hp deskjet 720 shows up 'new' in xp every time reconnected

i have a hp 720c connected to my dell 5100 running xp pro
thru a powered usb hub. every time i plug the printer back
in--wether it's thru the hub or directly into a usb port on
my machine--the 'found new hardware' wizard shows up and
takes me thru the driver installation process... is this
normal? i then get 2 copies of the 720 in my printers
control panel and just wind up having to delete the old one
(because it will no longer print, unless i select the newly
installed version from whatever app i'm trying to print
from), making the just-installed one the default... it's
not really a problem, but it is annoying and it just
doesn't seem right... am i missing something? thanks...

Hi , I think XP is enumerating the setup of Printer.
Have you installed the IHV driver for the 720c. because then everytime XP will plug and play the Printer and will install the Inbox drvier available for the printer.
If so you can simply keep the inbox printer and make the other one ( which ever you want ) as a default printer. You can also rename the inbox printer as " HP Deskjet 720c Inbox".

see if this help

"stm" wrote:

> i have a hp 720c connected to my dell 5100 running xp pro
> thru a powered usb hub. every time i plug the printer back
> in--wether it's thru the hub or directly into a usb port on
> my machine--the 'found new hardware' wizard shows up and
> takes me thru the driver installation process... is this
> normal? i then get 2 copies of the 720 in my printers
> control panel and just wind up having to delete the old one
> (because it will no longer print, unless i select the newly
> installed version from whatever app i'm trying to print
> from), making the just-installed one the default... it's
> not really a problem, but it is annoying and it just
> doesn't seem right... am i missing something? thanks...

Can you cancel the install process? And if so, what is the result?

Tom
MSMVP-DTS

"stm" <stmcmaho@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>i have a hp 720c connected to my dell 5100 running xp pro
> thru a powered usb hub. every time i plug the printer back
> in--wether it's thru the hub or directly into a usb port on
> my machine--the 'found new hardware' wizard shows up and
> takes me thru the driver installation process... is this
> normal? i then get 2 copies of the 720 in my printers
> control panel and just wind up having to delete the old one
> (because it will no longer print, unless i select the newly
> installed version from whatever app i'm trying to print
> from), making the just-installed one the default... it's
> not really a problem, but it is annoying and it just
> doesn't seem right... am i missing something? thanks...

sure, i can cancel the install process, but then i'm stuck
with the 'old' 720 in my printer control panel, and i can't
print to that printer...

also not sure what NileshKT was talking about with the IHV
and inbox drivers... it seems to be doing exactly what he
said though: xp plug and plays the printer every time it
gets connected... the driver that gets installed is
whatever the default driver is that's stored in xp...

There is no question that the printer is being detected when it boots. That
is normal. However, XP should also recognise that the printer is installed
and not try to install drivers for it. The fact that it is re-detecting
sometimes is caused by a bad install of the printer in the first instance.

Sometimes the bad install results from an install attempt of drivers that
were downloaded or on a CD with the printer. These do not install properly
for one reason or another (the user mistakenly and unknowingly not allowing
the procedure to run to completion is one cause) so the next time XP starts
it detects the printer, finds no drivers and installs its own.

I think that is what NileshKT might mean.

The fact that XP will not now use the installed drivers is one symptom. Now,
how to fix.

Delete the present driver using the facilities of Printers and faxes
Highlight printer right mouse click Delete.

Check Add remove programs in control panel for any mention of
printer-related software.

Go to HP's web site and get the install instructions for the printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd09005&lang=en&cc=us

"Tiny" version
http://tinyurl.com/37pce

Use them to install the drivers.