EQL Tracking Gorenaire

Greetings,

I need to kill Gorenaire, the famed Dreadlands dragon, for a sub-quest of the Paladin Epic
1.0 . Obtaining my Fiery Defender is not a high priority, but it would be nice to be
actively working on it again.

(For the knowledgeable Paladins: the Plane of Hate MOB might still be bugged, which would
prevent obtaining the FD, but I should be able to complete the FA quest without any
problems.)

It has occurred to me that I might have an easier time locating Gorenaire (and nailing
down the spawn) if I create a tracking mule and park him in DL.

Which class has the best tracking ability at lower levels? What level would I need to
attain to get reliable results? Having never had a tracker...will I see mob names and
locations, or what will I see? Where in DL would you recommend that I park this tracker?

Best regards,

Tim ==
(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Seeq Endestroi
Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
http://www.gravewisdom.com

Seeq Endestroi wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I need to kill Gorenaire, the famed Dreadlands dragon, for a sub-quest of the Paladin Epic
> 1.0 . Obtaining my Fiery Defender is not a high priority, but it would be nice to be
> actively working on it again.
>
> (For the knowledgeable Paladins: the Plane of Hate MOB might still be bugged, which would
> prevent obtaining the FD, but I should be able to complete the FA quest without any
> problems.)
>
> It has occurred to me that I might have an easier time locating Gorenaire (and nailing
> down the spawn) if I create a tracking mule and park him in DL.
>
> Which class has the best tracking ability at lower levels?

Having played a ranger and a druid to the high 50's (ranger) and low
50's (druid), I can unequivocally say the ranger has the best tracking
ability. :) (Druid tracking suxxors :p.)

>What level would I need to attain to get reliable results?

From what I remember (it's been a long time since I was a low level
ranger), your tracking is always reliable. The only thing that changes
as you get higher in tracking skill is the distance at which you can
track. So, if I have it correct, a tracking skill of 100 is as reliable
as a tracking skill of 200, it's just the skill of 200 lets you track
mobs that are further away.

>Having never had a tracker...will I see mob names and locations, or
>what will I see?

As a ranger, you have the option of sorting your tracking list. (Can't
remember if this is true at skill level 1 or not though.) When you
hit your Tracking button, you will see a window that has a list of
the mobs within your tracking distance. You can sort them by the
latest mobs to spawn <Normal> or by how close they are to you <Distance>
and maybe a third one but I have used it so rarely that I can't remember
what it is or even if there is a third one. :p You can also modify
your list so that you don't see certain cons <i.e., doesn't show the
green mobs.> You can also filter out player characters but I don't do
that either so not sure if it's PCs and NPCs or just one of them.

What you will see (depending on the way you choose to sort your list)
is a list of mobs names sorted by either distance from you or by how
long ago they spawned. No locations. When you highlight a mob and hit
the Track button, you will start getting messages. Gorenair is straight
ahead. Gorenaire is ahead and to the left. Gorenaire is behind you.
Gorenair is RIGHT HE...Loading, please wait. <Sorry, not that last one.>

>Where in DL would you recommend that I park this tracker?

I would think that even a level 1 ranger could track Gorenaire from
the druid spires, but I don't *really* know. When my 59 ranger has
gotten ported in in the past, she's always been able to find him on
track if he's up. OTOH, when my 51 druid ports in, she has to run
closer to the tunnel to see if she's up and sometimes even then she
can't see him/her because Gore has wandered too far out of her tracking
range.

Tracey

Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in news:4239E194.2060503@aol.com:

> Seeq Endestroi wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I need to kill Gorenaire, the famed Dreadlands dragon, for a
>> sub-quest of the Paladin Epic 1.0 . Obtaining my Fiery Defender is
>> not a high priority, but it would be nice to be actively working on
>> it again.
>>
>> (For the knowledgeable Paladins: the Plane of Hate MOB might still be
>> bugged, which would prevent obtaining the FD, but I should be able to
>> complete the FA quest without any problems.)
>>
>> It has occurred to me that I might have an easier time locating
>> Gorenaire (and nailing down the spawn) if I create a tracking mule
>> and park him in DL.
>>
>> Which class has the best tracking ability at lower levels?
>
> Having played a ranger and a druid to the high 50's (ranger) and low
> 50's (druid), I can unequivocally say the ranger has the best tracking
> ability. :) (Druid tracking suxxors :p.)

