Fax printer is installed but Fax Console doesn't recognize..

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.....
The fax printer is installed, the modem query returns, and in fact I sent a
fax using the Send a Fax Wizard. The recipient called to confirm its
receipt. However, the Fax Monitor didn't appear during transmission--it was
configured to do so-- and the sent fax doesn't show up in the Fax Console's
"Sent" folder. I am unable to import sent fax messages from their store
folder....it just keeps cycling past the number it indicates are being
imported, and I have to Cancel. The Fax Console status line says "All fax
printers are inaccessible."
This all worked just fine last week; a few days ago I had to do an OS repair
(XP Professional) because of another problem and Fax hasn't worked since
then. It won't answer the fax line, even though configured to do so. Yes,
SP1 is installed and I don't run NIS.
In which order do I need to remove modem, fax printer, and Fax Console and
reinstall. Or am I past being able to fix it that way. Will I have to edit
the registry?
Help!

(and thanks)
Jan
1 answer Last reply
More about printer installed console doesn recognize

    The usual fix is to install Windows XP Service Pack 1. Certain registry
    keys on which Fax depends can be wiped out by certain update or repair
    operations in XP and causes this behavior. SP1 fixes the problem.
    Alternatively:

    1. Save the attachment to this post (or paste the text between dashed lines
    at the bottom of this message into Notepad and save it).

    2. Rename it RPCProt.reg

    3. Go to Windows Explorer and double-click on RPCProt.reg - this would apply
    the key to the registry (assuming that Merge is the default action).

    3a. If double clicking the RENAMED file opens Notepad or WordPad, go to
    'Start|Run', type REGEDIT, click OK, then go to 'File|Import' and navigate
    to the file.

    4. Stop and then restart the fax service.

    The contents of the attached file:
    --------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols]
    "ncacn_np"="rpcrt4.dll"
    "ncacn_ip_tcp"="rpcrt4.dll"
    "ncadg_ip_udp"="rpcrt4.dll"
    "ncacn_http"="rpcrt4.dll"
    -------------------------------------

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    "Jan Works" <jan@works-words.com> wrote in message
    > I hope someone can point me in the right direction.....
    > The fax printer is installed, the modem query returns, and in fact I sent
    > fax using the Send a Fax Wizard. The recipient called to confirm its
    > receipt. However, the Fax Monitor didn't appear during transmission--it
    was
    > configured to do so-- and the sent fax doesn't show up in the Fax
    Console's
    > "Sent" folder. I am unable to import sent fax messages from their store
    > folder....it just keeps cycling past the number it indicates are being
    > imported, and I have to Cancel. The Fax Console status line says "All fax
    > printers are inaccessible."
    > This all worked just fine last week; a few days ago I had to do an OS
    repair
    > (XP Professional) because of another problem and Fax hasn't worked since
    > then. It won't answer the fax line, even though configured to do so. Yes,
    > SP1 is installed and I don't run NIS.
    > In which order do I need to remove modem, fax printer, and Fax Console and
    > reinstall. Or am I past being able to fix it that way. Will I have to edit
    > the registry?
    > Help!
    >
    > (and thanks)
    > Jan