Presario CDS-524

I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to get a
manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something showing the
motherboard etc...?
Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??

Torbjørn.

hh

Not much documentation available on a 1995 PC. What did you want to know
about it?
HH

"Torbjørn Morka" <tbm_ar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to get a
>manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something showing the
>motherboard etc...?
> Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??
>
> Torbjørn.

"Torbjørn Morka" <tbm_ar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to get a
>manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something showing the
>motherboard etc...?
> Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??

Maybe I can help. As a former Tech Support employee of Compaq I still have
my Compaq Service Quick Reference Guide and within are a few pages on the
Presario 500 Family. What is it you would like to know about the
motherboard?

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security

Don Kelloway wrote:
> "Torbjørn Morka" <tbm_ar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to get a
>>manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something showing the
>>motherboard etc...?
>>Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??
>>

> Maybe I can help. As a former Tech Support employee of Compaq I still have
> my Compaq Service Quick Reference Guide and within are a few pages on the
> Presario 500 Family. What is it you would like to know about the
> motherboard?

Not so much really, i have seen there are one set of RAM-chips on the
MB, i guess for VGA-memory ?
And i have one of two slots with place of max 64Mb RAM, waow :)

Ehh, it is pretty much clear of what i want to know or what i need to
know really, since i've already dismantled it for closer study :)

The built-in MODEM, how fast is it ?

I guess the time has come for me to wipe the dust of an OLD ISA-card for
network-use...

But, by all means, many thanks for replying, :)
Hope i dont seem to childish only because my need were smaller than i
anticipated my self.

T.

> Don Kelloway wrote:
>> "Torbjørn Morka" <tbm_ar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to get a
>>>manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something showing the
>>>motherboard etc...?
>>>Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??
>>>

>> Maybe I can help. As a former Tech Support employee of Compaq I still
>> have my Compaq Service Quick Reference Guide and within are a few pages
>> on the Presario 500 Family. What is it you would like to know about the
>> motherboard?
>>

> Not so much really, i have seen there are one set of RAM-chips on the MB,
> i guess for VGA-memory ?
> And i have one of two slots with place of max 64Mb RAM, waow :)
>
> Ehh, it is pretty much clear of what i want to know or what i need to know
> really, since i've already dismantled it for closer study :)
>
> The built-in MODEM, how fast is it ?
>
> I guess the time has come for me to wipe the dust of an OLD ISA-card for
> network-use...
>
> But, by all means, many thanks for replying, :)
> Hope i dont seem to childish only because my need were smaller than i
> anticipated my self.
>
> T.

The mobo comes with 4MB memory built-in so my guess is that you are looking
at these chips. Though you're already aware you can add a couple of
additional SIMMS (70ns), maximum 64MB. For the modem, it's a 9600bps.

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

hh

Don,
Consumer TechInfo lists the modem as a 14.4, which is what I recall the 500
series having. 9600s came in the 400/600/800 series Presarios.
Video RAM is 512K, non-upgradeable.
HH

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don,
> Consumer TechInfo lists the modem as a 14.4, which is what I recall the
> 500 series having. 9600s came in the 400/600/800 series Presarios.
> Video RAM is 512K, non-upgradeable.
> HH
>

> "Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
>> "Torbjørn Morka" <tbm_ar@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Not so much really, i have seen there are one set of RAM-chips on the
>>> MB, i guess for VGA-memory ?
>>> And i have one of two slots with place of max 64Mb RAM, waow :)
>>>
>>> Ehh, it is pretty much clear of what i want to know or what i need to
>>> know really, since i've already dismantled it for closer study :)
>>>
>>> The built-in MODEM, how fast is it ?
>>>
>>> I guess the time has come for me to wipe the dust of an OLD ISA-card for
>>> network-use...
>>>
>>> But, by all means, many thanks for replying, :)
>>> Hope i dont seem to childish only because my need were smaller than i
>>> anticipated my self.
>>>
>>> T.
>>
>> The mobo comes with 4MB memory built-in so my guess is that you are
>> looking at these chips. Though you're already aware you can add a couple
>> of additional SIMMS (70ns), maximum 64MB. For the modem, it's a 9600bps.

Hmm? In my reading the QRG (-29 Edition) pages 2-76 through 2-79, it
states "Presario 500 Family" of which it then lists the CDS524 as well as
all of the other flavors. I did however note upon reading the section more
closely that the 9600 modem is used in the International builds of the
product and there is nothing listed in the QRG for US Domestic build. Maybe
that's why? The 14.4 modem is used in the US builds? I dunno. Hopefully
the OP has the information he sought.

Got to love that old CDS524 with the TV Tuner. hehe

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

hh

Don,
Never was a 524 with a TV Tuner card. There was a 520 CDTV and a 528 CDTV.