Depends on what he means by lower levels...

Cap is 5 points per level as I recall, druid hard cap is lower than
ranger hard cap, and at level 20 rangers get the ability to sort. If by
low level he means sub 20, and low enough that the druid hard cap is not
hit, then either one will work equally well. Given that, whichever one
is higher level is best, until the ranger is high enough level to beat
the druid cap and/or sort.

>>What level would I need to attain to get reliable results?
>
> From what I remember (it's been a long time since I was a low level
> ranger), your tracking is always reliable. The only thing that changes
> as you get higher in tracking skill is the distance at which you can
> track. So, if I have it correct, a tracking skill of 100 is as
> reliable as a tracking skill of 200, it's just the skill of 200 lets
> you track mobs that are further away.

Yes. For all tracking classes this is true.

>>Having never had a tracker...will I see mob names and locations, or
>>what will I see?
>
> As a ranger, you have the option of sorting your tracking list. (Can't
> remember if this is true at skill level 1 or not though.) When you

You cannot sort until you are level 20, see above.

> hit your Tracking button, you will see a window that has a list of
> the mobs within your tracking distance. You can sort them by the
> latest mobs to spawn <Normal>

<Normal> is what the druid will always see, same for a bard. Bard cap is
even lower than druid though, and I think bards don't get track until a
certain level, not certain to be honest.

> or by how close they are to you
> <Distance> and maybe a third one but I have used it so rarely that I
> can't remember what it is or even if there is a third one. :p You can
> also modify your list so that you don't see certain cons <i.e.,
> doesn't show the green mobs.> You can also filter out player
> characters but I don't do that either so not sure if it's PCs and NPCs
> or just one of them.
>
> What you will see (depending on the way you choose to sort your list)
> is a list of mobs names sorted by either distance from you or by how
> long ago they spawned. No locations. When you highlight a mob and hit
> the Track button, you will start getting messages. Gorenair is
> straight ahead. Gorenaire is ahead and to the left. Gorenaire is
> behind you. Gorenair is RIGHT HE...Loading, please wait. <Sorry, not
> that last one.>
>
>>Where in DL would you recommend that I park this tracker?
>
> I would think that even a level 1 ranger could track Gorenaire from
> the druid spires, but I don't *really* know. When my 59 ranger has
> gotten ported in in the past, she's always been able to find him on
> track if he's up. OTOH, when my 51 druid ports in, she has to run
> closer to the tunnel to see if she's up and sometimes even then she
> can't see him/her because Gore has wandered too far out of her
> tracking range.

As I vaguely recall from the couple of encounters I had (both of which I
survived I might add), the northwest corner of the big open area of the
zone (outside the hidden valley with the druid and wizard portals) is the
best spot. I would park a bit south of the corner, as Gore tends to path
along the north wall I think. Invis will be very handy.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner

On 17 Mar 2005 20:32:13 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in news:4239E194.2060503@aol.com:

[snip]

>> Having played a ranger and a druid to the high 50's (ranger) and low
>> 50's (druid), I can unequivocally say the ranger has the best tracking
>> ability. :) (Druid tracking suxxors :p.)
>
>Depends on what he means by lower levels...
>
>Cap is 5 points per level as I recall, druid hard cap is lower than
>ranger hard cap, and at level 20 rangers get the ability to sort. If by
>low level he means sub 20, and low enough that the druid hard cap is not
>hit, then either one will work equally well. Given that, whichever one
>is higher level is best, until the ranger is high enough level to beat
>the druid cap and/or sort.

Actually, rangers can sort tracking starting at level 1 (I just tried
it myself by creating a newbie ranger). And of course rangers are the
only class that can sort their tracking list, plus being the only
class that can filter out certain colored /con mobs (e.g., they can
filter out green /con mobs so they won't show up on their list).

