Sign in with
Your question

Can't Access Battle.net ?!

Last response: in Video Games
June 5, 2012 5:13:47 AM

As of yesterday I cannot access anything battle.net-related as it just won't connect. If I go to battlenet on my browser it says chrome cannot find battle.net, if I start up d3 it will say "failed to update tools," and if I try starting up sc2 I am unable to even log out. It's not my firewall as I turned that off and tried, I am also using avast anti-virus not sure if that would be affecting it. Was running everything fine until yesterday. Any ideas?

More about : access battle net

June 5, 2012 2:30:32 PM

I have tried getting on on several different devices - two other laptops, my blackberry ipod touch and all cannot access battle.net - what the hell is up ?
m
l
June 8, 2012 11:52:58 PM

I have the same problem, I can't access anything battle.net related via a web browser.

However, I can login and play wow, sc2 and d3....

At first I thought it was maintenance but I haven't been able to connect to any of the battle.net's for almost a week now.

robjapan.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 12:04:40 PM

robjapan, I have the exactly same issue now. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we are both in Japan. (assuming from your name)
m
l
June 9, 2012 2:44:20 PM

I had the same issue with the site not working for me yesterday. However, I could access d3 and sc2. Now though, I can access battlenet via browser.
m
l
June 13, 2012 10:19:43 PM

Robjapan were you able to resolve the issue? I also live in Japan, I'm with plala NTT, I've talked to a couple friends of mine who's also living in Japan atm and they have the same problem we have. However when I goto a public location with my iphone with those softbank bb wifi hotspots I'm able to get on battle.net from there.

I believe it has something to do with our ISPs If you know how to fix this please let us know alot of people in Japan is having this problem right now.
m
l
June 14, 2012 12:11:56 AM

As of right now I still can't access battle.net at all....
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:36:04 PM

Guess what, I called battle.net's support number, I think enough of us bug them they'll fix it. Rob what ISP are you with? I want to figure out if it's our ISP or what.

Here's the number I was calling them with, I called them almost daily to see if I can get a smarter tech support rep. One of them even suggested that it was my ISP blocking battle.net... what a blockhead.

Use your skype to call it. It's free.
m
l
June 15, 2012 10:24:01 AM

Configure your modem to a OPEN DNS
Try Primary DNS 8.8.8.8 , Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4
I had the same problem and this worked for me.
I live in tokyo and my ISP is OCN.
My modem is RV-S340NE
Good Luck and sorry for my poor english !!!

m
l
June 15, 2012 1:20:27 PM

I tried setting it to

Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4

in my Buffalo Router.

However it didn't work for me. I'm still getting connection refused error.

Do you have to set a gateway?
m
l
June 15, 2012 1:48:14 PM

Hi there,

I live in Tokyo and am also having this exact problem with my OCN connection. Im relieved to know its not just me.

I've tried everything; proxy, mtu settings, reconfiguring everything and nothing works so i knew it had to be a wider spread problem.

Anyone know what we can do? :pfff: 
m
l
June 15, 2012 5:08:48 PM

The only thing we can do is keep phoning them, as none of us can even access battle.net to open a ticket ;/

How can an ENTIRE country be blocked to battle.net and blizzard not know about it ;-/
m
l
June 15, 2012 9:33:23 PM

They specifically said they're not getting calls about it, I told the tech : "Well, we live in Japan, maybe that's why you're not getting calls about it?" lol

Guys please, its a free 1-800 number, call them. It's free. Install skype, you don't need to charge money in it to call them. If enough of us call them they'll do something about it.

Just to let you guys know I did a tracert on battle.net from my home and it clearly shows that I would hop 15 different locations until I reach att.net etc etc etc.....

For those of you who don't know what att.net is it's Blizzard's battle.net west server address. It's where we usually connect to from Japan.

What does that mean? It means our connection is not being blocked by our ISP. It goes out just fine, travels all the way to USWest Battle.net, then it gets denied.

