How well will my comp play GW2

imgen

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I recently purchased the game and want to play in this weekends beta.

System specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

AMD Athlon II X2 220

GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)

8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3

Solution
^+2
The GPU will handle the game I would say med settings with the 2 core CPU. But if you don't like playing on med settings then some time down the road you should upgrade your CPU to a 4 core and your GPU to anything but the 550 Ti.

I have two of them and these cards are the worst cards ever that nVidia ever came out with. Even with two of them I doubt I could even do high settings in that game and I am not even going to try.

They have enough problems with the other games I play. Good luck on your weekend beta game.

bacole08

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hi,

While I'm not too familiar with AMD processors, I'm assuming you should be able to run the game on Medium-High settings with your graphics card. Again this is assuming your processor won't bottleneck the graphics, as it is possible.

Do note though that during the last Beta weekend event, the game was not optimized. There has been no word if this coming weekend will feature a partially/fully optimized game or not. We'll just have to wait and see. It's good to test the game out with these Beta events to prepare you system for launch.

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
the graphics card will be fine, im not sure about the CPU though, i played the last beta with a AMD athlon x4 645 and it ran very fine. MMO's tend to be more CPU based rather than GPU. you should be able to play it, but you will find out next beta.

DM186

Splendid
^+2
The GPU will handle the game I would say med settings with the 2 core CPU. But if you don't like playing on med settings then some time down the road you should upgrade your CPU to a 4 core and your GPU to anything but the 550 Ti.

I have two of them and these cards are the worst cards ever that nVidia ever came out with. Even with two of them I doubt I could even do high settings in that game and I am not even going to try.

They have enough problems with the other games I play. Good luck on your weekend beta game.

Solution

imgen

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Well my comp handle Aion on high fairly well. with usually 45 - 60 fps, does that count for anything?

DM186

Splendid
Yes that counts and that is good fps. The 550 Ti's are the worst gaming cards that nVidia ever put out. The game you are talking about is maybe more CPU than GPU.

If I had known about the 550's I would have never bought them but I was trying to take a few short cuts so I could have better in other hardwear. In Shogun 2 I play on max settings with everything on and set to max.

And yet when I let my boy try playing BF3 lots of lag and fps at 5 to 20. In Shogun 2 fps on campain map 20 to 25 fps in the battle maps 60 to 80 fps. You will find out which games it will handle or not.

When I get enough money saved up I will get a much better GPU. I am on a fixed income so it is going to take longer to do what I need to do. There are some good things about the 550 Ti.

But there are more bad than good. There are lots of people who will agree with me on this card. And if you get good fps on some games count your self lucky. Good luck to you and injoy your game. Cheers

imgen

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Thank you for the reply. Do you think they will release drivers that fix the problems of the 550ti? Or is the mechanics of the card just bad and cannot be fixed? And also idk if this matters but i have the FPB version of the 550ti.

550Ti is already last generation, if they haven't fixed it up until now they will not bother fixing it post fact unless it's a glaring problem.

That said, usually when a new game comes out manufacturers (nvidia and ati) put out performance patches for the drivers.

Bottom line is the following, if you already have the rig you described, play the beta with it and see how it handles. After that you will have a much better idea on where you are and where you want to be with the GW2 performance and you'll be able to do the upgrades if necessary before the official launch.