[snip]

http://members.cox.net/batchild1
http://members.cox.net/scorseseinfo

"Batchild (Sue M.)" <batchild1@cox.net> wrote in

> On 17 Mar 2005 20:32:13 GMT, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in news:4239E194.2060503@aol.com:
>>

> [snip]
>
>>> Having played a ranger and a druid to the high 50's (ranger) and low
>>> 50's (druid), I can unequivocally say the ranger has the best
tracking
>>> ability. :) (Druid tracking suxxors :p.)
>>
>>Depends on what he means by lower levels...
>>
>>Cap is 5 points per level as I recall, druid hard cap is lower than
>>ranger hard cap, and at level 20 rangers get the ability to sort. If
by
>>low level he means sub 20, and low enough that the druid hard cap is
not
>>hit, then either one will work equally well. Given that, whichever one
>>is higher level is best, until the ranger is high enough level to beat
>>the druid cap and/or sort.
>>

> Actually, rangers can sort tracking starting at level 1 (I just tried
> it myself by creating a newbie ranger). And of course rangers are the
> only class that can sort their tracking list, plus being the only
> class that can filter out certain colored /con mobs (e.g., they can
> filter out green /con mobs so they won't show up on their list).

Have not checked with my ranger in quite some time, used to be level
limited, guess that was changed. Regardless, for tracking Gore, he will
want to use the highest level druid or ranger, unless the ranger has
higher tracking than the druid hardcap. It's not really necessary to
sort, just handy, better to have the added range of higher skill level.

--

Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> writes:
> > Which class has the best tracking ability at lower levels?
>
> Having played a ranger and a druid to the high 50's (ranger) and low
> 50's (druid), I can unequivocally say the ranger has the best tracking
> ability. :) (Druid tracking suxxors :p.)

Druid tracking is a helluvalot more useful than no tracking at all,
as I can say from playing both ways. But I agree that rangers win
hands down.

I did once create a ranger just to check whether they had different
level caps or tracking range, and found only three differences between
ranger track and druid track: (1) Rangers can get it at a lower level.
I forget what level my druid had to get before learning Track, but I
think rangers get it at level 1. (2) Rangers have a higher class cap.
At low levels, both are limited to skill (5 x Level) + 5, once they can
learn the skill at all. But druids can never get past 125, whereas
rangers at level 25 and higher can continue to raise the skill to 200
or maybe more. The level of the skill matters because, as you say, it
determines how far away things can get and still be in your range.
(3) Rangers can sort their list in a lot more ways. That's the one
that makes rangers win hands down, though the higher maximum range is
important too if you're willing to get to level 39 or wherever your
skill finally caps out.

> From what I remember (it's been a long time since I was a low level
> ranger), your tracking is always reliable. The only thing that changes
> as you get higher in tracking skill is the distance at which you can
> track. So, if I have it correct, a tracking skill of 100 is as reliable
> as a tracking skill of 200, it's just the skill of 200 lets you track
> mobs that are further away.

Exactly. The maximum range is (10 x Skill) + 50, ignoring the Z axis.
(I ran some tests once. :) I think that if a mob or PC is in range when
you open or refresh the Track window, it'll stay on your list for a while
even if it moves out of range, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

> As a ranger, you have the option of sorting your tracking list. (Can't
> remember if this is true at skill level 1 or not though.) When you
> hit your Tracking button, you will see a window that has a list of
> the mobs within your tracking distance. You can sort them by the
> latest mobs to spawn <Normal> or by how close they are to you <Distance>
> and maybe a third one but I have used it so rarely that I can't remember
> what it is or even if there is a third one.

I don't recall now, but I think it's alphabetical? So if you're just
looking for a particular mob you can look it up? Both that and distance
are really nice compared to the "normal" list sorted by how long it's
been in the zone. Sure, that does have its uses as well when clearing
placeholders and such, but if I was going to be stuck with just one
form of the list, I think I'd rather have either of the other two as my
"required" choice.

> What you will see (depending on the way you choose to sort your list)
> is a list of mobs names sorted by either distance from you or by how
> long ago they spawned. No locations. When you highlight a mob and hit
> the Track button, you will start getting messages. Gorenair is straight
> ahead. Gorenaire is ahead and to the left. Gorenaire is behind you.
> Gorenair is RIGHT HE...Loading, please wait. <Sorry, not that last one.>

Hehe. I *have* occasionally had that reaction to the sequence "X is ahead
of you. X is to the left. X is behind you." If it never has a chance to
say "X is ahead and to the left", it often means I did run by very close
to it. And sometimes I *have* then turned around and found it in my face!

> >Where in DL would you recommend that I park this tracker?
>
> I would think that even a level 1 ranger could track Gorenaire from
> the druid spires, but I don't *really* know. When my 59 ranger has
> gotten ported in in the past, she's always been able to find him on
> track if he's up. OTOH, when my 51 druid ports in, she has to run
> closer to the tunnel to see if she's up and sometimes even then she
> can't see him/her because Gore has wandered too far out of her tracking
> range.