This is not our problem. Something, or someone is blocking us.
m
l
June 16, 2012 1:25:47 AM

i will call them today.

on another note i can access battle.net from my work pc in shinjuku? so i dont think its the whole country.. i dont know though??

hmmmmmmm
m
l
June 17, 2012 4:34:03 AM

dokukyle said:
i will call them today.

on another note i can access battle.net from my work pc in shinjuku? so i dont think its the whole country.. i dont know though??

hmmmmmmm

I have to be honest I think blizzard is blocking a cluster of ip addresses from certain iSP companies in foreign countries such as korea, japan and german because alot of gold farmer, RMT that use these ip addresses to mask themselves in China so they can get access to battle.net. This happened alot in WoW so I'm sure it's catching on with diablo3.

VPN servers are being sold to china for around 3$ a month so they can access battle.net. I talked to a head of an RMT operation and I was told that a vpn server say in german can supply 30-50 gold farmers at once. And it's because so many are using these vpn proxies to mask themselves Blizzard has no choice but to ban our ISP. And surely, we get burned in the process and blizzard isn't going to admit it over the phone to you.
m
l
June 17, 2012 6:08:15 AM

This is the problem for drm game. :S
IF diablo 3 can play in offline it will be game I will play forever .
m
l
June 17, 2012 6:57:47 AM

same problem here in Japan :( 
not an ideal solution but I've been able to get around it by using the tor browser. slow yes, but fine for forum browsing.
m
l
June 17, 2012 7:04:22 AM

I live in Osaka and have also had the same problem for a while now (been busy with work so I can't be sure, maybe 10 days +- a few). I have a buddy I play D3 with living in Nara and he said he isn't having any trouble. I just got NTT Hikari using OCN, but I am pretty sure he isn't using Hikari and is likely through another provider. Maybe OCN is the trouble?

I will call Blizzard sometime this week to try and get some info.

-Scott
m
l
June 17, 2012 7:15:59 AM

sw_mf said:
same problem here in Japan :( 
not an ideal solution but I've been able to get around it by using the tor browser. slow yes, but fine for forum browsing.

I just downloaded Tor and ran it quickly. I don't have time to play with anything on it, but just trying out battle.net and any other links from that main page: couldn't connect. Did you do something to configure it?
m
l
June 17, 2012 7:50:38 AM

After using it a bit more it seems like after a while it stops working. Stopping and starting tor makes it work again for me though.
I'm using the bundled Tor Browser by the way, didn't configure anything just unpacked and ran it.
m
l
June 17, 2012 12:53:24 PM

yeah tor browser doesnt work for me either.

diablo 3 and wow run fine just cant access battle.net in a browser.

v v annoying.

Quote:
IF diablo 3 can play in offline it will be game I will play forever .

really? im over it already. played d2 for like 6 years though... slowly my battle.net friends list have all gone back to wow too it seems...
m
l
June 20, 2012 4:32:55 AM

checked this morning and battle.net works! :bounce: 

anyone else finding the same?
m
l
June 23, 2012 11:26:04 AM

Same issue, I'm in Okinawa, my ISP is OCN. Battle.net has been blocked for about a week now, but I can login D3, SC2, and WoW no problem, just not with a browser. Anyone get this resolved yet?
m
l
August 3, 2012 2:34:19 AM

I could access for a while but now I can't access battle.net again.

Weird thing is... I CAN login to wow, sc2 and diablo3 and play perfectly fine...
m
l
August 15, 2012 4:28:05 PM

just thought i might mention since i stumbled upon this problem myself after switching internet service.
I was on plala adsl and had no problems.

