tried setting it to

Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4

in my Buffalo Router.

However it didn't work for me. I'm still getting connection refused error.

Do you have to set a gateway?

dokukyle

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hi there,

I live in Tokyo and am also having this exact problem with my OCN connection. Im relieved to know its not just me.

I've tried everything; proxy, mtu settings, reconfiguring everything and nothing works so i knew it had to be a wider spread problem.

Anyone know what we can do? :pfff:

robjapan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
The only thing we can do is keep phoning them, as none of us can even access battle.net to open a ticket ;/

How can an ENTIRE country be blocked to battle.net and blizzard not know about it ;-/

lyane

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
They specifically said they're not getting calls about it, I told the tech : "Well, we live in Japan, maybe that's why you're not getting calls about it?" lol

Guys please, its a free 1-800 number, call them. It's free. Install skype, you don't need to charge money in it to call them. If enough of us call them they'll do something about it.

Just to let you guys know I did a tracert on battle.net from my home and it clearly shows that I would hop 15 different locations until I reach att.net etc etc etc.....

For those of you who don't know what att.net is it's Blizzard's battle.net west server address. It's where we usually connect to from Japan.

What does that mean? It means our connection is not being blocked by our ISP. It goes out just fine, travels all the way to USWest Battle.net, then it gets denied.

This is not our problem. Something, or someone is blocking us.

lyane

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

I have to be honest I think blizzard is blocking a cluster of ip addresses from certain iSP companies in foreign countries such as korea, japan and german because alot of gold farmer, RMT that use these ip addresses to mask themselves in China so they can get access to battle.net. This happened alot in WoW so I'm sure it's catching on with diablo3.

VPN servers are being sold to china for around 3$ a month so they can access battle.net. I talked to a head of an RMT operation and I was told that a vpn server say in german can supply 30-50 gold farmers at once. And it's because so many are using these vpn proxies to mask themselves Blizzard has no choice but to ban our ISP. And surely, we get burned in the process and blizzard isn't going to admit it over the phone to you.

sukotto123

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I live in Osaka and have also had the same problem for a while now (been busy with work so I can't be sure, maybe 10 days +- a few). I have a buddy I play D3 with living in Nara and he said he isn't having any trouble. I just got NTT Hikari using OCN, but I am pretty sure he isn't using Hikari and is likely through another provider. Maybe OCN is the trouble?

I will call Blizzard sometime this week to try and get some info.

-Scott

sukotto123

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

I just downloaded Tor and ran it quickly. I don't have time to play with anything on it, but just trying out battle.net and any other links from that main page: couldn't connect. Did you do something to configure it?

sw_mf

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
After using it a bit more it seems like after a while it stops working. Stopping and starting tor makes it work again for me though.
I'm using the bundled Tor Browser by the way, didn't configure anything just unpacked and ran it.

dokukyle

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
yeah tor browser doesnt work for me either.

diablo 3 and wow run fine just cant access battle.net in a browser.

v v annoying.

IF diablo 3 can play in offline it will be game I will play forever .

really? im over it already. played d2 for like 6 years though... slowly my battle.net friends list have all gone back to wow too it seems...

frwololo

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
This is not a problem on the ISP side, but blizzard blocking some Asian IPs,
A few additional details here:
http://groovybear.net/2012/06/18/blizzard-blocking-hundreds-thousands-of-ips-in-asia/

For those who wonder, games such as Diablo3 are still playable, so the "this is to prevent gold farmers" explanation is unlikely.

cordeh

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Same issue, I'm in Okinawa, my ISP is OCN. Battle.net has been blocked for about a week now, but I can login D3, SC2, and WoW no problem, just not with a browser. Anyone get this resolved yet?