If your druid can't do it from the spires, then neither can a ranger
until at least PC level 25 (skill 130), because the druid's range at
125 isn't any worse than a ranger with skill 125. On the other hand,
I've had occasion to track things in DL, so I measured the zone and
found my druid could check the whole zone by running east-west twice,
going along about 1/4 of the way away from the north and south walls.
And the druid can get there faster, so that makes up for the extra
running. :)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 50 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

Batchild (Sue M.) wrote:
> Actually, rangers can sort tracking starting at level 1 (I just tried
> it myself by creating a newbie ranger). And of course rangers are
the
> only class that can sort their tracking list, plus being the only
> class that can filter out certain colored /con mobs (e.g., they can
> filter out green /con mobs so they won't show up on their list).

I don't think that the ability to filter is going to be all that useful
to a lowbie ranger in DL. :) Wouldn't that just equate to track
everything and track nothing when you filter the red cons?

steve.kaye

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:59:14 GMT in <4239E194.2060503@aol.com>, Tracey
<rbrancher2@aol.com> graced the world with this thought:

>Seeq Endestroi wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I need to kill Gorenaire, the famed Dreadlands dragon, for a sub-quest of the Paladin Epic
>> 1.0 . Obtaining my Fiery Defender is not a high priority, but it would be nice to be
>> actively working on it again.
>>
>> (For the knowledgeable Paladins: the Plane of Hate MOB might still be bugged, which would
>> prevent obtaining the FD, but I should be able to complete the FA quest without any
>> problems.)
>>
>> It has occurred to me that I might have an easier time locating Gorenaire (and nailing
>> down the spawn) if I create a tracking mule and park him in DL.
>>
>> Which class has the best tracking ability at lower levels?
>
>Having played a ranger and a druid to the high 50's (ranger) and low
>50's (druid), I can unequivocally say the ranger has the best tracking
>ability. :) (Druid tracking suxxors :p.)

How does Gorenaire feel about virgin rangers that haven't done
anything to irritate her faction? Just curious.

I always found it kind of amusing when people would tell me in wolf
form, travelling through DL "You shouldn't be in wf, you're KOS."

Yeah, like Gorenaire likes me after all her buddies I've killed. WF
was the only shot of getting away if she spawned...

bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> writes:
> How does Gorenaire feel about virgin rangers that haven't done
> anything to irritate her faction? Just curious.

Dunno, but when I first saw her it was with my druid, and I was
merely apprehensive.

My monk, on the other hand, was KOS. I thought I was watching
her from a safe distance, but somebody had left her at about 80%
hits, so after a moment I saw her turn and face me, and next
thing I knew I'd been summoned. Good thing FD worked...

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in

> [...]
>> the druid spires, but I don't *really* know. When my 59 ranger has
>> gotten ported in in the past, she's always been able to find him on
>> track if he's up. OTOH, when my 51 druid ports in, she has to run
>> closer to the tunnel to see if she's up and sometimes even then she
>> can't see him/her because Gore has wandered too far out of her
>> tracking range.
>
> If your druid can't do it from the spires, then neither can a ranger
> until at least PC level 25 (skill 130), because the druid's range at
> 125 isn't any worse than a ranger with skill 125. On the other hand,
> I've had occasion to track things in DL, so I measured the zone and
> found my druid could check the whole zone by running east-west twice,
> going along about 1/4 of the way away from the north and south walls.
> And the druid can get there faster, so that makes up for the extra

I vaguely recall that druids can purchase an AA to raise their cap, not
at all certain about that. There was also a bug for a while, and I know
druids with tracking at 200, if not higher.

--

Don Woods wrote:
> Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> writes:
>
>>>Which class has the best tracking ability at lower levels?
>>
>>Having played a ranger and a druid to the high 50's (ranger) and low
>>50's (druid), I can unequivocally say the ranger has the best tracking
>>ability. :) (Druid tracking suxxors :p.)
>

> Druid tracking is a helluvalot more useful than no tracking at all,
> as I can say from playing both ways. But I agree that rangers win
> hands down.

True, druid tracking is better than no tracking. But I do still
curse it when I'm on my druid. Of course, when I'm on my mage or
enchanter, I curse the fact that I don't have tracking at all. :)

Tracey