Recently switched to hikari (@nifty) and ran into this problem.
Not that it helps, but perhaps being on fiber is part of the issue.
m
l
August 20, 2012 4:38:33 PM

Same problem here, I'm in Aichi and in my experience with this kind of issues ( Work in Japan as a Video game network programmer) it seems that blizzard is blocking ranges of IP's used by "normal" users of providers like OCN. There was a post that said that it worked fine on the office computer, the reason: In Japan almost all the companies have static global IPs, thus they are "out of range" of the banned IPs.
This is quite unfair but the only thing you can do to solve this is hope that someday your global IP changes out of range of the banned IPs...or go to a Manga Kissa (they are business so they almost always have static IPs) and access from there... or use a proxy server....or use remote control software and access your work PC from your home (maybe you'll get in trouble ).... or use tethering on your phone...

The reason the game works is because it uses a different port for requesting service.... the internet normally uses port 80 so what blizzard does is simply to filter incoming connections to port 80 and apply the "IP range blocks". If the game servers would block ranges of IPs instead of individual IPs , blizzard now would be prone to a very looong list of legal issues with its customers.

m
l
August 24, 2012 10:44:12 AM

Was having the same issue for over a month (I'm in Tokyo). Tried a vpn and it works. There are plenty to choose from if you do a google. I went with hotspot shield elite. Good news is, this also gives me access to hulu.com etc.
m
l
August 26, 2012 9:08:25 AM

Same issue... can login just fine few months ago but then suddenly cannot.

I heard it is due to the Japan ISP all changed to IPv6 stuff. but not sure.

I living in Kanagawa and is using Hikari.net too.

can login and play diablo 3 fine but cannot login to website's battlenet when wanna see friend's character profiles...
m
l
September 2, 2012 2:27:47 AM

Just to add more info to this problem, I'm living in Chiba and I'm using OCN with hikari.
Twice now I couldn't even open any page related to Blizzard.
After a while (few days or even weeks), at least I can access the pages.
The problem now is that I try to access my account and I get the error message saying "too many attempts (403)".
I've contacted customer support by phone and asked them to check.
The first attendant said that my account had some kind of block but that he canceled it so that I should try again after 30 minutes.
Even after 2 hours the error message was still there. Call them over again, ask them to change my email address (in case the block was linked to it) but nothing changed.
The second attendant told me that he would forward the problem to the tech team in the US (as I'd called Australia because of the time) and have them checked.
Yesterday I got an email saying the problem was solved but when I tried, the error message is still there.
As mentioned on the post above, I can access from my office but still, what a pain!
At least I can play the game but not being able to access my account whatever I want, bugs me.
m
l
September 14, 2012 12:03:03 AM

Well, for whatever reason, it is working now. I hope the same is true for all of you as well!
m
l
October 30, 2012 2:48:14 AM

lyane said:
Robjapan were you able to resolve the issue? I also live in Japan, I'm with plala NTT, I've talked to a couple friends of mine who's also living in Japan atm and they have the same problem we have. However when I goto a public location with my iphone with those softbank bb wifi hotspots I'm able to get on battle.net from there.

I believe it has something to do with our ISPs If you know how to fix this please let us know alot of people in Japan is having this problem right now.

Sorry, my message got lost so I'll retype it.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? I just had Plala set up today in my home and I cannot log into World of Warcraft. I can get past the initial log-in, but I cannot log into my individual characters. Into the server itself. I also cannot log-in to Diablo 3. I get error 3005 which is an error given if they believe you are spamming the server.

I do not know how to access my router or modem to change any settings, so if you have Plala-anybody--any help is appreciated. If there are some IT words I should know in Japanese, that too would be appreciated. My Japanese isn't great, so if anyone is willing to show some support, please make sure you include the Japanese text to help me find my way. Canceling is out of the question since I just signed a contract... I'd like to make it work...

kerensa.morrison@gmail.com if anyone can offer any sort of help. Thanks.
m
l
November 27, 2012 3:15:26 PM

I am living in Nagano Japan and having this same problem. Diablo 3 and WoW work fine, but anything "battle.net" related in a web browser won't work despite every other website working.

I've actually been here for a few months and was able to access battle.net for most of that time until recently (maybe around two or three weeks) it's really strange...
m
l
!