Used artic silver, temp no better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My previous cpu temp was around 50c, now with arctic silver, it around the same.

I'm pretty sure I put it on correctly, I've done it before. I removed the pad from the heatsink, cleaned it, blah blah. Will too much compound on the core affect temp? I think that may be it.

G

Too much paste isn't too bad - excess is extruded.
What CPU & Cooler do you use?

G

I had a little improvement when i used arctic silver II (instead of standard thermal paste) on my Athlon 800 which is running at 1100 (1.85v). I am using the good old Aplha PAL6035 heatsink with a 4800 rpm fan.
I got the impression that heat was transferred faster, so the cpu cools down faster when the heavy cpu load stops. I think it caused an overall cpu temperature drop of something around 1C to 2C or so.

Don't expect miracles from arctic silver, invest in a good and big heatsink (preferrably all copper, or with copper inlay like Alpha PAL6045) and a good fan. I would not use the thermal tape which is standard on those coolermaster coolers, thermal paste should be better.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
You don't necessarily need a big heatsink, as the OCZ Gladiator and the other knockoff prove. I think the solution that we are headed (beside watercooling) is a big honkin Delta 38cfm fan at 46db, on top of a nice compact thin fin copper heatsink.

Of course the saving grace would be a nice output 60mm fan, somewhere in the 35cfm range, and under 40db, preferably like 35db. Also I'd like to see an all silver thin fin heatsink.

Of course there is always watercooling.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

G

bah! I like my mc462 with two 92mm 80cfm fans stacked on it :) They are rated 45dba :)

G

oh, and too much ac is a bad thing. Try doing it again with a real thing layer, alsmot see through.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Stacked fans don't double your airflow, I hope you realize that. The best they do is assure that you hit the maximum airflow for a single fan.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
FatBurger:

2 fans in series are most like two batteries in series: doubles the static pressure (potential) but not necessarily the airflow (current). Thus with no resistance to airflow, what you say is true. WITH resistance however, airflow IS increased due to the higher pressure to push through the resistance. Losses through the fans limit the effectiveness to less than 2x a single.

We poor ME's always had to ask for the mechanical analog to understand anything electrical. Looks like you EE's didn't trouble yourselves with things mechanical. :wink:

see details here:<A HREF="http://www.sunon.com.tw/index_en.htm" target="_new">http://www.sunon.com.tw/index_en.htm</A>

This is not to say that sticking a 80mm, 60CFM Delta on top of a 60mm, 20 CFM Coolmaster is a good idea any more than putting 8x1.5 Volt C cells in series with your 12V car battery is going to "jump" start your car :frown: . The resistance of the small battery or fan will limit the total flow no matter what the voltage or pressure of the big one. (not the perfect analogy, but you get the picture)

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek:

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think the performance gain of 2 fans in series directly next to each other is <i>very</i> low. Fans rely on a steady stream of inbound air to be able to work effectively. If you pass a turbulent airflow into a fan its efficiency is massively reduced.

The best way for this to work would be to include a duct length to recover laminar/linear airflow before getting to the second fan, which would then work much more efficiently and have a true effect on pressure and flow.

The other option is that if you must have two fans adjacent - ensure that they are perfectly synchronised. This could be electronic but more usually mechanical linkage with a slight blade offset to in effect continue the blade pitch.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
m_kelder,

Set us straight: Have you tested your mc462 with 1 fan vs. 2 fans? You'd have to remove the upper fan completely for a fair comparison. That would be the most definitive answer.

peteb,

You're right, entry airflow is important. Since the second fan wouldn't get clean inlet flow, it wouldn't give you full performance (its contribution less than theoretical). However, I believe it would still increase total static pressure and airflow. I haven't tried this myself, so just theorizing and I don't have a "hot" enough system to see much difference at this point. I have seen other people post that this trick has helped them get better cooling without as much noise as a 38CFM delta (at least in their own minds). It would probably be most effective with 2 high CFM, low static pressure fans (2x80mm Sunons or similar say the KD1208PTB1 which produces 39CFM at 3000 RPM and 33db). Two of those would probably outperform a single 38CFM Delta at a theoretical 36db. Not bad, but you'd need and adapter for a 60mm application. Separating them with a spacer to straighten the flow would help, especially if the outer fan was mounted through the case sucking nice cool air. But there goes much of the quietness benefit!

BW

G

Sorry i've been missing this. I've done many tests with my mc462. I had a 80mm sunon that wasn't as good as the delta 80mm and of course it didn't perform as well either. I first added the 92mm fan and got a good performance increase, higher cfm, wider spread over the heatsink. I added the second and stacked it above the other and got pretty much no gain. I heard that putting space between the fans was better and tried that. I put about 4cm space between and got better performance than the one 92mm. I though hey! I just got some lower temps but I still wasn't satisfied. After some thought I realized that all fans have one thing in common, the motor is in the middle. Heatsinks have something in the middle of them too, it's called a cpu :) So what I did is off set them about half and half, like this
====
...==== <--fans
.{{{{ <-- heatsink
.{{{{
...-- <-- the hot cpu
See how where the cpu is the fans meet and actually have the most focused airflow on it. I haven't tried putting a space between them yet though. Unfortunately, I didn't document the actual changes in temps and I also have been changing the voltage and mhz of the cpu between those changes as well. Perhaps now I will keep it at what it is now and then re-test all the different setups but this time writing down the changes.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The 'details' weren't obvious, not sure what you're trying to point out.

Two stacked fans rated at a max of 80CFM will not give you any more than 80CFM, period. There will be a greater likelihood that you hit 80CFM, but you WILL NOT get higher than that, under any circumstances. It's physically impossible, and there's more to overcome (like fan alignment, as someone pointed out), than there are benefits, IMO.
Will it help? Of course, but you won't get double the airflow, as some people seem to think.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
FatBurger,

Just reread your first post and realize you were 100% right. My bad. Max flow for 2 identical fans in series = max flow for single fan as you said. I better get those new glasses I need, now!

I jumped to the conclusion that you were saying 2 fans couldn't help.

What you actually said was exactly correct!

I guess you EE's did study fans after all!

My apologies,

BW

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wish everyone on this forum could handle a debate like you and FatBurger...well done. I guess there is hope.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

Weed Wacker

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I have an Athlon II X3 445 with stacked fans my temps run around 22C all the time. I don't know about overclocking I don't do that stuff. I just saw the debate and I'm trying to learn,so isn't lower CPU temps the goal and is there a thing as too cool? Please help me understand, like I said I'm just a novice and trying to learn. Thanks guys for all the neat info.

Status
Not open for further replies.