> Don,
> Never was a 524 with a TV Tuner card. There was a 520 CDTV and a 528 CDTV.
> HH
>
> "Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Don,
>>> Consumer TechInfo lists the modem as a 14.4, which is what I recall the
>>> 500 series having. 9600s came in the 400/600/800 series Presarios.
>>> Video RAM is 512K, non-upgradeable.
>>> HH
>>>

>>> "Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message

>> Hmm? In my reading the QRG (-29 Edition) pages 2-76 through 2-79, it
>> states "Presario 500 Family" of which it then lists the CDS524 as well as
>> all of the other flavors. I did however note upon reading the section
>> more closely that the 9600 modem is used in the International builds of
>> the product and there is nothing listed in the QRG for US Domestic build.
>> Maybe that's why? The 14.4 modem is used in the US builds? I dunno.
>> Hopefully the OP has the information he sought.
>>
>> Got to love that old CDS524 with the TV Tuner. hehe

Unless I have mistaken the model I believe there was a CDS524 in our Tech
Support lab with the TV Tuner card. Of course we're talking eight years ago
so my memory could be faulty. Maybe it was a 528? Something I do remember
very distinctly is that Compaq had many flavors of every model.

--

Don Kelloway wrote:
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Don,
>>Never was a 524 with a TV Tuner card. There was a 520 CDTV and a 528 CDTV.
>>HH
>>
>>"Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ehh, what keystrokes for entering BIOS ?

Is it possible for the BIOS to Boot on CD-rom ?
(Or any BIOS-update available ?)

T..

> Ehh, what keystrokes for entering BIOS ?
>
> Is it possible for the BIOS to Boot on CD-rom ?
> (Or any BIOS-update available ?)

If I remember correctly. Restart the computer and as soon as you see the
square in the corner of the screen, press and hold the F10 key.

As for BIOS updates, probably not from Compaq. Best luck is with a
third-party.

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

hh

When the cursor jumps to the upper right corner of the Compaq Logo screen,
hit F10 (This is in the Compaq FAQ on this newsgroup.)
No, the old all-in-ones will not boot from a CD. That's why the Quickrestore
CD came with a boot floppy diskette.
Aparently HP, in its infinite wisdom, decided to drop all support for those
old units, circa 1995.
HH

"Torbjørn Morka" <tbm_ar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don Kelloway wrote:
>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Don,
>>>Never was a 524 with a TV Tuner card. There was a 520 CDTV and a 528
>>>CDTV.
>>>HH
>>>
>>>"Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message

> Ehh, what keystrokes for entering BIOS ?
>
> Is it possible for the BIOS to Boot on CD-rom ?
> (Or any BIOS-update available ?)
>
> T..

Right. Some bean counter probably came up with a saving of 100MB space on the
HP web site... Ben Myers

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:55:31 -0500, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When the cursor jumps to the upper right corner of the Compaq Logo screen,
>hit F10 (This is in the Compaq FAQ on this newsgroup.)
>No, the old all-in-ones will not boot from a CD. That's why the Quickrestore
>CD came with a boot floppy diskette.
>Aparently HP, in its infinite wisdom, decided to drop all support for those
>old units, circa 1995.
>HH

hh

Exactly. My main reference source is Consumer TechInfo, which used to be on
the web, available to all. HP pulled it a couple of years ago. Luckily I had
it on CD.
HH

> Right. Some bean counter probably came up with a saving of 100MB space on
> the
> HP web site... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:55:31 -0500, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>When the cursor jumps to the upper right corner of the Compaq Logo screen,
>>hit F10 (This is in the Compaq FAQ on this newsgroup.)
>>No, the old all-in-ones will not boot from a CD. That's why the
>>Quickrestore
>>CD came with a boot floppy diskette.
>>Aparently HP, in its infinite wisdom, decided to drop all support for
>>those
>>old units, circa 1995.
>>HH

Hey, Alittle by the side

Can anyone tell me if the Presario CDS 524 is build by standart
component (motherboard, screen.....) or if the motherboard is a
all-in-one.

Does anyone know what the max resolution is on the screen, if its
driven from another grafiqcard.

I am thinking on getting one and put a new motherboard in it.

Thanks
Kent

--
HighStop

hh

All Presario 500 series units are all-in-one designs. They were produced in
1995. The max screen res is 800x600x256 or 1024x768x16. The graphics
controller chip is on the motherboard. It is a Cirrus Logic CL-5434 chip
with 512K of video memory, not upgradeable.
Forget about trying to put a different motherboard in it. It is a 100%
proprietary system.
HH

"HighStop" <HighStop.1gjhwb@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> Hey, Alittle by the side
>
> Can anyone tell me if the Presario CDS 524 is build by standart
> component (motherboard, screen.....) or if the motherboard is a
> all-in-one.
>
> Does anyone know what the max resolution is on the screen, if its
> driven from another grafiqcard.
>
> I am thinking on getting one and put a new motherboard in it.
>
> Thanks
> Kent
>

> --
> HighStop

ungasg

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
I also still have my Presario CDS 524 and wonder if any of you guys know how to install a PCI card so that I could connect my internet surfing through a router used by other computer.
I realize that mine doesn't have the slot for the PCI card.
Possible to upgrade/change/install on the mother board?
Thanks for any answer